Registered vs Active members?

Bohne

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 05:46 am
How many of the currently 63098 registered members do you thing are regularly active on this site?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,681 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:02 am
Re: Registered vs Active members?
Bohne wrote:
How many of the currently 63098 registered members do you thing are regularly active on this site?

That depends on your definitions of "regularly", I guess.

I once asked a similar question on the subscribers' forum, when registered membership was a little more than 52,000. The answer was that of those 52,000, about 19,000 had posted anything, 11,000 more than one post. 5,140 Members had 5 or more posts, 3,153 10 or more, 1,1996 50 or more, 845 100 or more, 270 1,000 or more, 44 10,000 or more.

This data is 8 months old, but it should give you some idea.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:02 am
How does one define "active"?

Posting "X" number of posts per day

Writing "X" number of questions per week?

Being "around" every day, although not posting a lot?

Being around sporadically, but posting a lot on the days when the person is on the forum?

What else?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:10 am
Thomas- It is interesting. Looking at your profile, I see that you have a little over 5,700 posts, which is not terribly active, in terms of the time that you have been on this site. Yet, I consider you a "force" on this forum. Maybe that is because of the quality of your posts.

Again, quality is that "indefinable something" that sets one member apart from the other. People can rack up a lot of posts in the "word games", (I become involved in them, from time to time) yet not make much of an impact in terms of the forum, and the discussion of ideas.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:41 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Thomas- It is interesting. Looking at your profile, I see that you have a little over 5,700 posts, which is not terribly active, in terms of the time that you have been on this site. Yet, I consider you a "force" on this forum. Maybe that is because of the quality of your posts.

Thanks -- and you're right of course: More volume by itself doesn't mean greater impact. (Asherman, Debra Law, and joefromchicago have all submitted fewer posts than I have. I don' think any of them has had a lower impact than me on the site.) But Bohne's question was about "regularly active", and people here tend to stick around once they start posting. So I think any threshold between 50 and 1000 posts yields an acceptable estimate of how many people are "regularly active".
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:42 am
Bohne wrote:

10. I've counted them.

They have multiple accounts and talk to each other all the time! It's quite amusing to watch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:56 am
On active, I'd say count'em between 50 and 35,000 posts, not 1000.
Still, there are people who've dropped out entirely with quite a few posts - Fealola, Goodfellow, Hobitbob - well, lots. Some drop out for a while and come back. I'd subtrack a percentage for stayed-dropped-out, a fairly high one.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 01:49 pm
ossobuco wrote:
On active, I'd say count'em between 50 and 35,000 posts, not 1000.

"50 or more" includes "35,000"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 01:50 pm
I reread the word 'threshold', gotcha.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 04:37 pm
Reyn wrote:
Bohne wrote:

10. I've counted them.

They have multiple accounts and talk to each other all the time! It's quite amusing to watch.

True.

I am actually Reyn, roxanne, brandon, snood, intrepid, lovislikearose, miller NoNe and gus.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 04:44 pm
Think of the compatibilty issues for daily decisions.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 05:10 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Reyn wrote:
Bohne wrote:

10. I've counted them.

True.

I am actually Reyn, roxanne, brandon, snood, intrepid, lovislikearose, miller NoNe and gus.

and don't forget prettyrussian (okay we'd all like to forget pretty russian), but she claimed to be, what, 6 or 7 people all sharing the same account
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 07:59 pm
Near as I can figure, about a dozen members, all currently active (have posted within the past 30 days), each have contributed in excess of 25,000 posts apiece. Another 50 or so members have somewhere between 10,000 and 25,000 posts apiece - all but a few of that group have posted to A2K within the past 30 days. Another several hundred members tally somewhere between 1,000 and 10,000 posts each, and, while I didn't really dig into the numbers very deeply it seems to me most - though not all - of them are currently active as well. Thousands of members have posted between 1 and 1,000 posts, but I didn't make any effort to try to figure out which or how many of those could be considered "Active". Down at the other end of the spectrum, it looks as though perhaps 40,000+/- folks who've registered have posted nothing.

All in all, I'd guess its safe to assume this website has a few hundred members who could be considered "Very Active", several thousand members who could be considered "Active", and several tens of thousands of members who haven't posted.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 08:02 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Reyn wrote:
Bohne wrote:

10. I've counted them.

True.

Intrepid is the best looking of the group. :wink:
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 08:26 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Reyn wrote:
Bohne wrote:

10. I've counted them.

True.

Yeah, but you have split personalities.

Better check with Dr. Chai on this one. :wink:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 08:28 pm
Reyn wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
Reyn wrote:
Bohne wrote:

10. I've counted them.

True.

Yeah, but you have split personalities.

Better check with Dr. Chai on this one. :wink:

I thought you ARE Dr. Chai. Are you trying to confuse me again?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 08:33 pm
No, it's just ME talking to myself......and I.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 09:46 pm
I can't believe Chai started this whole thread just to talk to herself.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:14 pm
[size=7]Well, I don't want to say I told you so, but she's been acting really strange lately. I think the Dr. chai thread did her in and she went a bit wacko.

A case in point, look at the "Scissors thread" she started tonight![/size]
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:55 pm
Reyn wrote:
Bohne wrote:

10. I've counted them.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know some people like that. Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Registered vs Active members?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 03:39:34