Countdown to the Winter Solstice

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:02 am
Hey, now that's a good birthday present!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 09:09 am
sozobe wrote:
Hey, now that's a good birthday present!

No kidding!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 02:25 pm
Satt--

Thanks for bumping up this thread and adding some wholesome enthusiasm.

I have a new candle for a New Year, nestled in bits of spruce and pine and holly from our town tress and surrounded with a selection of meaningful odds and ends.

This year the odds and ends are heavy on purple heather--not my favorite color, but an omen of Highland skies and cleansing winds.

Littlek--

Happy Birthday. You should start celebrating now because Christmas Babies always get a little short-changed over the years.

Soz, JPB & All--

Longer days and shorter nights
More light, less dread
And always a star or a candle to light the way.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 04:11 pm
I've just got back from Stonehenge, where I've been druiding the solstice all afternoon without much success.
The ceremony requires the participation of a virgin, but after a frantic local search, none were to be found.
Long distance phone calls finally located one in Berwick upon Tweed, but with the country being fogbound at the moment, and Heathrow closed, she couldn't be flown down in time.

Maybe you people in the USA could send over a few of your unmarried 5% (female) ready for next year, as it would save a packet on phone bills.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 05:49 pm
Lord E--

Plan ahead.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 05:59 pm
does anyone want an equation to compute sunrise and sunset for your very own lat/long?

(tap tap)

In another 22 minutes or so we get naked and dance around playing the psaltry and sackbutt. We drink goats blood and slaughter a peacock. Really good times.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 06:07 pm
<grin> A little 7 year old I used to know asked me in the grocery store today what I was doing for the solstice. She asked it as if it was a challenge - as if to say, the solstice waas the only true holiday right now. Very funny. I told her I'd light a candle at 7:22 (I didn't tell her that I'd also toast the dark days of winter).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 06:18 pm
just checked the temperature "history" on the weather channel .
last year we had a low of about minus 20 C , today our overnight low will be around freezing .
have to go back to 2002 to find a similarly mild pre-christmas .
should we get ready to dance around the maypole soon ?
hbg
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 06:41 pm
The Solstice Sun observed here (09:22JST; 0022GMT).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/329573397_877cb93fbb.jpg

8ºC or 46.4ºF
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 07:05 pm
I brought greenery into the house and I lit a candle.

I understand on the best authority that the sun is now ambling slowly north.

Thank all of your who helped to bring about this miracle.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 02:59:53