NOW....WHAT DID I COME IN HERE FOR?

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:50 am
I would take a bet that nearly everyone has said that to themselves, at one time or another.

This thread is about general forgetfulness, or more interesting than this (and usually a lot more comical), when your brain isn't quite in gear, for one reason or another, and you end up doing crazy, illogical things.

Yes, it's happened to me this morning, hence the thread.

I was just in the kitchen, making a coffee and some marmite on toast.

All was going well, until I sat down and started my beakfast. The toast was lovely, and after a few bites I took a sip of coffee, not realising until after I'd swilled it around in my mouth (to cool it) that I'd made myself a cup of boiling hot Marmite.

The coffee jar was still in the cupboard, untouched!

Good start to the day, eh?

I have another classic Ellpus morning mishap (well, several actually), but I'll save them 'til later.

So........fess up!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,154 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:05 am
Nothing as funny as that, recently, but I am constantly running around, looking confused, saying: What was I just going to say?/What were we just talking about?/What did I come in here for?

Only yesterday I made my way to the bedroom, stood there for several seconds, turned around, came back into the living room and asked my husband what I was just about to do.
Thank god his brain is not as screwed up as mine.
He told me what it was, but actually, right now, I cannot remember anymore!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:36 am
now, why did i open this thread again??
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:41 am
Scissors. You always go into a room for scissors.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:36 am
Ellpus
Ellpus, why would anyone in their right mind eat Marmite? It looks like it is the residue found in ancient urns recovered from ship wrecks found on the bottom of the sea. ---BBB

Marmite is a British savoury spread made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. It is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, powerful taste that polarises consumer opinion and prompts its advertising slogan that you either "love it or hate it". It is similar to Australia's Vegemite and Switzerland's Cenovis, and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

As the image on the front of every jar shows, a marmite is actually a "large covered earthenware or metal cooking pot," a word from French. [1] Marmite was originally supplied in earthenware pots, but has long been sold in glass jars that approximate the shape of such pots.[2] A thinner version in squeezable plastic jars was introduced in March 2006.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 08:54 am
Nothing like that. I've just got a tendency sometimes to get in a fix-crap-around-the-house mode, and I'll get halfway into, say, cleaning out the trap on the bathroom sink, then realize I need something from the basement, and end up screwing up falling wallboard in the basement, get halfway through that and go to the kitchen for a glass of water, realize that the floor needs to be cleaned, do that, and then retire to the couch with a sense of accomplishment, an unassembled sink tap in the bathroom, and a drill and a can of screws laying on the floor in the basement next to a half-put-up piece of wallboard.

Early senility, I calls it. At least I'm getting the chance to adjust to it while my body is still capable of compensating...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:00 am
A cup of boiling hot Marmite first thing in the morning? That's nothing. I've been known to pour coffee into cups that weren't there. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:31 am
Re: Ellpus
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Ellpus, why would anyone in their right mind eat Marmite? It looks like it is the residue found in ancient urns recovered from ship wrecks found on the bottom of the sea. ---BBB

Have you tried it, BBB?

If not, get some and spread it VERY sparingly on hot, buttered toast.

It's true what they say in their advert, you'll either LOVE it and become addicted, or run to the nearest place where you can safely spit out the awful stuff.

Me? I'm an addict, but DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend having it as a hot drink!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:34 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
quote]
Have you tried it, BBB?
It's true what they say in their advert, you'll either LOVE it and become addicted, or run to the nearest place where you can safely spit out the awful stuff.

Nope, I've not tried Marmite. At age 77, I'm too young to commit suicide in such a disgusting way.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:41 am
You needed the scotch tape, remember? When "why am I here" happens to me, the 'why' can usually be recaptured by going back to the room I came from and just standing there a few seconds. I'd worry about this as a senility sign, except that I've been this way a long long time.

Which thread is this?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:44 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
quote]
Have you tried it, BBB?

Nope, I've not tried Marmite. At age 77, I'm too young to commit suicide in such a disgusting way.

BBB :wink:

Actually, it's made from the byproduct of Guinness production.

What you say rings true to a tagline from a Guinness advert, on TV some years ago..............

