Dark Days of December

Noddy24

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 01:32 pm
The days are shorter. The nights are longer. I'm S.A.D. and gloom is accumulating. I'm growing irritable and spending a great deal of time being bootless wistful with all the charm of a frost-blighted blossom.

On December 21, 2006 at 7:22 EST the sun will be directly over the equator.

By December 21, 2006 at 7:22:01 the sun will begin travelling north.

By December 31 I may be revived enough to celebrate the passing of the conventional year.

Does anyone else yearn for longer days and growing sunlight? How are you coping in dark dominions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 569 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 01:47 pm
Well...chocolate plays a prominent role in my therapy. If it is at all sunny I try to get outside and go for a walk. I read -- probably more than is good for me. Practising t'ai chi helps calm me down and lessens irritability. (I think any kind of meditation would be good. T'ai chi postures help keep joints flexible but it's the breathing that helps that "If I don't get out of the house soon I'll explode!" feeling.) It's horrible to feel cooped up by the weather, isn't it? I know I'm approaching the end of my rope when a good book fails to hold my interest. At that point even spring cleaning usually looks like a great idea -- it's mindless but occupies the restless spirit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 01:52 pm
The hot seasons are so long and crushing I spend the length of them beseaching the shorter days of winter: Hurry; don't be late like you were last year. I glory in cool, and even cold, days and the lesser sun.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 02:18 pm
It's only now, in my mid-30's that I have finally learned to somewhat cope with the winter blues. It might have something to with the fact that my daughter (almost 18-months) forces me to be more active than I would be otherwise. Still, I often feel a little weighed down by the cold & gloom, especially on the weekends when the days are a little less structured. That's when I end up in the kitchen, trying a new recipe to tempt my (picky) baby's appetite, or clearing/cleaning up around the house while she sleeps. (Or surfing/A2K'ing - like right now.) I could be curled up on the sofa reading right now - but know that when I close my book 45-60 minutes later...my heels will be dragging and I'll be a little wintered out.

SO. Here I am, talking online a little, my cup of tea sitting on the desk next to the mouse pad. Soon I'll sign off, clear up M's toys in her playpen, neaten up the living room. Then I'll be in the kitchen, opening up a couple cans of soup, bought just today from our bi-weekly Costco jaunt, thinking of how to make it a little more hearty and a little more spicy. I've found that, in the past few weeks, an excellent way for me to combat the cheerlessness of winter.
0 Replies

tomasso

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 02:35 pm
I agree with Tai Chi and Heatwave in that being active is key.

I lived in St. Petersburg for 3 years, and the daylight period (which was often gray, overcast) during winter occurred from about 10.30am until
3.30pm.

No matter how bad the weather was, I had to get to work by walking and the metro work and on weekends, I made it a point to bundle up, get outside and walk around and visit some museum.

Afterwards, I was so happy to return home to a hot tea with a little vodka!

Getting together with friends also helps a lot!!!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 02:40 pm
I grew up in New England and I suffered through many dark winters. Now I live in Southern California where it is warm and beautiful every day. I just returned from a trip to Chicago where the temp did not exceed 17F the whole trip. If I never see that kind of winter again it will be too soon!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 03:02 pm
I love the winter, as I do not work this time of year. I light the fire, get out my baskets of books, sewing, and art supplies and throw on a warm shawl. I love the rich ambers of the afternoon light and early bedtimes. I cook long simmering soups and bake bread. I go for snowy walks with the dogs and return to hot tea and a muffin. I hibernate in my nest and refuse to answer the phone. Bring it on!
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 03:32 pm
That's it! I think we should all go to Green Witch's for the rest of the winter. Cool

But, like Noddy, I get down over these short days. And like T'ai Chi, I try to get out into any available sunlight to combat it. And I count the days to the solstice.

As well, I try to remember that this is the payoff for those long, long summer evenings. It came as quite a shock when I learned that those who live in tropical paradises have evenly spaced day/night cycles all the time. Those gorgeous Pacific atoll sunsets take about 5 minutes! Until then, I thought I could easily trade my northern life for a tropical one. But to never again have an hour-long sunset, after dinner is done and the barbecue put away .... well, I think I'll just have to pay the price and put up with these short dark days.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 05:22 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I love the winter, as I do not work this time of year. I light the fire, get out my baskets of books, sewing, and art supplies and throw on a warm shawl. I love the rich ambers of the afternoon light and early bedtimes. I cook long simmering soups and bake bread. I go for snowy walks with the dogs and return to hot tea and a muffin. I hibernate in my nest and refuse to answer the phone. Bring it on!

You can still do all that in Souther Cal except the walks would be sandy and you'd be wearing shorts. You might want to rethink the shawl in favor of a tank top.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 05:27 pm
Nick, I'm a garden desinger by trade, so living in So. C. would mean I could be working all year round. Keep your 365 days of sun and beaches, I like my four seasons.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 08:47 am
I start to nest which tends to mean cooking. Last night, I tried my hand at making focaccia. It was good! Using the oven also helped warm things up.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 11:14 am
Yes, this winter is kicking my butt. And it hasn't even been that bad for here: lots of warm days, next day it is freezing cold.

If you want to complain about the weather, come on over to Winnipeg. There's always a place for you here if you do.

I think it is the combination for me of working nights plus evenings and also feeling more than usually in favour of Big Changes that is making me not enjoy this winter so much.
All I usually see of the sun and activity is the brief break of day, and the hours I pry my tired eyes open to get sun and see people. Otherwise, I'd be down for the count! It's a trade: I'm tired, but if I don't get some awake sun time: I'll be wanting to retire from life.

I never realized until this year how damn cold it gets here. I commented "Wow. Manitoba is FLAT. "
It is. Though I love going out snowmobiling and skiing and for coffee jaunts and all that....

I am truly tired of looking at prairie. It's time to head somewhere without haybales. Smile
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 03:09 pm
Re: Dark Days of December
Noddy24 wrote:
The days are shorter. The nights are longer. I'm S.A.D. and gloom is accumulating. I'm growing irritable and spending a great deal of time being bootless wistful with all the charm of a frost-blighted blossom.

Does anyone else yearn for longer days and growing sunlight? How are you coping in dark dominions.
I don't suffer from S.A.D., so winter as such is not a problem for me. The one thing I do miss however is the intense beauty of the sunrise which does not occur in the colder months. The angle of the sun just screws it up and the morning sun piercing through the clouds doesn't quite give me the same thrill. On a brighter note, December is about a third done with so, April (and warmer, longer days) is fast approaching. April has the most exquisite sunrises.

To borrow an expression...Hold your dominion!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dark Days of December
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 05:45:57