Jonathan LaButlier, I'm intrigued!

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 10:42 pm
I found a message on my machine today:

"This call is for <Jonathan LaButlier*>

If you are not <Jonathan LaButlier> press one now.

If you are <Jonathan LaButlier> press two now.

If this message is being recorded and you have failed to press a number, you thereby do acknowledge that you are <Jonathan LaButlier>

That's when I hung up! I'm not Jonathan LaButlier for heaven's sake!

* Is a weird recorded voice different from the usual weird recorded voice.

Still, the message was so strange and official that I'm dying to know what it was about. I almost pretended that I was Jonathan LaButlier just to find out what it was all about but I was worried that the coppers would crash in and upset my sweet slumber tonight.

Or something.

What was this call about?

Who is Jonathan LaButlier?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 456 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 10:48 pm
Boomer, I received a similar message with a different name. In fact, it was my name. But if you're not there to pick up the phone, how can they possibly assume that not answering is assent? I found the whole thing unsettling and almost called the number that was given just to protest. Decided against it and forgot about the whole thing until just now.

Definitely a strange approach to message-leaving. I too wonder what it's about.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 10:52 pm
Oh no! How strange!

With a LOT of effort you might be able to consture Mr. B's name as Jonathan LaButlier but it is a far, far cry from his real name.

It is very unsettling.

Perhaps someone will know.....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 09:01 am
He's married to Peggy. http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66849

I mean, Pope!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:07 am
Jonathan and Peggy had better get their act together and contact this mysterious message service.

I was thinking about what you said, Roberta. How in the world could a company assume that a message left and listened to constitutes assent.

Now I'm wishing I had listened to the whole message.

It sounds like you did listen, Roberta - what did the rest of the message say?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:44 am
I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think that was it. Call the number left of the machine. No other information that I recall.

It made me uncomfortable.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 04:47 pm
About 10 years ago I kept getting calls asking if I was the Legal Aid Society. I'd receive a couple of calls a month. Come to find out the calls were meant for the L.A.S in Salisbury Maryland on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay. Instead of dialing 800 they were dialing 410 the rest of the number was the same as mine. One call came from Stevensville, Montana.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 06:02 pm
When you press 2 the phone company makes a charge against your a/c. the phone company then rebates a small amount to Mr la butlier because he has been able to generate revenue. out of every 100 people around 10% will press 2.

Its even possible that pressing 2 will engage an international line and be charged at that rate.

If you press 1 your toilet will explode.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 07:15 pm
Oh reallllly now.

That couldn't work from a message though. I guess it is just a really hit and miss operation anyway so they probably don't care.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:07 pm
boomerang wrote:
Oh reallllly now.

That couldn't work from a message though. I guess it is just a really hit and miss operation anyway so they probably don't care.

yes it could,... to hear a message you need to press 2, this engages a router which connect you to an exchange. Trom this point on You are paying for the call.
and you are right it is hit and miss but the scam artist doesnt care his computer just keeps on dialling numbers.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 10:13 pm
You should note the date and exact time of this call and check your itemised phone bill to ensure no spurious charges are included.

You should also check all toilets in the near vicinity for signs of explosions.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Jonathan LaButlier, I'm intrigued!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 12:27:10