WARNING!: Graduation in progress

Booman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:20 pm
...There's a scene, I've only witnessed on TV, and in the movies, but it fascinates me because I know it really happens all the time.
...I'm speaking of graduation scences, when the grads, throw their caps in the air. Now at this point, there is usually a freeze-frame, and always the scene ends.
...Now what causes me concern is; what happens when the caps come down? Shocked It's scary enough with cadet caps, but those mortar boards, with the 4 sharp corners....Ohmigawd!
...I've never attended a graduation where they did this, so could someone tell me what happens when all those hard sharp objects come down?.... Do they cover their heads?...Do they try to catch them?... Are there injuries?... If someone gets an eye put out ,who do they sue?... help me out here gang.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,492 • Replies: 26
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:29 pm
Beats me. Our hats were rented, so there's no damn way we were just going to toss the damn things like that.

Didn't have no robes in college, anyhow. Everybody had a sunflower, though, some of which were thrown at the end.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:48 pm
That sounds safe.....Long as they weren't roses
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:11 pm
Um well i was banned from my college graduation, spent the day at work...but thats a long story.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 06:28 pm
The tossing of the caps wasn't allowed at either mine or my sister's high school graduation ~ sis went on to college and it wasn't allowed there either. The students were threatened with not receiving their diplomas if they tossed their caps.

Bah humbug.

Party-poopers. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:32 pm
Aw come on guys. Ab2k, cannot let me down. it's the rule. Somebody must know somebody who's beenin that type of ending. It's eating at me.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 02:16 pm
The kids tossed their caps in the air, yesterday, at my son's H.S. grad convocation. They're not heavy, cardboard inside, but the points are sharp, that's for sure. Some caught 'em, some ducked, but all emerged intact - with a cap.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 02:43 pm
We had some boozing after getting our certificates at school.

Got my degrees from university by post or/and at the decanate secretary.

However, this really seems to be a great danger - besides the possible environtamental harm!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 02:51 pm
At both my high school and college graduations, no mortar board throwing. c.i.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 04:02 pm
Congrats mckenzie's son!

I think we threw ours in HS despite (because of?) earnest pleas not to. No poked-out eyes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:35 pm
We didn't have mortarboards at my high school or university graduations. Probably some granola reason for it. Same thing for proms. We were 'above' them. Rolling Eyes

I had a recent experience with a mortar board. I'm a bit shocked Shocked to admit I took part in it. Miss Cleopatra had a mortarboard at her recent graduation from basic obedience. Far from throwing it, I put considerable effort into holding it on her head (she REFUSED the one with the chin strap - she is just like Bailey in these matters) so that photos could be taken. I know, I know. It's a horrible thing. Almost as bad (worse) than graduation gowns etc for kindergarten, but I was coerced.

(please believe the coerced bit. please)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:39 pm
Sounds really touch and go. They should do a movie that holds back on that freeze frame at the ending (Ouch..ooh ow..ouch... aiieee!!)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:44 pm
And if you will look to the left, you will see a pic of the erstwhile young-mortar-board-wearing lady . . . ain't she a cutie . . . an' i don't wanna hear no "only a mother could love" remarks . . .
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 05:47 pm
Hey, I'm convinced Ehbeth.........honest.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 06:15 pm
Speaking as the human guardian of the recent canine graduate, I must admit she has an aspect of the jolie laide about her. Miss Cleopatra is not a classically beautiful dog in the way of a highly groomed Afghan Hound, but she has the most divine sense of humour and her face lights up when she laughs and when she greets those she loves. She also has the most beautifully coloured coat - but then, I always had a thing for titian hair.

Thanks for that vote of confidence, booman. I owe you one :wink:
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:13 pm
At my daughters grad. last year there was no tossing of anything, rental gowns and hats. but much excitement afterwards tho involving beer, wine and cuddling
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:19 pm
Well OAK,....I suppose you could say, you tossed back a few. (Hee-heeee, I crack me up Laughing )
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:21 pm
Damn!...I shouldn't have eaten that second bowl of CORN flakes. Embarrassed
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:52 pm
try sugar puffs or all bran
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2003 02:59 pm
Wa-ita' minute there OAK,...Not so fast...All Bran? Are you sayin' I'm full of it? Twisted Evil :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » WARNING!: Graduation in progress
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/07/2024 at 10:32:46