Today Is Stephen's Birthday

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 07:50 am
He is 24. He is more like a 13 year old. He will probably not mature any farther than that.

He will probably never marry.
He will never hold a high or even a medium position anywhere.
He will never drive.
He will probably not live to a ripe old age.

In school he was primarily shown only meanness or at best indifference. He was invited to one party where he had a seizure and was never invited to another. When we threw him parties they were poorly attended. He was never invited for a sleepover.

When he turned 19 and graduated they tried to tell me that since he was a "certificate" and not a "diploma" graduate he could not walk to the stage in cap and gown like everyone else. I took care of that **** and special programs kids walk in their caps and gowns now.

He was taken off my insurance with no room for debate and placed on SSI and medicaid. Without it his medication would be 1200.00 a month. My plan was to teach him from day one to put 50.00 a month into savings and investments so one day he could have some quality of life, but the government program says that if he ever has more than 2000.00 in savings he's off the program. That would pay for his medicine for 7 weeks. Recently we moved and our house payment went up 200.00 a month so they said his housing we supply him went up in value and decreased his payment by 50.00 a month, even though we still charge him rent. We charge him rent (a minimal amount) because we are trying to teach him about responsibility and contributing to a household.

He has had a drowning incident and been declared dead and then revived. He has been beaten up by other kids on several occasions in school and had to be stitched up at the hospital for things done to him by hateful kids. He has had seizures at horribly inappropriate times and ruined countless numbers of family outings and caused an immeasurable deal of family stress.

It is highly unlikely that Stephen's situation will improve much and I worry about what will happen to him after I'm gone.

I wouldn't trade my time with Stephen for anything or anyone and I would go through all this again. I love him, and he saved my life.

Before Stephen came along and I'm ashamed to say this because I have two older daughters from a first marriage, I was a totally self centered prick who thought of myself only and took no responsibility for anything or anyone including me. Stephen taught me how to love and care for a person with no chance of anything being given back to me. Without Stephen I would have continued pursuing "Big time rock stardom" and today I would be either dead from an overdose, or an aids victim or in prison on drug charges or all of those things combined. At best I'd be an alcoholic and a drug addict no doubt.

Today I am a loyal husband and father to squinney and 4 other children besides Stephen. I don't think of myself as a particularly good father or terrific husband but I'm there day to day and my family knows that I love them. I have Stephen to thank for what little progress as a human being I've made, because he changed my direction.

Stephens' world is small. In a few minutes I'll get him up, take him to breakfast, take him bowling, take him to an afternoon movie, take him to his favorite restaurant for dinner, and then bring him home where his step mom and sibs will be waiting with presents and cake. That's about as big and happy a day as Stephen could wish for.

It's the least I can do for someone who has taught me so much.

I'm posting this because I want as many people as possible to know that my son Stephen is an important person, a life changing person, a valuable person.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,829 • Replies: 56
No top replies

George

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:09 am
Happy Birthday, Stephen!
Give him a kiss for me, Bear.
Because of Clive I know a little of this, but nowhere as much as you.

Hang in.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:11 am
Happy Birthday, Stephen! Enjoy your wonderful day with your dad and your family.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:19 am
Bear, you're definitely one of the good guys.

Happy Birthday, Stephen. Have a great day.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:26 am
I guess I could post "reading about Stephen" in the "what made me smile today" thread.

Happy Birthday Kiddo!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:27 am
Re: Today Is Stephen's Birthday
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
He is 24.
A happy 24th birthday to a young man with a good loving dad. A young man who gave his dad a sense of pride and an ability to love beyond just himself.

Enjoy your day Stephen.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 08:44 am
Happy b'day Stephen !!!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:01 am
Quote:
In a few minutes I'll get him up, take him to breakfast, take him bowling, take him to an afternoon movie, take him to his favorite restaurant for dinner, and then bring him home where his step mom and sibs will be waiting with presents and cake

Sounds like he got exactly the family he needs. I'm happy for you Stephen- and wish you only the best today and every birthday you celebrate in the future.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:07 am
Happy birthday Stephen!

Bear, that was quite moving. I hope Stephen reads it some day.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:28 am
Happy Birthday big guy! And many more, for both of you.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 09:31 am
Bear
Happy Birthday to Stephen. Big hugs and kisses to him, Bear, Squinney and the other cubs. I've always liked you and now I know why.

BBB
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 10:22 am
The story didn't surprise me one bit. It just confirmed what I've always thought of our Bear. And it made me proud to know him all over again.

Happy, Happy Birthday to Stephen. I hope you enjoy your day!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:50 am
Happy birthday Stephen!

(Have you consulted a professional financial planner? They can give you options that you may not have access to.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 11:54 am
Happy Birthday, Stephen. The world can be a hard place, but your father can be a firm man.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 12:55 pm
Re: Today Is Stephen's Birthday
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm posting this because I want as many people as possible to know that my son Stephen is an important person, a life changing person, a valuable person.

I'm not surprised, considering the parents. Happy birthday, Steven!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 01:00 pm
Happy Stephen's Birthday[/b][/size] to the whole family, but especially to Stephen.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 02:33 pm
Much love to you Bear.

ANd happy birthday to your 'little' man.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 02:54 pm
A happy birthday .... and all the best to all bears!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 03:21 pm
Happy Birthday, Stephen! Smile

Reading that choked me up, you darn Bear. You may not think of yourself as the greatest dad and husband, but there are not many people who have the strength necessary to turn themselves around like you did. Good for you. And good for Stephen, to have had such a positive impact on someone else's life. That's the best any of us can hope to do with our lives.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 03:35 pm
http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/news_images/2761_7372_1.jpg

Dear Stephen,

Happy Birthday and thanks for all the great things you've taught everyone around you.

Beth

(love your tattoo Very Happy )
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Today Is Stephen's Birthday
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 07:05:16