old hat

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:13 am
I have several hats (just ask finn) including my sunday go to meeting brown Stetson but my favorite is my Rengade;
http://www.bbar10.com/Renegade/Greycavalry.jpg I have worn for abot 15 or 20 years and the lady Diane thinks it's too old, sweat stained and dirty and wants me to toss it. I can't bring myself to do so although I am willing to buy a new Stetson I am not quite up to tossing my Renegade, It's just too comfortable for my head and my personality.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 425 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:20 am
Hang on to that hat, and don't let Diane dissuade you. That hat has HISTORY, and is a part of you.

My husband has a grey wool shirt, that he had when I first met him. He has patched the elbows, and there is paint all over it from his various projects, over the years. It looks like something no Bowery bum would deign to wear, but I would not dream of asking him to get rid of it. It has too many memories attached to it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:23 am
Buy a new one. Break it in slowly. After the new one is sufficiently stained, greasy and dirty, hang the old one above the bed as a keepsake and blessing to your marriage. Why? Cause if not for Diane, you probably never woulda thought to buy a new hat.

Just be aware. The next step is new underwear. Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:27 am
^ and please dont hang THAT above the bed ^
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:29 am
Reminds me of the hat Glenn Ford always wore in his westerns. The more beat up and stained it got, the more character it had.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:30 am
squinney wrote:
Buy a new one. Break it in slowly. After the new one is sufficiently stained, greasy and dirty, hang the old one above the bed as a keepsake and blessing to your marriage. Why? Cause if not for Diane, you probably never woulda thought to buy a new hat.

Just be aware. The next step is new underwear. Laughing

actually I need new underwear.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:37 am
She might know what's good for ya, dys.

Some womenfolk have a special touch that way.

Then again, she might just be threatened to your hat. Beware of brujas trying to separate you from those you love.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:42 am
I guess she is mostly embarrassed that I don't wear a fancy clean hat, I never want to embarrass her.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:42 am
Ah, I understand dys. There is no convincing me to toss my old toque.
It's got grease stains, holes, and a de-pomed pom-pom, but I likes it.

You could always put it in the bedroom closet and use it for role-playing. Bet Gus could come up with a good storyline for that...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 08:26 am
Mr. Eva has a hat like that, Dys.

We call it his "fishing hat" now. He only wears it when he goes camping and the like. So don't throw the hat away. Just save it for "grubby" occasions. Everyone needs a few clothes like that, right?

And bless you for not wanting to embarrass Diane. That is so very sweet.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:10 pm
a new Stetson, white or black?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:12 pm
Black.

Can the Renegade be cleaned?

(I'll admit I never noticed it was dirty.)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 04:12 pm
Re: old hat
dyslexia wrote:
...too old, sweat stained and dirty and wants me to toss it. ...

It's a good thing that you qualified the statement making it clear that it was a hat that you were talking about. :wink: Laughing

Well, how about turning that old hat into a nice planter for the yard?

Either that, or it might make a great dish to eat chilli out of.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:07 pm
dyslexia wrote:
a new Stetson, white or black?

Depends on whether you feel like being a good guy or a bad guy. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:09 pm
One for summer, one for winter?

<I think the black would go better with your shirts>
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 07:39 pm
One time my girlfriend and I were in Vermont and we stopped into this old antiques store. There was a large, turn of the century, broad brimmed hat sitting there. My girlfriend put the hat on and she was instantly transformed. I swear I had seen her in that hat a thousand times before. She saw herself in the mirror and swore she had worn it a thousand times. I also envisioned her in an old-fashioned gown. It was eerie.

I would have bought it for her but the price was over a hundred bucks and I said, "no thanks. It's cheaper to stay in the present".
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » old hat
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 10:22:13