Summer SOLSTICE, Sat Jun 21 -- Any plans?

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:51 pm
In 2003, summer begins June 21, 3:10 P.M. EDT (19:10 UT)
The longest day of the year, the shortest night.
(info here)

Here in the Sierra Mountains (CA and NV), its:
huge bonfire, fire jugglers, fire dancers, flame throwers
neon and laser shows
drum circle til dawn, travelling with rhythm
belly dancers and songs
good food

(All ages, no drugs/alc, a community thing
in some private gardens on the river)

Do you have any plans? A toast or a song?
New clothes or hair? Cleaning house?
A moment pondering the changing of the sun?

What does it all mean -- C'mon, stories, poems!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 887 • Replies: 8
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 08:56 pm
aaaaah, no, not this year. The only plans I have are to find a little gift for a 3 year old's bday and to hang with my animals. I feel so in tune with the seasons that I don't feel the need to realy mark the solstice in a major way. Though, I've been to some fun festivities in the past.

I suppose, if anything, I'll ponder the turning of the sun-earth tango. I feel a bit anxious this year about the passing of summer. We had a loooong winter and a really cold rainy spring. I think maybe we've had 2 summer-like days this summer and I fee like the summer is slipping away too fast. Like I'm running out of warm sunny, flower-filled days - already! It must be the long winter that's got me like this.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:03 pm
Today was my husband's 50th birthday. Many surprises were planned, and all worked perfectly! It makes it easy to remember his birthday...it's always the last day of spring. (We met on the first day of spring.)
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 02:04 am
Just bumming around until I have to go to work and get paid for bumming around.
It's always Summer out here. Gets really boring.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 08:19 am
If I was back home in Sweden, I would be hungover with a royal five-star hangover!!! Drunk Because that's what you do in sweden on Midsommars Afton, aka Midsummer Night, drink till you loose control over your mother tongue. It's always been like that, but DON'T ask me why, ask somebody who still lives there, please!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 08:49 am
Despite an early morning admonition that "Ritual is the husk of faith and loyalty, the beginning of confusion," I'll have a small bonfire and burn up the last of our Christmas tree along with some oak leaves in honor of the Green Man. We'll stay up late and drink red wine, then go down to the beach and look for phosphorescence in the salt water when it's dark.

Tomorrow I've been invited to walk a friend's labyrinth in the woods, a full-scale replica of the one at Chartres Cathedral. I did the same thing at the Winter Solstice with some other folks. It takes less than an hour to go all the way in and out, but gives an amazing feeling of a journey begun and ended.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 09:20 am
Wow! Sounds wonderful.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 12:56 pm
Id prolly do sumthin if the dang sun were actually out..but, since it isnt Im hoping for something to do another time....and just take it all in....its actually quiet and peacful here this afternoon...might be because there is no sun so, eh....it works I suppose.
Ive been thinking though...the dropping, bumping into walls, vacuuming over my bare foot thing might end after this whole solstice thing..that would be nice...been a wierd few days and has me saying...whens this moon/sun phase going to be over ???..Ive had enough already...thanks. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:29 pm
It's the shortest day of the year, here in Oz.
To celebrate I intend to keep warm! Very Happy
Brrrrr ... It's COLD! Shocked
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Summer SOLSTICE, Sat Jun 21 -- Any plans?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/15/2024 at 11:10:33