Amnesia Al Identified but...

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:23 am
Amnesia Al showed up at a mental hospital in Colorado with amnesia. He made a televised plea for someone to please identify him so he could know who he is.

Today, CNN is reporting that his fiance identified him and said he had disappeared in Canada 6 weeks ago.

Umm, was anyone looking for him before now?

Why didn't we hear about the "runaway groom?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 588 • Replies: 14
No top replies

squinney

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:43 pm
I guess I'm the only one that finds this weird? He was missing for 6 weeks and all the fiance did was file a missing persons? No family looking for him? No news reporters frantically called in to get the word out that he is missing?

Here's the link to the story: Police: Fiancee identifies man with amnesia
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:46 pm
Come on -- big missing person stories on the news are reserved or attractive young white females. Haven't you realized this by now?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:47 pm
Maybe his family hates him.

Or maybe amnesia is a congenital disease with them and they don't remember he's missing!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:48 pm
Gee. I hope I never go missing. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:50 pm
Hey, whose clothes are these?

Ah, well, I'll just give them to Goodwill.

Hey, whose clothes are these?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:06 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Maybe his family hates him.

Or maybe amnesia is a congenital disease with them and they don't remember he's missing!

You're probably right.

From the article the doctore said "Ingram's family saw the news conference and contacted Penny, who then contacted Denver police."

What, they couldn't make a long distance phone call?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:07 pm
They forgot how!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:13 pm
Perhaps her family urged her to play it cool, wait....wait....wait.

Absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:17 pm
Oh, honey...I didn't run out on the wedding. I have amnesia...riiiiight.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:02 am
Well, I've made the aquaintance with persons ill with psychogenic /dissociative fugue (and their families).

I wouldn't like at all to suffer from such.

Dissociative Fugue

(And of course the family searched for him as did the police. Obviously, you're reading the wrong papers.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:14 am
Sorry Walter. No time to read papers. I was just going by CNN's reporting, which made it sound really weird given the hoopla over the missing bride.

No doubt you get better reporting than we do. Who woulda thought that a few years ago? Crying or Very sad

Did the person you know regain memory and identity? How long did it take?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:30 am
Actually, it were two persons - one, staff thought, he just made it up, the other was a woman with a simailar illness background as "Ali".

I'm not sure what happened with them (or if I reall knew it), it happened a longer time ago.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:47 am
Quote:
It's still an unfamiliar life for man with amnesia

By Curt Woodward
Associated Press
Published November 3, 2006

LACEY, Wash. -- He has flipped through the photos, listened to the stories, read through all the letters. But more than a month after he left his home in Washington and woke up in Denver with no memory, Jeff Ingram still has no idea who he is.

"Family vacations, high school graduation . . . your first dance, your first kiss. That's all lost," Ingram said.

"It's probably the most frustrating thing that a person can ever go through, is to lose their identity," he said.

What Ingram remembers is waking up in Denver on Sept. 10. He had no idea who or where he was, and had nothing but $8 and the clothes he was wearing.

Doctors determined the memory loss came from a disorder called dissociative fugue, a rare type of amnesia that can be triggered by stress.

A televised plea--"If anybody recognizes me, knows who I am, please let somebody know"--led to a reunion with his fiance, Penny Hansen.

Ingram, a 40-year-old former millworker, and Hansen, a state government worker, sat hand-in-hand Wednesday as they thanked those who helped bring Ingram home.

"Jeff and I are here to tell you that faith, love and hope are alive and well through this story," Hansen said.

According to his relatives, Ingram suffered a similar memory loss in 1995, when he vanished for about nine months.

Ingram said Thursday his friends tell him he's pretty much the same guy he was before he disappeared, though a few things have changed. Food is one thing. He told ABC's "Good Morning America" Thursday he's been told he didn't like green peppers or coconuts before, but he likes them now.

http://i12.tinypic.com/2cmpwnk.jpg

sources: today's Chicago Tribune, online and page A3 of the print version.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:57 pm
Hmmmm. I wonder if he was engaged back in 1995 too..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Amnesia Al Identified but...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 02:31:24