0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 06:36 pm
<smiles at car>
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 06:37 pm
jespah wrote:
Did he ever return? No, he never returned. And his fate is still unlearned.

I suspect that's a reference lost on all but those of us who are, so to speak, "of a certain age" Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 06:38 pm
The question is, do I still have the album?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 06:56 pm
timberlandko wrote:
jespah wrote:

I suspect that's a reference lost on all but those of us who are, so to speak, "of a certain age" Laughing

The song is by the Kingston Trio.

Let me tell you the story Of a man named Charlie On a tragic and fateful day He put ten cents in his pocket, Kissed his wife and family Went to ride on the MTA Charlie handed in his dime At the Kendall Square Station And he changed for Jamaica Plain When he got there the conductor told him, "One more nickel." Charlie could not get off that train. Chorus: Did he ever return, No he never returned And his fate is still unlearn'd He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston He's the man who never returned. Now all night long Charlie rides through the tunnels Saying, "What will become of me? How can I afford to see My sister in Chelsea Or my cousin in Roxbury?" Charlie's wife goes down To the Scollay Square station Every day at quarter past two And through the open window She hands Charlie a sandwich As the train comes rumblin' through. As his train rolled on underneath Greater Boston Charlie looked around and sighed: "Well, I'm sore and disgusted And I'm absolutely busted; I guess this is my last long ride." {this entire verse was replaced by a banjo solo by the K. Trio. I've never heard it in any recording} Now you citizens of Boston, Don't you think it's a scandal That the people have to pay and pay Vote for Walter A. O'Brien And fight the fare increase Get poor Charlie off the MTA. Chorus: Or else he'll never return, No he'll never return And his fate will be unlearned He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston He's the man (Who's the man) He's the man who never returned. He's the man (Oh, the man) He's the man who never returned. He's the man who never returned.

http://www.mit.edu/~jdreed/t/charlie.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 06:59 pm
Yeh, yeh, I saw them do the song, in '63 or early '64.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:08 pm
Yeah, but does it "cramp" your style when you ride one?
:::Rat-a-tat-tat:::

Charlie....charlie horse... get it?

oh alright.... :::sigh:::
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:19 pm
timberlandko wrote:
jespah wrote:

I knew a guy in CA when I was a kid who sang sea chanteys and various other whatnot, self-accompanied on a button accordion.

He reworked that one to make it BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:44 pm
Actually, the song isn't a Kingston Trio original; it dates to the late 1940s, and was part of a cost-cutting campaign strategy implemented by cash-strapped, perrenially unsuccessful, wingnut Boston candidate for any open office Walter O'Brien. Going back even further, its roots are to be found in traditional Folk chestnuts The Wreck of Old 97 and its direct, even older progenitor, The Ship That Never Returned

And yes, I have the album -

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4294/200pxkingstontrioatlargsm7.jpg
Capitol T/ST-1199
a '59 summer release which charted comfortably throughout the remainder of '59 well into the mid '60s. Several reissues also have sold well, including a couple of remastered CD versions (of which I'm aware, but do not own. Long Live Vinyl!)

BTW - saw 'em do it live when the original McCormick Place was brand spanking new - the Kingston trio was second-billed to headline act The 4 Seasons Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 07:51 pm
Dang! You fockers must be old!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:08 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Sorry, I luv the riffs on stupid topics. Sniff, another riff hit....

Dys' Porsche is a hell of a car. Being a neighbor and pal, he's offered to let me drive it. I'm considering it, hey, I used to drive Topanga Canyon in my Fiat Spyder (snigger) but don't know where it would be safe so that I wouldn't crash the dear thing - it's a primo car.

Ian got to drive that .

He still talks about it..

apparently , it is a sweet car?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:09 pm
timberlandko wrote:
jespah wrote:

I sang it in elementary school! (Late 70's).

The reggae version was cool... "He's the mon who never returned, mon."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:13 pm
Yeh, it's sweet. But that's for Dys to say about.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:18 pm
timber wrote:
BTW - saw 'em do it live when the original McCormick Place was brand spanking new - the Kingston trio was second-billed to headline act The 4 Seasons Laughing

Oh, and the show's MC was a very young, then-rising-star WLS disc jockey Clark Weber - recently arrived in the Big City from small-time radio in nearby rustic Waukesha, Wisconsin Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:27 pm
Count me among the sentimental seniors.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 08:40 pm
This is the album I bought at the concert.

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/b5/55/26e4024128a0705a9c0de010.L.jpg

Presently wracking brain re Who was my Date? Thinking maybe I went with girlfriends.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:42 pm
Mommy sang that to me when I was little; I thought it was terribly sad. I understood that it was supposed to be funny, but I just felt so bad for Charlie.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:48 pm
I remember the name of the girl I took to that 4 Seasons/KT concert - Carolanne (yes, with an "e") S___ , a young lady about a year younger than I, and with whom I never went on another date. A couple years or so later, Carolanne was one of the principals in an unwed pregancy flap. Evidently, she underwent a major attitude shift some time following our one and only date.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 10:49 pm
ossobuco wrote:
This is the album I bought at the concert.

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/b5/55/26e4024128a0705a9c0de010.L.jpg

Presently wracking brain re Who was my Date? Thinking maybe I went with girlfriends.
Those guys from the Kingston Trio always made me feel slightly uncomfortable...almost as creepy as the Limeliters, especially when they had that Yarbrough fellow.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 11:09 pm
Is this better sturgis?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/villagepeople.jpg
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 06:16:26