Decline and Fall

Tommy

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 02:18 pm

I am still working and feeling my way through Able2Know and what I have discovered is that this is a better site than Abuzz. Abuzz has gone to the dogs over the couple of months and it is sad because it used to be a good site for all styles of commentary/question etc. I have been on Abuzz for nearly two years and it looks like the end is approaching. It has become a political rant, with every third thread a mirror of the others. A shame.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,850 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 02:47 pm
Ditto. I have been on Abuzz for nearly 3 years, and I am walking away in total disgust!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 02:49 pm
Sad but true, I Abuzz no more and cannot bare to watch it die.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2002 09:49 pm
I still check all my Abuzz "interactions involved in" daily, usually before I log on to A2K. I agree with all you all say, except for one thing. I'm not so sure that -- like Mark Twain's obituary -- the prediction of the demise of Abuzz might not be a bit premature.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 06:58 am
Merry Andrew- I predict that Abuzz will ramble along, but with a different "cast of characters". Even now, when I do check it, most of the old names are either missing or scarce.
0 Replies

Tommy

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 02:19 pm
Yes, well, maybe it will continue to evolve to what it was.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:34 pm
Tommy: The biggest problem I have with Abuzz is that the NYT doesn't think enough of the membership to send a message regarding what's taking place, why things go wrong, what they're doing to fix it, etc. etc. It's as though they're slapping us all in the face by ignoring us and allowing all the imposters and the disgusting excuses for threads to continue.

There's no insult as demeaning as indifference, and that's their modus-operendi, not a nice thing to do.

I wouldn't buy the NYT newspaper if my life depended on it, based on all of the above.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 11:55 pm
Interestingly, most of the posts about the changes in Abuzz we see are virtual duplicates of the posts the original members of the Beehive made when it was turned into Abuzz. They felt (and said) that the arrival of a large group of non-educators beginning in roughly March or April of 2000 meant the end of the site - many of them abandoned the site in June or July of 2000.

It may be very much a 'generational' thing we are part of. Many of us were part of that second generation of Abuzzers, and our life expectancy there may be up.

I continue to visit the site twice daily, and stay active in a small group of threads.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 12:36 am
Very Happy I have not been "Able2know" for very long. I am an Abuzz addict who cannot give it up. I do think, though, that most of the current interactions are rather silly, mundane, vulgar or angry.

I have not explored A2K very much. I'll get to it, however. Many Abuzzers are members here. Diversity is good for us all.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 06:27 am
Everyone is saying exactly the same thing. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 06:42 am
Hmmm - Beth is actually saying, I think, something quite different.

She is suggesting that Abuzz may be evolving from the site that most of us knew to a different thing again - - and that this may not mean the "end" of Abuzz, merely an Abuzz for a different type of user.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 06:46 am
I wonder what type that would be!?!?!?!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2002 06:49 am
Well, i have heard there is an influx of folk asking for information - which is, i guess, what Abuzz was meant to do...
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 05:51 pm
Damn impertinent, too, fluxin' in just like that! Want no fluxin' allowed when I'uz a little shaver abuzzin' around.

It does make a body wonder whatever's comin' next ... mandatory answerin' in place of the trusty old cold shoulder? 'Spect the thumbscrews ain't far off.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 05:58 pm
already done disabled my afuzzed account.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 06:51 pm
I had been peeking in about once a day. I have not gone near it today. I won't disable it, but I don't think that I will visit it very often anymore. There is nothing on that site that I want or need!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Decline and Fall
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:17:12