Are you better or worse off

Gala

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 05:12 pm
then this time last year?

It doesn't have to be finances either-- mental state, life events that sort of thing.

I am happy to report I am better off. Last year was my first winter in this city so this year I'm better adjusted. I've managed to save a little (I mean a little) cash, which is comforting. I've been applying for other jobs (please, oh please, please, please let me get a good one) and am feeling optimistic.

Plus, I volunteered during Thanksgiving and doing so made me feel useful. I fight feeling irrelevant and this helped.

So how about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 663 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 05:25 pm
Well, this time last year I was still working - now retired, or, as I like to say, semi-retired, as I'm looking for part time employment.

Financially? Doing okay. Paid our mortgage off last year, too. We're not rolling in dough, and we can't do whatever we want, but reasonably comfortable.

Mentally, it's been a year off without working (full time in a crappy job) outside of the home, which I've loved. More relaxed.

I do worry about other family, but I guess that's standard.

No lottery wins yet.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 05:29 pm
I don't really know that I can compare this year to last year. Every day is what it is and some are better and some are not so good; overall though, I would have to say everything is on just about an even level with last year at this time. Bottom line is I do not want or have need to get into comparing my life circumstances from one year to another. To do so would only cause me a headache as I saw things I had neglected or things on which too much time had been spent.

The health has had a few turns...and then a few more...and another one...and another.... I started off in questionable health (though I did not realize it back then) and ended up with more procedures, proddings and other things than I would have thought possible. But what of it? I'm still alive so it can't be that bad. So what of it that I parted with enough blood to feed a team of hungry vampires for a year? I still have enough blood left in the veins to keep myself going.

Yup. It's been a good year so far, as in reality are all years that I survive.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 04:40 pm
Reyn wrote:
Well, this time last year I was still working - now retired, or, as I like to say, semi-retired, as I'm looking for part time employment.

Financially? Doing okay. Paid our mortgage off last year, too. We're not rolling in dough, and we can't do whatever we want, but reasonably comfortable.

Mentally, it's been a year off without working (full time in a crappy job) outside of the home, which I've loved. More relaxed.

I do worry about other family, but I guess that's standard.

No lottery wins yet.

Retired, that sounds kind of great though.

Is it specialized part-time work you're looking for or just something that helps pay a few bills? Because there are plenty of decent (not great)paying pt jobs where the employer will kiss your feet everytime you come to work because of your a) maturity b) maturity c) your maturity and your willingness to work. The beauty of pt work is you don't get mired in the day-to-day politics.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 04:42 pm
Sturgis wrote:
I don't really know that I can compare this year to last year. Every day is what it is and some are better and some are not so good; overall though, I would have to say everything is on just about an even level with last year at this time. Bottom line is I do not want or have need to get into comparing my life circumstances from one year to another. To do so would only cause me a headache as I saw things I had neglected or things on which too much time had been spent.

The health has had a few turns...and then a few more...and another one...and another.... I started off in questionable health (though I did not realize it back then) and ended up with more procedures, proddings and other things than I would have thought possible. But what of it? I'm still alive so it can't be that bad. So what of it that I parted with enough blood to feed a team of hungry vampires for a year? I still have enough blood left in the veins to keep myself going.

Yup. It's been a good year so far, as in reality are all years that I survive.

Yeah, I hear you. It matters to be grateful in the moment. I'm glad to hear you're doing better.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 05:08 pm
Gala wrote:
Retired, that sounds kind of great though.

Is it specialized part-time work you're looking for or just something that helps pay a few bills? Because there are plenty of decent (not great)paying pt jobs where the employer will kiss your feet everytime you come to work because of your a) maturity b) maturity c) your maturity and your willingness to work. The beauty of pt work is you don't get mired in the day-to-day politics.

Yup, retired is a whole new routine, for sure.

I am definitely looking for something indoors. I've had enough of working in all weather all year round with my last job.

I'm not so much looking to play bills, but as a hedge against inflation and possibly unexpected bills coming up that may tax the bank account.

I can at least pick and chose what job I want, but there aren't many employers that can use an ex-meter reader. I suspect I'll do something part time in a restaurant. I'm not that fussy, even if it's dishwashing.

I had applied at to work at Wal-Mart here for Christmas, but I expect they were able to pick and chose who they wanted, and did not get a job.

