Crayola Colors

Eva

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:51 am
On another thread, several of us reminisced about our favorite crayon colors when we were children.

There is a complete history of crayon colors (when introduced, when discontinued, etc.) on the Crayola site. Click here: http://www.crayola.com/colorcensus/history/chronology.cfm

Only three colors have changed names since Crayola began in 1903.

Prussian Blue was changed to "Midnight Blue" in 1958 in response to teachers' requests. Seems children were no longer familiar with Prussia.

Flesh was changed to "Peach" in 1962, partially as a result of the U.S. Civil Rights Movement.

Indian Red was renamed "Chestnut" in 1999 in response to educators who felt some children wrongly perceived the crayon color was intended to represent the skin color of Native Americans. The name originated from a reddish-brown pigment found near India commonly used in fine artist oil paint.

Through the years, twelve colors have been discontinued. They are: green blue, orange red, orange yellow, violet blue, maize, lemon yellow (oh no, not lemon yellow!), blue gray, raw umber, blizzard blue, magic mint, mulberry and teal blue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,913 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:54 am
I always hated Burnt Sienna.

Didin't have a favorite though.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:04 am
The Oprah Show did a segment on Crayola Crayons last year. Here's a bit from her website about it. I wonder what the "secret ingredient that gives it that wonderful smell" is. Any guesses?

Quote:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:21 am
Loved Silver and Goldenrod.

Hated Carnation Pink and Salmon.

I seem to remember a color called "Marigold," but I don't see it listed.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:24 am
I used to love maize.

That combined with the indian red and burnt sienna made pretty houses and flowers.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:27 am
I loved periwinkle, wasn't too fond of Salmon and Orchid
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:39 am
I've never heard of Cerulean!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 12:39 pm
Victor Murphy wrote:

All about cerulean, Victor...it's America's #2 favorite.

http://www.crayola.com/colorcensus/americas_favorites/display.cfm?color=66
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:23 pm
Eva wrote:
Victor Murphy wrote:

All about cerulean, Victor...it's America's #2 favorite.

http://www.crayola.com/colorcensus/americas_favorites/display.cfm?color=66

Thanks!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:27 pm
I liked the black crayons alot.

you could draw black and white pictures with them, if the paper was white.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:35 pm
Does anyone know why it lasted until 1949 that you could get more than eight colours?
(In 1850, two brands - Staedler and Faber-Castel - were producing in Nuremberg 48+ colours in two differently shaped crayons.)
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 04:58 pm
I got in big-big trouble when I was 6 because I drew on the wall with one of those huge thick black crayons. Do you remember the big fat ones that were flat on one side?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 07:14 pm
martybarker wrote:
Do you remember the big fat ones that were flat on one side?

Oh yeah -- those were great 'cause they couldn't roll away (even if left in the back window of the car...)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 09:27 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
martybarker wrote:
Do you remember the big fat ones that were flat on one side?

Oh yeah -- those were great 'cause they couldn't roll away (even if left in the back window of the car...)

Similar thing used to happen to the old wax crayons after they were left on top of a tube radio or a television set (or set out in the hot summer sun for a while).

I don't know when I first discovered Crayola crayons; however, I do know it was love. These were the real crayons which I had long coveted. And then I saw it...MAGENTA! the color I was to drool over for years. There is something very pleasing to me about that color. Of course I like most shades of red and their various blendings into things such as magenta so I suppose it was fated. Even the name of that color sends a spark of giddy happiness into me several decades later.

Mind you, it wasn't all for naught...some years later I was working a job in the printing industry and the boss comes through holding up a sheet of paper. He promises a day off for anyone who can identify the color...needless to say, I did. The paper was magenta.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:50 pm
Ah, if you worked in printing, then you were literally surrounded by Magenta! (Along with her sisters Cyan, Yellow and Black...also known as "K.")
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:58 pm
I like particular colors depending on their context. Almost any color serves its aesthetic purpose in SOME combination of colors.
Chai Tea, you can get a great black in a number of ways. The one I like most is a mixture of burnt sienna with prussian blue (I'm thinking of acylics; don't know about crayolas).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Crayola Colors
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:14:52