Books and movies on Asian Culture

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 02:18 pm
I'm writing a comic book in whichh some of the stories take place in China, and in the Chinese community.
What movies accurately portary Chinese reality-Chinese youth culture and Subculture, and modern day Chinese society?
Are there any movies on Chinese street gangs?
What Chinese writers and poets should I look at to get ideas? Which ones compare to Chaucer and to other pre-20th century writers?
What's the Chinese version of Trainspotting and the Warriors?

Likewise, what movies, books on Japanese and KOrean culture would you suggest? What Japanese and KOrean writers and poets should I look at?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,687 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 08:49 pm
Re: Books and movies on Asian Culture
You've been asking a lot of questions that probably have answers that can be found using a search engine. Rather than me continuing to do the work for you, I'll suggest phrases for you to use in a search engine so you can do the leg work yourself. After that, if you still need help with it, I'll work with you to narrow the focus of the search phrase.

JGoldman10 wrote:
I'm writing a comic book in whichh some of the stories take place in China, and in the Chinese community.
What movies accurately portary Chinese reality-Chinese youth culture and Subculture, and modern day Chinese society?

Do a Google search using this phrase: Documentary portraying Chinese youth culture in modern day Chinese society.

Are there any movies on Chinese street gangs?

Do a Google search using this phrase: Documentary on Chinese street gangs.

What Chinese writers and poets should I look at to get ideas?

Ideas for a comic book? Why not look at some of the many Asian anime films for ideas? There are thousands of years of writers and poets. Are you wanting modern writers that write of modern society or bygone eras? Are you wanting historical writers and poets? What genre?

When you know, do a google search using a phrase such as this example: list of modern Chinese writers and poets in the (blank) genre

Which ones compare to Chaucer and to other pre-20th century writers?

Don't know. You'll get an idea about this once you've taken a look at websites about the writers.

What's the Chinese version of Trainspotting and the Warriors?

Do a Google search using the phrase: Chinese version of Trainspotting and the Warriors

Likewise, what movies, books on Japanese and KOrean culture would you suggest? What Japanese and KOrean writers and poets should I look at?

Use the same search phrases above except insert the other nationality where "Chinese" is used.

0 Replies

debussy12

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 10:58 am
my personal favorite Chinese movie director is Wong Kar-Wai. You should see his movies they whould give you some idea.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 09:19 am
debussy12 wrote:
my personal favorite Chinese movie director is Wong Kar-Wai. You should see his movies they whould give you some idea.

I don't suggest him. His movie is rooted deeply in Hongkong culture, not necessarily "Chinese".

I would suggest Feng Xiaogang, extremely popular mainland director, who happens to focus on China of this present age ( Unlike Zhang Yimou, whose feat lies mostly in the past, imaginary or not)

Also, an excellent director of the new generation, who strives to represent the difficulties and problems of modern China to the greatest extent.

There are no real gangster movies which present the real face of Chinese gangsters, for reasons you might understand.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:31 am
My suggestion is to pick locales of which you have knowledge. It is not possible to gain that knowledge second hand.
0 Replies