JUDAS--BAD GUY, OR VILLIAN--YOU DECIDE!

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 04:51 pm
Last year, a document found in Egypt in 1970 was revealed by the National Geographic Society to be a "gospel of Judas." Now, a scholar in Nova Scotia is challenging the conclusions drawn by other scholars.

CBC's story on the interpretation of the "Judas gospel."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 420 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 05:23 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 05:19 pm
Interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 05:22 pm
Rolling eyes, by way of bookmark.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 05:46 pm
If we are to believe Judas betrayed Jesus, which lead to his crucifixion, then Judas was a key to the master plan and therefore could not be evil; without his action, the world could not have been saved. To me, he becomes a dupe and fall guy after doing the inevitable. Of course, I am an unlettered atheist and could be totally wrong . . .
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 07:10 pm
How does Judas' gospel end?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 07:42 pm
edgarblythe is right on target. Judas is the lynchpin in the whole crucifixtion conspiracy. Without Judas (or someone like Judas, i.e. a faithful disciple who would carry out Jesus' orders to the letter), the Messaianic prophecy could not be fulfilled. Whether Jesus picked Judas for that crucial task because Judas was (a)venal and could be manipulated to accept 30 pieces of silver; or (b)a good and faithful servant, more understanding of the task than his cohorts; or (c) because he was dumb and could be duped is completely irrelevant. The point is that he performed the task for which he was chosen admirably. You don't need the Gospel of Judas to tell you that. A careful reading of the gospels in the accepted Canon will give you the same information. Judas should be canonized a saint, not villified, if you go along with the rest of the claptrap.

I've always found it interesting that the Roman church was founded with Simon, called The Rock (peter), as its cornerstone. Wasn't he the dude who denied any knowledge of Jesus three times on the night of the arrest? A wimp, a cowardly wimp. Judas, on the other hand, stood right up and did what he was supposed to do. (I've always thought that Jesus giving Simon that nickname of 'Peter' was a fine example of Jesus' sense of humor. The man was anything but a rock.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:53 am
Interesting point of view about Peter, Boss. Keep in mind, though, that Peter only becomes "the Rock," Petros, as a result of the Greek word for rock--not the Latin. I rather suspect that that passage was another example of the Pauline injection of Greek culture into what was before his arrival, essentially, a small and unimportant Jewish cult.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:11 pm
parados wrote:

Dunno.

My guess is he probably died, though.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:34 pm
dlowan wrote:
parados wrote:

Dunno.

Actually, no. It ends with his accepting money from the priests.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:42 pm
Although this Coptic document was first found in Egypt in 1970, The National Geographic Society first broke the story--which you can read about here.

This page has an excellent account of the manuscripts and how they got into the hands of the National Geographic Society.

This Wikipedia article on the Judas Gospel acknowledges in the header that it may not be well-written.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:00 pm
George wrote:
dlowan wrote:
parados wrote:

Dunno.

Actually, no. It ends with his accepting money from the priests.

You're not big on irony today, are you George?

Ball not hanging right?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 04:24 pm
Hanging rather well.
As was the subject of the discussion according to other accounts.
Thanks for asking.

And how are you today?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 05:12 pm
George wrote:
Hanging rather well.
As was the subject of the discussion according to other accounts.
Thanks for asking.

And how are you today?

Lol!

Yes, the scuttlebutt is that poor old Judas hanged himself.

I'm allright, in a weary, beaten sort of way.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:40 pm
Don't cry for Judas.
He got the best song.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 08:41 pm
Sorry to hear the weary, beaten part...
Are you getting that super-hot weather?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » JUDAS--BAD GUY, OR VILLIAN--YOU DECIDE!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 01:29:59