The Good Old Days?

New Haven

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:03 am
Some guys used to sell the Encyclopedia door-to-door.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 08:15 pm
Never answered your question about Steve Allen and the high school, NH. Hyde Park High School was on 64/65 St. and Stony Island, across from the park and the Museum of Science and Industry. Englewood High School was further west on 62/63 St., between Halsted and the Dan Ryan expressway.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2003 08:23 am
Remember both the days when ice and coal were an essential of living well. The ice man would have to lug it up at times to the 4th floor of a building. You would never get today worker to do that. I remember how we had to make sure that the water from the melting ice in the ice box was emptied out or it would be all over the kitchen floor. I remember with nostalgia the good old days but in retrospect I above all remember that they were not as good as one remembers them.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2003 03:33 am
Phoenix, I think you and I were at the same movie theater. Same children's section. Same matron.

I remember people taking their folding chairs outside to sit on the street to escape the summer heat in un-air-conditioned apartments. It was lively outside until all hours. I remember punchball and stickball with manhole covers as bases. I remember the seltzer man delivering door to door--blue glass bottles with a spritzer. I remember when a penny could buy you something. And so coukd a nickel and a dime.

I remember not locking the door. Yes, in NYC.

I remember the kind of roller skates that required a key. (I've still got my key.) When I got them on really well, I wouldn't take them off. Went upstairs for lunch (third floor walk-up) with my skates on. My mother understood. She had the same kind of skates when she was a kid.

I could go on, but I'll stop.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Good Old Days?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 09:06:01