Oh well....
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 06:39 pm
Reyn, what about Craigslist?

Here's another idea-- sometimes if you volunteer at your favorite organization and do a good job they will hire you. You're in Vancouver, right? They have a magnificent public library, I'm sure they're looking for shelvers of books. And that would pay. Jobs like that have a high turnover.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 10:43 pm
No, about a couple of hours east of Vancouver.

I really want something close to home - minutes. So, that narrows my choices.

It doesn't really matter. All I'm looking to clear is about $300 per month. Our minimum wage here is $8.00 per hour. Based on that, my figure is realistic.

I have a list of places I'm working on, but thanks for the suggestions.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:51 pm
After Thatcher the number one american ********** that ever lived ,I lost my job, my home and everthing else that mattered to me.

Do I feel cheated? possibly.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:00 am
I am way better off than this time last year and I feel blessed and thankful.

Inidcators are that 2007 will be even better.... but one thing I've learned is that it's a fast hard drop from the top to the bottom and there's often no warning so my main focus will be being grateful for what I have today rven as I work hard on making more forward progress. I hope to restore my business and finances to their former glory but if not I will be happy to be comfortable and have my health and my family. Corny I realize but true none the less.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 05:50 pm
Reyn, what about a job that entails driving? A lot of retirees will work for car dealerships as people who deliver cars back and forth. Easy, low-stress part time job.

I think I'm better off. Even though I'll make close to 30% less than I did last year, I'm still not doing bad, and have more disposable $$ right now. Like my new job more, and the people I work with too. Next year could put me very close to '05 which was a peak year, income-wise.

About to close on property #2 since last year, and in a relationship with a seriously hot piece of ass...er, I mean, with a great girl, while last year at this point just dating someone I wasn't into.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 07:28 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Reyn, what about a job that entails driving?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not too sure about that. I had a pretty bad car accident just about 3 years ago (which wasn't my fault), and I try to limit my driving.

I used to drive every day with my last job, and quite honestly, with all the idiots on the road, I don't really enjoy it.

The thought is appreciated though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 07:36 pm
I hear you can make 15000 a month licking envelopes.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 07:36 pm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 07:37 pm
So my idea is just lick enough to earn enough to get by and dump the rest in the river
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 04:37 pm
kev wrote:
After Thatcher the number one american ********** that ever lived ,I lost my job, my home and everthing else that mattered to me.

Do I feel cheated? possibly.

Say what? M. Thatcher hasn't served for years. I know I'm not getting the joke, but surely things have improved since your list of unfortunate events?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 04:41 pm
Reyn wrote:
No, about a couple of hours east of Vancouver.

I really want something close to home - minutes. So, that narrows my choices.

It doesn't really matter. All I'm looking to clear is about $300 per month. Our minimum wage here is $8.00 per hour. Based on that, my figure is realistic.

I have a list of places I'm working on, but thanks for the suggestions.

I hear you about wanting to work minutes from home-- especially for an $8 an hour job. In this case even walking to said job would be ideal. Nothing like a brisk walk to clear your head.

Good luck, ay?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 04:43 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I am way better off than this time last year and I feel blessed and thankful.

Corny I realize but true none the less.

There's nothing corny about feeling grateful, thankful, or wanting health for yourself and the ones you love. More power to you and best of luck in the coming year.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 04:49 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I think I'm better off. Even though I'll make close to 30% less than I did last year, I'm still not doing bad, and have more disposable $$ right now. Like my new job more, and the people I work with too. Next year could put me very close to '05 which was a peak year, income-wise.

About to close on property #2 since last year, and in a relationship with a seriously hot piece of ass...er, I mean, with a great girl, while last year at this point just dating someone I wasn't into.

Oh man, it sounds like you are way better off. Good luck with all of it-- just liking the job and the people more is an incredible feat, especially when you consider all the BS a lot of people have to put up with the to earn a paycheck. Good luck with the babe as well.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 04:54 pm
farmerman wrote:

You sneer, young man. But I have read those help wanted ads and have investigated them. Nonetheless, I was prepared to use a sponge, a timer and set daily goals to make the $1500 a month. A total scam, but I was day-dreaming for a while...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are you better or worse off
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 02:34:01