Brain Flab

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 09:47 pm
This morning a fellow A2Ker sent me an article regarding a video game that allows one to be a guitar hero in no time flat.

Okay.... you don't really learn how to play the guitar but you feel like you're really playing the guitar. The article questioned whether kids might still put in the hard work to really learn how to play a guitar.

This idea was fresh in my head as my family set out for an inagural ride on the new aerial tram. Everyone there had a camera.

I started thinking about the olden days when I was in photography school and just starting out in photography. Not only did you have to choose the right lens and settings you had to choose the right film, the right chemicals - that you had to mix right and store right and keep at the right temperature. I carried a gray card and a light meter and I bracketed my exposures. I threw away 90% of what I shot.

Now I love digital photography with it's click and fix methodology. Sure, you still make a lot of decisions but not nearly as many as before. Digital photography is forgiving in a way that film photography could never be.

And I like that ease. But I do realize that a certain part of my thinking process has grown flabby. It's a muscle that I don't use much anymore. The lack of exercise has led to flab in related areas and I sometimes find myself in snapshot mode, not really thinking about what I'm trying to do, or say, or see because I know how easy it will be to fix.

Fixing is a skill in it's own right - but a different skill - one that I still have a hard time giving myself over to because I see that I didn't do it right the first time.

But that's just me.

Has any part of your brain grown flabby over the years?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 489 • Replies: 7
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 09:52 pm
What were we just talking about ?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 10:08 pm
I used to be pretty proficient at speaking/understanding French but have no real opportunity to practise it. I live in Canada for pete's sake, there's TV and radio galore, books, newspapers, but that would take real effort on my part and I'm just too lazy. Now when we visit Quebec, it takes weeks to even begin to get the hang of it and I have a constant low grade headache while trying to cope. I know I'm about to make a breakthrough when I start dreaming in French but by then it's usually time to leave for home.

(I know what you mean about cameras -- we still don't have a digital, just an old 35 mm with manual everything. I prefer those photos but hate waiting for the film to be finished to we can get it developed.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 09:34 am
Language is a good one, Tai. I can see how an unused language would turn to flab.

I'm willing to bet I would experience the same low grade headache if forced to retreive my old darkroom know-how from that gone to flab part of my brain.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 09:38 am
My trigonometry skills have eroded considerably.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 09:52 am
Well, speaking about photography, since I don't play any instrument.

I don't think that I photograph digital quite different than with my old camera: still deciding what lens I take, still trying to regard all the various lights, distances etc.
The only great advantage is that I look at the pics instantly, throw them away with no cost and thus can make more photos. :wink:

Language? Well, it all comes back - thanks to George, I even remember my Latin (though I'm not any better than at school 40 years ago Laughing ).
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 10:39 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

i never had any.

the langauge skills is one I notice with exchange students. It tkes 6 months or so for a new language to bed in then around 96-9 months for it to begin to fade away. I'm not sure it ever really goes away completely older kids who go back to their host country find it come back reasonably quickly.

I also find that computer courses are almost useless unless you get lots of practice with the new tricks and tips. Like using excell and word fuctions or auto formating documents etc.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 09:30 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

As have my slide rule skills.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Brain Flab
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 04:16:43