Explaining Yourself

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 05:59 pm
I'm in charge of fundraising for this committee. It is made up of total raving idiots. I didn't think that, before, but I've had an incredibly frustrating several days of interactions with them.

Basically, I'm trying to raise $50,000 for an event that will be taking place next year (end of May, 2004.) The contract with the hotel was just signed 2 weeks ago. There is no website. There is no stationery. The application for 501 (c) 3 status is almost but not yet complete. (I asked for it when we started meeting, more than a year ago.) Once it's complete, it's anyone guess as to when it will be approved.

I have arranged to have a silent auction fundraiser event on New Year's Eve 2003. I've gotten several donations for that already. I also have started an ongoing fundraiser at Pizza Hut, that anyone can do.

Yet, I'm getting nothing but sh!t from these idiots. WHERE'S THE MONEY??? WE DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY YET! (All of this plus the fact that the president went ahead and talked to a leading candidate for title sponsor, the highest level donor, and suggested that they donate about 25% of what I had planned to ask them for.)

When I was the director of my agency, I found out the hard way that explanations only go so far. I went out of my way to include my staff in the process, to solicit and value their input, give them autonomy where appropriate, etc. But I figured out that it became an enormous drain if I explained my every decision. I'd spend literally hours and then at the end they'd say, "Oh, OK. I see." It's not like there was actually something that I hadn't thought of that they brought to my attention.

So that was my first instinct, but then I thought, "Yes, but I was the director there, and these are my peers. It's more respectful to explain."

Harrumph.

That just opened a giant can of worms. I have spent vast chunks of the last 5 days explaining myself in ever greater detail, and fielding oodles of unsolicited suggestions. (A bake sale. Check.) The one person I have really been going at it with is now starting to get it. Finally. After, like, 25 emails and a LOT of time.

The thing is, they don't NEED to know. The president, who coordinates everything, needs to know. The children's programming chair DOESN'T.

I don't know if this is a rant or a question. I guess more the former.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,454 • Replies: 40
No top replies

husker

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I'm listening!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:06 pm
soz,

I wasn't much help with your last question about this. But just an FYI, I'd give y'all free hosting if you do ever want the website.

I could design it too, or set you up with templates if you need to make frequent additions.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:07 pm
Great idea CDK
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:11 pm
Craven, I may well take you up on that. Except for the fact that I know you already have WAY too much on your plate, and I'd feel guilty. But the people we have working on this now are foot-dragging idiots.

Ahem.

If you really have the time and inclination, that could be fabulous. Thanks so much for the offer, in any case.

I'm actually feeling pretty good about how things are going -- have found lots of good stuff with Chicago sports teams, for example. The Bears have a very generous charitable arm. Have contacted all those folks -- Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, Fire, WhiteSox, Cubs -- and expect to get at least good stuff for the silent auction if not some of their bigger grants. Lil' deaf kids are good grant bait. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:11 pm
I feel your pain.

It is a very difficult dilemma, I think - especially with community organisations which, frankly, after a couple of horrendous experiences, scare the pants off me.

Unfortunately, with large committees, I have not yet heard of one which solved the problem - I mean, as you know, one or two people usually end up doing the work - but everyone will reserve the right to complain and cavil.

This is gonna sound awful - but could you treat some of the communications and consultations as one does choices for little kids - ie offer a couple of pre-determined as workable choices, rather than open slather?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:12 pm
But I am sure you do that already....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:14 pm
Thanks Husker! Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:22 pm
soz,

I can do a simple template or you and teach you how to update and upload it. It would take me a few minutes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:33 pm
Exactly why squinney and I sold the events planning division of our business. Not only are people idiots, they're ungrateful idiots at the end of the day.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 07:24 pm
Het soz. dont forget your registration with the Charitable Institutions Act ( Im waay over my head but as a board member of an environmental action group we got intrubble 2 years ago with a money laun... er raising event.)

You wanna do 50K with a bake sale???? Jeea we must be talkin some really good muffins here. lesseee, at 2 bucks a muffin thats uhhh 25000 of em. or about 2 tons of flour

why dont you start a routine e-mail update (unsolicited of course) that lays out your expectations and milestones , as well as target donations . I would not hesitate to point out to the arshole who underrequested from a target donor that itsoften a point of honor to look at donations as a real percent of the donors worth You dont ask a Dupont compaqny for a 50 dollar donation. Thats chump change, they often cant write a check that small.
well , good luck girl
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 07:59 pm
That's right, farmerman - Soz, it's volunteer work that you';re doing, right? What would they do, fire you? Tell someone or everyone about that 25% job. Ijits.

