Candlemas/Grunsow Day

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 11:42 am
We're halfway through the winter.

I've just finished cutting and arranging some forsythia sprays to force inside. My pussy willow catkins are furry outside. I've had snowdrops for three weeks, as well as some sprouting daffodils.

My potatoes are sprouting and I have an onion with a three inch green blade.

The local chickadees are singing courting songs. A pair of out-of-season flickers has been visiting the suet feeder.

Winter is half gone--and we've survived the darker half. We haven't had this much daylight since Halloween.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 636 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 02:41 pm
What means "Grunsow Day"? (NB: I know quite a bit about Candlemas Day, Purification of Mary etc as well as the non-Christian background - but never came across this term.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 02:42 pm
I betcha it means Groundhog...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_day
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 03:38 pm
Walter--

Osso has it right. This is PA Dutchy country and only the "English" talk about "groundhogs".

At one time every little town had a Grundsow Lodge and the members would stay up all night drinking before the weather forecast at dawn.

Another evocative Groundhog name is "whistlepig".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 03:54 pm
Wow, since Halloween!

Did you know that the daylight savings time change will be coming much earlier than usual this year, too? We will be "springing forward" on March 11th -- only a month or so until we get another hour of evening daylight.

It's still veryvery cold and snowy here. Some daffodils (I think) were overconfident around Christmas (they got to about 6 inches tall -- just leaves) and have huddled piteously in the snow without growing much more since. I remember that last year that something similar happened and I was reassured that they would be fine, and they were.

Nothing blooming yet though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 05:25 pm
My son informed me that the change in Daylight Savings Time is costing millions to reprogram computers.
0 Replies

plantress

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 02:53 pm
that sounds so nice! We have snow on the ground here in Maryland. Where are you?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 04:10 pm
Triple posted on me. My buttons got a hair trigger.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Candlemas/Grunsow Day
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 01:35:59