Slow down?

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:36 am
Does this world need to slow down?

Technology is bigger(or smaller) and better, emails, texts, bleepers, communication has gone haywire, things are expected quicker,faster, on the plate right now!!!
Do we therefore feel we need to treat ourselves more?
Work hard, play hard.
Whats a happy medium?

Is the world speeding up effecting the average person too much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 495 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:52 am
I love technology. We lost our internet for a couple of weeks when we moved and we were completely hopeless. We actually had to open a yellowpages to find numbers, open a map and plot out directions, call people instead of email... it was horrible.

I like the idea of my wife being able to get ahold of me anytime she wants by taking a out her cell phonce that is barely larger than a credit card thesse days and calling me.

I like cooking eggs in 1 minute and 8 seconds in my microwave. Bacon takes 1 minute 28 seconds.

I like having all of my music I ever purchased in my pocet and ready to be listened to.

I like all of that stuff and so much more.

That being said... I relish the days where we hole ourselves up inside our place on a cold winter day/night, turn off the phones, turn on the electric blanket, pop in a movie and pretend like we are the last people on earth.

The older I get, the more I enjoy my time away from the rest of the world... probably because the older Iget the more the rest of the world annoys me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:18 am
Quote:
The older I get, the more I enjoy my time away from the rest of the world... probably because the older Iget the more the rest of the world annoys me.

jp- I absolutely agree. Sometimes I think that I could go for days and be happy not talking to another person. That is probably why I too love the internet.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:25 am
The biggest negative in the increase in technology is the demands of an employer.

It appears that even when we are not in work or, outside of our working hours (the time we get paid for), that we are expected to answer to a client, boss, company.

I will not respond to work related calls, emails or questions in my off-time. I work long hours as it is and my off-time is very short indeed anyways. I need this time to myself and they are not paying me adequately to invade that space.

I once told a manager, who called me while I was on vacation, to please call me again in two weeks, on my return. He was shocked and then angry and I explained what a vacation was, much to his chagrin. I also rushed out of the bathroom (at home) once, drawers around my ankles (picture it!) to answer the phone since I was expecting an urgent call from my sister in Australia, only to find another manager asking me to participate in a conference call with a client. It was 11 o'clock at night!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:36 am
Heeven wrote:
I once told a manager, who called me while I was on vacation, to please call me again in two weeks, on my return. He was shocked and then angry and I explained what a vacation was, much to his chagrin. I also rushed out of the bathroom (at home) once, drawers around my ankles (picture it!) to answer the phone since I was expecting an urgent call from my sister in Australia, only to find another manager asking me to participate in a conference call with a client. It was 11 o'clock at night!

This is incredible! What a gall! If you were a waitress, you should be tipped. Heck, you deserve a tip anyways, just because.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:11 pm
Reyn wrote:
If you were a waitress, you should be tipped. Heck, you deserve a tip anyways, just because.

Let's hope the client believes in tipping.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:41 pm
Reyn, you make me smile - how cute are you!

I'm laughing (inside) since not only did I get no tip - meaning a share in the bonus pool at year end, but I also got no raise on the salary review (even though my boss recommended me for one).

I investigated and found out others did get raises and did get bonuses but they were the 'favorites' and apparently I am not in the right clique.

I made my extreme displeasure known (shouted it from the rooftops), received verbal platitudes and now await, with baited breath to see if this year I get anything. Should be interesting ....

I may have to borrow a pair of boxing gloves from Dag if it doesn't come through.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 01:31 pm
I do love technology, for the most part. But I am a simple person, all in all.
The idea of vacation to me is hauling my own water and seeing less than 10% man-made objects in sight.

I don't care so much if others so slow down and much as I'd like them to Shut Up and Stop Producing So Much - so much people, things, sounds, useless activity. Billions of people competing for my mind space at once, most with no regard whatsoever.

I don't love some of the zombies it has produced. Everything is so easy to escape, it's a new breed of addicts.

I don't like how it impacts those who are left behind because of poverty or circumstance.

In regards to mental health (and much more) it sure is a double-edged sword .
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 01:46 pm
material girl wrote:
Does this world need to slow down?

If I moved any slower I'd be going backwards.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:28 pm
I love the internet, but I hate all the useless email I get and most of it is from well-being friends. I refuse to pass along anything that forces someone to either re-forward or admit to hating God, Jesus, little children, friends and all the other stuff. If I open an email and it has a big ol flower on it....zap, I've probably seen it a million times since I've been online.

I dislike watching all the folks walking around with a phone in their ear. The ones who really freak me out are the ones with the little receiver in their ears and you usually think they are talking to themselves.

But, I never go anywhere without my cell, but I turn it off when it could be a nuisance.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:31 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Reyn wrote:
If you were a waitress, you should be tipped. Heck, you deserve a tip anyways, just because.

Let's hope the client believes in tipping.

Some employers and customers feel the practise is just fine.

I think everyone should be tipped. It should be like....a human rights kind of thing.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:33 pm
Heeven wrote:
Reyn, you make me smile - how cute are you!

I'm laughing (inside) since not only did I get no tip - meaning a share in the bonus pool at year end, but I also got no raise on the salary review (even though my boss recommended me for one).

I'm glad I brought a smile to your day. :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Slow down?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:38:23