Madonna Buys A Baby

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:08 am
Madonna has branded critics of her adoption of a baby boy from Malawi as "racist".

After reading all about Madonna's adoption I can't decide whether it's right or wrong. Is it wrong for her to adopt a black child because she is white. Are people who criticize this racist?

What do you think guys?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 584 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:25 am
I think if it's for the best of the child black, white, female, male, catholic, muslim should not matter.

From Germany I know that it is very difficult to adopt a German child.
The waiting list is so long, that most parents don't stand a chance, because by the time it's their turn they are too old to adopt.

That is why a couple I know recently adopted to children from Columbia.
And looking at their happy faces (parents and children), I cannot see how it could be wrong.

With a celebrity (and rich woman) like Madonna, I think she would have ways of helping children in her own country.
And I cannot rid myself of the feeling that it's nothing but a stunt to get into the headlines (once again).

Maybe I am wrong! I hope so!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:06 am
If there were appropriate black or African people wanting to adopt the child, I would think that would be the ideal. But in the absence of that, for a child to have a family and a home is almost always better than not, no matter what races any of the participants are.

I don't know why people are giving her such a hard time with this. It's not like people are standing in line to adopt these African children. There are so many children stagnating in orphanages there. Plenty to go around for everyone who wants one- trouble is, most people don't-thank god for this little guy she does.
And so what if she did it quickly? That's only better for the little boy. The earlier a child creates an attachment with a caregiver, the better.
And so what if she paid money? She didn't set the standard of paying for the privilege to adopt.
She gets enough headlines on her own without using this child or any
other, and this is a pretty life-long commitment to make for the sake of publicity. As long as the childs' biological father agrees (which it looks like he has), what's the issue? I think she did a great thing.

DP, I'd only heard people had a problem with it because she was famous and maybe paid more money. I hadn't heard the racism facet of it. Is that from the people in Africa, or is that the developed world press speaking?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:43 am
aidan, it was Madonna herself that claimed people were being racist when they criticized the adoption.

DP

x
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:52 am
Funny, nobody brought up the race thing with Angelina's adopted children, or even with Nicole Kidman/Tom Cruise's children. Why would Madonna go there?
I believe, and this is just my opinion, that she adopted this child outside of protocol, seeking favorable publicity, like Jolie, and it has backfired on her.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:53 am
Why was it ok for Jolie, but Madonna is getting flack...?

[size=7]BTW, I think Madonna is jumping on the Jolie bandwagon.[/size]

However, in the end, I'm happy for the child.

(I just refreshed and see eoe is thinking the same thing.)
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:08 pm
Lash, she had been looking for 2 years, which was before Jolie. I wish there were more facts reported on the news. Smile

I think she did a wonderful thing, and I hope this makes even more people/stars/whoever adopt! Smile
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 03:11 pm
I'm not sure how people could argue that what Madonna did is racist. She is perceived as an opportunist, so perhaps the one criticism I have is that she did this for the media attention. But from what I've heard her say in interviews, I don't think this is the case.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 03:20 pm
No, it was Madonna saying that people who criticized the adoption were racist.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 11:39 pm
Is she saying that black people who would prefer having black children adopted by black parents are being racist?

If so, I think she should consider the fact that a white child would never be placed in an adoptive home with black parents. Think about it. Have you ever heard of a white child being placed with a black person? It wouldn't happen-or if it does, it's very, very rare. Maybe in a case of a birth mother or biological family specifically appointing who they want to raise their child or something, but I don't think it would ever happen otherwise. And it's not a matter of no black adoptive families being willing to take white children.

It's because there are just recognized cultural differences that would make it difficult for that child. And the same is true for black children in white families. There just happen to be a whole lot more black children in Africa than black adults able to adopt them, due to the aids epidemic, so anyone who's willing to step in has to be considered.

A child who's adopted already has the difficulties of having lost his mother, knowing that he's had to be adopted and realizing that he'll maybe never know his biological family or be able to live with them. Coming to terms with all of that can be difficult, so it just makes sense for kids who are facing all of these things, that if it is at all possible, to place them in a home where they'd be with people who are from a silimilar background and culture- so that they can feel and maybe even look like that they belong in their family. That's not racist, it's sensitive, compassionate, and logical.

But I think Madonna seems pretty culturally aware, and probably has a lot of black friends-especially males-who can act as role models for this little black male, and that's important. Because though Guy Ritchie might be an okay guy, and maybe even a great dad - he can't teach a black male what it means to be a black male-he has no idea.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Madonna Buys A Baby
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 04:18:51