I'ver certainly mellowed after all these years.

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 09:54 pm
my first post on a2k on Dec 08, 2002 ( it's more than one sentence)

"Nationalism (Patriotism) Theism and Racism are all shades of the same dead unicorn. They exist only in their oppositon to others and are, therefore, self defeating. As when persons are of the same genotype, religion or nationality,all of these "isms" are negated. The inherent conflict is what defines them. Without an atheist, or Muslim or Jew there can be no Christian. Without national borders, governments, flags, there can be no American, no Italian. These characteristics are defined, again, by their opposition to "other". Yet all of these characteristics are arbitrary abstractions sans integrity or merit. Not unlike Plato and Aristotle with their "ideals' and "forms" which gave us the ideas of what "should be", be the perfect oak tree or the perfect man. We, as a culture, are doomed to conflict in order to maintain our identify regardless of its validity. Just as the bells of europe were melted down to make cannon, the cannon were forged to silence the bells. Just as the choir tunes itself to a greater song, the loudspeaker silences us with its domination. When a man, a nation, a religion or a race becomes so dominate that it vanquishes its opposition, it loses its power because that very power was defined by its opposition. Just as Julius Caesar played the game so well that he destroyed all his opponents, he became unable to do the very thing for which he sought power. When his word became unquestionable he no longer had anyone to speak to. Just my opinion, i could be wrong."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 307 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:03 pm
Have you?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:11 pm
Yeah, I make shorter posts now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:12 pm
smiles..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:22 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Me too.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:30 pm
I don't think Lady Diane and dys as opposites are a figment of our imagination.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:40 pm
Nor do I.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:43 pm
Now the courtroom is quiet, but who will confess.
Is it true you betrayed us? The answer is Yes.
Then read me the list of the crimes that are mine,
I will ask for the mercy that you love to decline.
And all the ladies go moist, and the judge has no choice,
a singer must die for the lie in his voice.
And I thank you, I thank you for doing your duty,
you keepers of truth, you guardians of beauty.
Your vision is right, my vision is wrong,
I'm sorry for smudging the air with my song.

Oh, the night it is thick, my defences are hid
in the clothes of a woman I would like to forgive,
in the rings of her silk, in the hinge of her thighs,
where I have to go begging in beauty's disguise.
Oh goodnight, goodnight, my night after night,
my night after night, after night, after night, after night, after night.

I am so afraid that I listen to you,
your sun glassed protectors they do that to you.
It's their ways to detain, their ways to disgrace,
their knee in your balls and their fist in your face.
Yes and long live the state by whoever it's made,
sir, I didn't see nothing, I was just getting home late.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:50 pm
Um...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 10:54 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Not always.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:00 am
Yeah! Right!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:10 am
So, what was for supper, dys?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:18 am
Re: I'ver certainly mellowed after all these years.
dyslexia wrote:
my first post on a2k on Dec 08, 2002 ( it's more than one sentence)

"Nationalism (Patriotism) Theism and Racism are all shades of the same dead unicorn. They exist only in their oppositon to others and are, therefore, self defeating. As when persons are of the same genotype, religion or nationality,all of these "isms" are negated. The inherent conflict is what defines them. Without an atheist, or Muslim or Jew there can be no Christian. Without national borders, governments, flags, there can be no American, no Italian. These characteristics are defined, again, by their opposition to "other". Yet all of these characteristics are arbitrary abstractions sans integrity or merit. Not unlike Plato and Aristotle with their "ideals' and "forms" which gave us the ideas of what "should be", be the perfect oak tree or the perfect man. We, as a culture, are doomed to conflict in order to maintain our identify regardless of its validity. Just as the bells of europe were melted down to make cannon, the cannon were forged to silence the bells. Just as the choir tunes itself to a greater song, the loudspeaker silences us with its domination. When a man, a nation, a religion or a race becomes so dominate that it vanquishes its opposition, it loses its power because that very power was defined by its opposition. Just as Julius Caesar played the game so well that he destroyed all his opponents, he became unable to do the very thing for which he sought power. When his word became unquestionable he no longer had anyone to speak to. Just my opinion, i could be wrong."

Wow. I like that a lot. I'm keepin' it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I'ver certainly mellowed after all these years.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/14/2024 at 12:24:20