China will be next superpower?

tonet

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:12 am
I am a guy from China , and my major is international relationships studies. People who visited our institute always asked us whether China would search for superpower? As a Chinese , i know the answer definitely,China will not and can not be a superpower. But they told me, China have so many people , grant territory as well as increasingly economic strength... I knew that question they paid such kind of attention was not that could China be a superpower but question about China's Threaten. But we Chinese knew that we not only have Shanghai , Beijing these kinds of metropolis, we also have great many pleaces that people even can not earning enough money for foods. Our economy is development rapidly, but the per capita GDP is only over 1000 us dollar far more less from US. There are so many problems doomed will not be a superpower . We are only the emergencing power. How did ur guys opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,489 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:28 pm
I think that the Chinese leadership would like nothing better than to become a superpower, and they're very close to achieving that status now. You speak of the low GDP and the fact that Chinese peasants in the outlying provinces are near starvation while the plutocrats in Beijing and Shanghai live quite as well as any Western European. But that is irrelavant and immaterial. The Soviet Union at one time was a superpower and its economic situation was very close to that of the Chinese today. The problem with the Soviet Union -- and the main reason why it collapsed -- was that it refused to recognize the power of a free market economy. The Chinese are far smarter than that. Did anyone in the West ever see their stores flooded with goods made in the USSR? I don't think so. Today, in the USA, you can hardly buy anything that isn't made in China, including American flags. The fact that this wealth from overseas doesn't trickle down to the common man isn't going to keep the country from achieving a status of great power in the world.
0 Replies

tonet

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 04:10 am
You just estimated this topic from you side. I agree that all the Chinese goods sale in the US markets make the citizens believe that China have a great economic strength. The fact is not as simple as what people have seen. A great parts of these products have produced by American companies. As our Trade minister BO xilai said we Chinese people have to use millions T-shirts to exchane a Boeing areplane. This trade relationship is unequal, just as American always said we have great many trade deficits with China. We can not define China as a superpower by people's instinct. As we talk to a professor from US Navy research department yesterday, ecnomy power do not as important as people's instinct in international relationships. Military power is the essential power now a day to define a superpower. That means we can not catch up with the US military power in alsmost hundreds years. People know the budget of US military is over the sum of the all other nations over the world. And America also has lots alliances ,like NATO, Coalition of willings. We just have one who is definitely a trouble-maker. So i believe that both Chinese and it leadership would not pursuit superpower but to do somethings more meanful to Chinese common citizens.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:07 am
Today I hear of guandong province. Many factories now produce hi tech goods such as X box rather than low value good such as underwear.

controlling growth to an acceptable level will be a major function of the chinese government.

I am lead to believe that corruption is a major issue in China today.
corruption is officials seeking bribes to allow things to happen or taking advantage of people lower down in the workforce.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 05:13 am
tonet wrote:
So i believe that both Chinese and it leadership would not pursuit superpower but to do somethings more meanful to Chinese common citizens.

If this a true interpretation of the situation in china today I applaud you.
In my mind I also ask Is this what the chinese government want us to think.

Actions speak louder than words.

To my western friends: I see spin
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:21 pm
dadpad wrote:
tonet wrote:
So i believe that both Chinese and it leadership would not pursuit superpower but to do somethings more meanful to Chinese common citizens.

If this a true interpretation of the situation in china today I applaud you.
In my mind I also ask Is this what the chinese government want us to think.

Actions speak louder than words.

To my western friends: I see spin

Yes, so do I.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 07:38 pm
As do I.
0 Replies

motorbosch

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 07:48 am
i'm come from china too,in my opinion,Nobody don't happy when own state being stronger.so if china one day be a superpower.I will be very glad! I hated monopolization,because it will breach rules and disturb the
normal trade if in the market.so in the world,I hope more and more nations would be a superpower.then balance will come.
0 Replies

Roger Su

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:28 am
The point is what's the definition of superpower, and through what kind of means that China get the so called superpower.
If it is featured by strong economy strength, democracy, great contribution to human' welfare..., and it is gotten through natural development without hurting the world's development and other people's welfare, as US and other western countries do(suppose this is the truth, because they think so when they criticise other countries).
Then, is their anything wrong with China of getting the superpower??? Confused
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2006 12:26 pm
The PRC IS a superpower, and has been since the mid-20th century.

* China exercises immense influence over both the region, and the world at large.
* China is a permanent member of the UN Security Council.
* China has the world's largest population, and occupies more land than Europe. Mandarin is the most spoken human language. Within her borders, China has untapped resources greater than many other nations.
* China's economic growth has been phenomenal in recent years, but even at its lowest point the Chinese economy was so large that it could only be compared to other "world class" economies.
* China has one of the world's largest standing military forces, and that force is becoming ever more capable. China is one of the few nations able to launch significant numbers of intercontinental missiles to any point on the globe.
* China is one of the small number of nations capable of venturing into space.

Being a superpower has nothing to do with the political system, contributions to human welfare or morality. To be a super power, a nation has only to be a significant element to the rest of the world. There is no absolute scale of measuring how powerful a nation is, and every nation has some degree of power. The threat posed by Iran, a relatively small backward country, and its oil reserves could make it a minor super power ... even without a nuclear inventory. Some super powers are more dangerous than others.
0 Replies

newsn01

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 04:36 am
Asherman wrote:
The PRC IS a superpower, and has been since the mid-20th century.

* China exercises immense influence over both the region, and the world at large.
* China is a permanent member of the UN Security Council.
* China has the world's largest population, and occupies more land than Europe. Mandarin is the most spoken human language. Within her borders, China has untapped resources greater than many other nations.
* China's economic growth has been phenomenal in recent years, but even at its lowest point the Chinese economy was so large that it could only be compared to other "world class" economies.
* China has one of the world's largest standing military forces, and that force is becoming ever more capable. China is one of the few nations able to launch significant numbers of intercontinental missiles to any point on the globe.
* China is one of the small number of nations capable of venturing into space.

Being a superpower has nothing to do with the political system, contributions to human welfare or morality. To be a super power, a nation has only to be a significant element to the rest of the world. There is no absolute scale of measuring how powerful a nation is, and every nation has some degree of power. The threat posed by Iran, a relatively small backward country, and its oil reserves could make it a minor super power ... even without a nuclear inventory. Some super powers are more dangerous than others.

0 Replies