"I've never tried Guinness, 'cos I don't like it!" :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:56 am
Another classic of mine, was when I was just home from a long stay in hospital, and under instructions to eat only soft "stodgy" food for a week or two.
I was famished one morning (steroids - they make you permanently hungry - [size=7]and constantly horny, but that's another story[/size] ) and opened the fridge in order to see what I could scoff.

There was one lone pot of yoghurt which looked very enticing, so I grabbed it, opened it, and made myself a coffee. I took a spoon out of the drawer in order to eat the yoghurt, and set off to the living room to watch the morning news.

I sat down in an armchair and placed the coffee on the nearby table.

Mouth watering, I went to eat my yoghurt, only to find that my left hand held a spoon, and the foil yoghurt lid.

Sitting there whilst scratching my head, it slowly dawned on me what had happened. Going back into the kitchen, I had my worst fears confirmed, upon finding the full yoghurt pot, upside down in the kitchen bin.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:57 am
It's worse in business. A customer will ask to see a product, let's say, a 1/2 Variable Speed Drill which we stock on the second floor. On my way to the second floor my boss will stop me and ask me something, I answer, he asks me something else, I answer that, I will then carry on to the second floor where I will stand struck stupid trying to remember what the hell I was supposed to bring back down.

Many times I have had to sneak back down the stairs and peek around the doorway to have a look at the customer, that is usually, but not always, enough to remind me what it was and I am off again.

Joe(I never use the stairstepper at the gym)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:19 am
Nothing forgetful, but a couple of weeks ago I was watching some people learn to place a feeding tube, and I looked at what the three of them were doing and said, "Don't you want to do that from the left side?" They all looked at me like I was the dumbest piece of **** imaginable for a couple of seconds and one of them says, "This IS the left side."

And so it was.

Makes me worry.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:57 pm
I signed up for a single room at a retreat last year. My friends were right across the hall. I set down my bags, took a quick look around to make sure the room was clean, then excitedly ran across the hall.

"Wow! I have to see your room!" I gushed. "There's the neatest fold-down bench in my shower...do you have one, too? This is SO COOL!"

My friend looked at me blankly for a second, then said, "Eva, you have the handicapped room."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:07 pm
I have enough such incidents to fill an encyclopedia set. Yesterday, the wife and I searched the entire house for the TV remote. Finally, reasoning that if it was not in a place where "we would put it," it had to be where we would not in a million years hide it. I opened up a drawer, in which I keep my supplements, and realized I had dropped it in while eating breakfast.

One of the worst, in recent memory, I put the cereal inside the fridge and the milk on top. For several hours, it stayed like that, until my wife came home and spyed it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:12 pm
One of the most annoying things that happens to me is on A2K. I will be typing along merrily, my thoughts coalescing into a witty and brilliant paragraph. Just as I am coming to the point of my writing, I stop, dead. What the hell WAS that word???? Sad
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 03:20 am
OK, now that you mentioned yoghurt, I remembered that one day I was sitting at work, thinking: Why is my stomach grumbling, I've just had a yoghurt at home (normally I don't eat in the mornings at home, so that's unusual). Then I started thinking about the yoghurt and was a bit distressed because I could not remember what flavour it was.

When I got home after work, the yoghurt was standing untouched on the kitchen counter, with just the lid removed.
Surprised(
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 06:15 am
oh yeah, throwing the food out and preparing to eat the packaging...been there.

jespah....scissors, that's a good one, gotta remember that. For me though, it's usually reading glasses.

Sit down with a book....oops, no glasses....now where are one of the 5 pairs of store boughts I have lying around the house? Oh, in the office.....
walk in office, realize I have to shred something. Go back to read....oopss, no glasses.....get up....halfway to office realize I need something to drink while reading....detour to kitchen....sit down with book....oops.....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 06:19 am
My aged neighbour answered the door to me the other day, wearing a pair of glasses. He also had a pair perched on top of his head.

"Shan't be a minute" he said "I'm just looking for my glasses".
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » NOW....WHAT DID I COME IN HERE FOR?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 05:49:36