Keep in mind that you're doing a good thing, you're helping and you can only give what they'll take.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 08:59 pm
Soz, just how much time would it take and/or save for you to do some sort of summary you could mail out to everyone? Do you think that might be helpful for everyone involved? Keeping communication open and letting everyone know whats going on is good....or perhaps theres someone who could put together a summary of key points from everyones plate so that you could all see where you are, where youre going, etc.

Good luck gal..sounds like you're pullin your hair out here and there on this one...dont go bald!! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 09:18 pm
Sympathy flying. I haven't done fund raising but I was facilitator for community meetings in a famously ructious community and have shied away from my previously admiring community participation ideal since then. Actually it wasn't the community that was the entire problem, mostly the community worked hard to come together, it was the loco planning agency, who kept changing personnel, with no institutional memory in place. Even for pay I wouldn't do that again. I think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 09:52 pm
Thanks thanks thanks thanks everyone!

Missed ya there dlowan before -- thanks to you as well.

Farmerman, yeah, I had the same "uh you better have a KILLER recipe" reaction when I got the "bake sale" recommendation. The gal was really pushing it. "I have this GREAT idea -- ILY ["I love you" asl handshape] cookies!!" This is fine, but it is indeed chump change. The way I explained it to her is that I have a very limited amount of time available to work on this stuff. I'm looking to get the maximum $$ return on every hour I spend. I'm filling out an application for a Target grant now -- will take me about 5 hours start to finish (locating, filling out, sending, etc.), and stand to get $1,000 to $5,000. A bake sale would take 10 to 20 hours to coordinate and run, and would make $500 if we're lucky. So a $200-$1,000/hr return vs. a $25-$50/ hr return.

I'm trying to do the high-end stuff. $1,000 - $25,000 individual/ corporate donations.

Unfortunately, Ms. 25% is the president. Rolling Eyes Have to go with that one. I have asked to have a meeting with her to go over things and be more coordinated. She has been doing a lot of scattershot stuff that may work or may make my job (and by extension hers) much harder.

quinn, the summary is what got this mess started. I did one, as brief slash thorough as I could, and that just seemed to open the floodgates. And Farmerman, I have a pretty detailed plan of action that I sent to everyone, but that doesn't mean anyone READ it.

*stew stew simmer simmer*

I'm liking dlowan's either/ or tack right now.

Farmerman, tell me more about the Charitable Institutions Act thing. We have a lawyer on the board who brings up stuff like that, usually, and he hasn't said anything yet...?

Craven, if it's really just a few minutes of your time, I'd LOVE that. They have a domain name set up already and everything so that could be a little complicated, but I would love to be able to have some workable version ready, point them to it, and say "see, this is what we could do. It's really not hard." I've worked with the tech guy we're using before and he's smart 'n' all but endlessly puts things off. That's especially a problem for keeping things current, if he's the only one who can do it.

BPB and dlowan (sorry I'm all over the place, writing fast), yeah, I'm getting scareder and scareder of committees. I thought it would be a good way to keep a foot in my profession while I'm a SAHM, but they are just so incredibly frustrating. I've quit 6 already, 5 at one swell foop, and would like to hold on to this one. I DO like a challenge, and I DO like proving doubters not just a little bit but very very very wrong. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 09:53 pm
"no institutional memory", yah, been there done that. would have the t-shirt except for the fact that I ripped it into tiny shreds and set fire to each piece.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 10:29 pm
sozobe, One great management tool I learned while I was amongst the employed was a tool called "Ghant Charting." It assigns responsibility for each task on a time line, and all that extraneous stuff disappears - or almost. c.i.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:03 am
Oh man, I feel your pain. Can't say any more.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:42 am
I'll second what Jespah said.

I know nothing about this kind of thing, but I'll be here rooting for you Sozobe. Sounds like you are very determined and I'm quite sure you'll reach your goal.

You go girl!!!!! ;-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:58 am
"Swell foop"! Love it!

Good luck!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Explaining Yourself
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:40:56