Beijing 2008

cello

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:34 pm
There is nothing that puts a city on the map of the world as the Olympic Games. I think not only it is an honour to be chosen but also a pleasure to be receiving visitors from all over the world, and that all eyes are on your country/culture when the events take place.

I just wonder how the people in China, and especially in Beijing, are feeling about hosting the 2008 Olympic Games?

Are the sports facilities almost all finished already? Where will the Games be held? How many volunteers would be helping out?

I know a lot of people have been learning English to be able to extend hospitality to the visitors. I read very good things about how Beijing prepared itself to receive visiting countries to the China-Africa Summit in Beijing, and it is expected that even more will be done for the Olympics. As for myself, I just can't wait for Beijing 2008. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,998 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:16 pm
I've been following architecture in China for a while now, but not all that closely, so I'm not sure how they are doing re 2008. Getting ready for the Olympics has been a scramble for a lot of other cities. Sometimes the very expensive venues are never used again. Somehow I think that in China they will be used.

This is not a sports site but an architectual one - you might be interested in it as a general site, as it is where I've seen a number of good articles about building in China. I can't remember if there is a search function, but if there is, that should be handy ----

http://archnewsnow.com

OK, I checked, they do have a search function.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 08:02 pm
Thanks, Ossobuco, nice link. Smile I am actually interested in architecture, especially ancient ones (Greek, Egyptian, Chinese, etc.).

From what I know, the Chinese government decided not to build new sports facilities if they can use/renovate/expand existing ones, so as to cut costs as much as possible, because of the experience of disastrous financial debts that previous Olympic cities have incurred. China wants a green Olympics, so that's going to be interesting to see. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:29 am
I'd be curious to compare these Media Guide kits with similar press packages issued in the West.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/2008/2007-03/22/content_834398.htm
0 Replies

cello

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2007 07:12 pm
It is said that they were prepared according to the guidelines, so I am not sure if there would be much difference. I am curious though to know which TV companies would get the exclusive coverage for North America.
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 05:53 am
not interesting in it at all...
but the opening show... Smile
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 12:26 pm
I can't wait to see the opening show and the closing show. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 01:35 pm
It just so happens that the San Jose Mercury News has several pages devoted to the Beijing games. They plan to have 100,000 volunteers at the Olympic venues, and another 300,000 volunteers throughout the city to help visitors. They're expecting 550,000 visitors.

The problem they are having are several. Air polution is a big one, becuase the athletes will be expected to perform at their peak with poluted air. They're trying to cut down on auto polution, moving factories further out from the city, and building public transportation from the airport into the city.

Another problem they have is their political policies that restrict democracy. Some people around the world are trying to call for a boycott of the games.

However, if they pull this off without a hitch, they'll put China on the map that will help their country become more accepted around the globe.

I'll be in Beijing in November of this year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 01:42 pm
I've read it's peak air pollution time too....
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 03:31 pm
It's not only pollution but the heat also, that's why they hold the Games I think later in August.

As for boycotting because of restrictions on democracy, I think that should have been thought of before they gave the Games to China. There are always some disgruntled people trying to boycott the Olympics somewhere. This is about sports, not politics.

All that being said, it will be interesting to see the Olympics in an Asian country. Other than Japan and Korea, I think no other Asian country has hosted them.

You are lucky to be there in November, CI. I wish I could visit China too. There are very interesting times for China and Chinese people.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 08:32 am
The Olympic flame is lit.

http://torchrelay.beijing2008.cn/en/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 11:31 am
cello wrote:
It's not only pollution but the heat also, that's why they hold the Games I think later in August.

As for boycotting because of restrictions on democracy, I think that should have been thought of before they gave the Games to China. There are always some disgruntled people trying to boycott the Olympics somewhere. This is about sports, not politics.

All that being said, it will be interesting to see the Olympics in an Asian country. Other than Japan and Korea, I think no other Asian country has hosted them.

You are lucky to be there in November, CI. I wish I could visit China too. There are very interesting times for China and Chinese people.

China is a fast growing, fascinating, country with much to see. The historical sites are excellent, and they have many modern conveniences for tourists - although it requires using their hole in the ground toilets once in awhile when bussing from one location to another. There are many contrasts from the beautiful, modern, museums to the Great Wall. The unfortunate part of the fast economic growth is their pollution problems, and the poor barely surviving with their food costs increasing at ridiculous inflation rates (at 28 percent past year). You wouldn't know it by the huge supermarkets showing big crowds buying all manners of local and imported foods. Most Chinese do not have central heating in their homes, even in the climates where it's freezing temperatures. We stayed overnight in a village outside of Xian (home of the teracotta soldiers) for one day with a host family, and most of us froze our buns. Their kitchen is not even fully enclosed, and open to the elements. It was still an interesting experience to live how many Chinese live today.

We must remember that China is composed of over 50 different tribes, and their connection to the west through the Silk Road has influenced much of what China is today. In May, I will have the opportunity to visit the 5-stans above Afghanistan that was also part of the Silk Road.

We drove by Olympic City when we were in Beijing, and the "birds nest" (the main venue), and the swimming pavilion are really modern and world class. I hope the olympics turns out to be a success.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 02:36 pm
Interesting what you said about their connection with the West through the Silk Road has influenced what China is today. It has not been such a closed societyafter all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 03:45 pm
Xian has over 50,000 Muslims today; and they still have the same district inside the walls (one of the oldest surrouding a whole city in the world).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2008 06:34 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
It was still an interesting experience to live how many Chinese live today.

I'll take your word for it c.i.
0 Replies

tuppence

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 10:08 am
I am not interested in olympic games, although I am form china.The government spent too much money on the game,but many people are very poor. Please pay more attention to the lower people.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 08:09 pm
tuppence wrote:
I am not interested in olympic games, although I am form china.The government spent too much money on the game,but many people are very poor. Please pay more attention to the lower people.

tuppence, Welcome to a2k. It's true that the Chinese government is spending too much money on the olympic games when so many in China are suffering from lack of food and water, pollution that's killing hundreds almost every day, and the majority of its people living in poverty.

Unfortunately, it's not only the Chinese government that doesn't see the suffering of its own people; we in the US are spending 12 billion dollars every month in Iraq, while our infrastructure, schools, and more middle class and the poor are unable to stay in their homes or buy food.

It's a world-wide tragedy where governments lack the common sense to take care of its own citizens before trying to help the rest of the world where hunger is common. There aren't very many good government leaders in this world past or present; whether rich or poor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 04:14 pm
My mother just sent some images of the olympic gardens. They are astounding! Here's a link.

http://w-uh.com/posts/080618-China_olympic_gard.html

http://w-uh.com/images/china_olympic_gardens/image020.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 02:46 pm
littlek, Those figurines sorta reminded me of what we saw in Montreal several years ago.
0 Replies

Sarati

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 09:26 am
CI's comments are quiet objective.

The nation are now ready for the game. Sometimes it's hard to image what the results will be even if just half of this nation's population are motivated to care about an activity, a chance, that can improve the general views from the other part of the world.

Beijng should be a very friendly city now. I am Chinese, and once studied in Beijing for 5 years. August is the hotest time in Beijing, but the air of this northern city is dry so you may not fell too bad like in southern China, and most of the games will play in house, some outdoor projects like boating will be hold in those cities near the sea, like Qingdao or Hongkong.

2008 is a critical year to China, too many things happen, from the blizzard at the beginning of the year to the earthquake in Wenchuang, and now flood in southern China, but this country have gain some positive results during 30 years of economic reform, and now she can deal with the disasters and at the same time hold the world class event. Her people are united and welcome friends from all over the world.
0 Replies