Early "vivid" childhod memories. What are yours?

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 07:43 am
I clicked on one of Reyn's threads this morning, and as soon as I saw the two words "body parts" I immediately thought of something I remembered seeing when I was about 4 years old, or even younger. I would say that this is about the earliest "vivid" memory of mine, although there are many other vague memories from an even younger age.
This one, however, is the first memory that I can still clearly visualise today, as if running a video tape in my brain.
It's nearly always triggered by a news article concerning dismembered bodies, but the memory isn't scary at all.

Up until the age of 5, my family home was a three bedroomed attached Victorian house, which was adjoined to an old Fire Station in North London.
My Dad was a fireman who had served during the blitz in central London, and had been offered the house as part of a deal to encourage experienced firemen to transfer out to "the sticks" when the Government of the day were setting up the National Fire Service.

The house fronted directly onto the busy Watling Street, a main road that goes southwards, straight down to Marble Arch.
At the back of the house, there was a small garden with a sturdy metal fence at the end. Beyond that was a very ornate Victorian "signal box" on high stilts, with an almost resident signalman (Alf Whitehead) who used to spend all day making large mugs of tea, and occasionally pulling long lever switches which changed the settings of the rails and signals for the main railway line which ran from St Pancras in London, up to Bedford in the north. This route was affectionately called the "bedpan line", and still is, I believe.

Now, during the Victorian era, numerous lunatic asylums (as they were called then) were built on the very outskirts of London, to accomodate London's "loonies".
Within three miles of our little Fire Station, there were several of these dark, forboding places, whose names struck terror into the hearts of the locals. Harperbury, Napsbury, Shenley, Leavesden and worst of all, Cell Barnes, where the violent ones were locked up.
Each asylum had its own solid brick, almost gothic watertower, which dominated the horizon for miles around. Whichever way one looked, a watertower was visible, off in the distance.
Cell Barnes had many an escapee, and a long wailing siren would drone into the night, at least once a week, signalling that someone had got out.

The reason I'm mentioning these "nuthouses" (another quaint term of the time) is that the patients who either escaped, or indeed were let out on a day release basis, were prone to finding their way to a railway road bridge which spannned the bedpan line. Once they were there, they would wait for an express steam train to pass underneath, and jump.

My Dad and his crew had the unenviable task of having to pick up the remains of a "jumper" from the track, and pass them onto the hospital authorities. He would have to take part in this activity at least once a week, but it was usually more frequent than that.
I remember seeing him and his mates on several occasions, as they walked past the end of our garden, heads down, each holding a small sack into which the limbs would be placed. My brothers and I used to wave, but didn't usually get much in the way of a response.

The memory.
I remember EXACTLY what I was doing at the time, as my Dad had set us (my older brother and I) off on one of his famous treasure hunts in the back garden. He'd told us over breakfast, that the area where we lived was a prime landing site for German spy parachutists who were dropped during the war, so that they could infiltrate London and kill the King.
The story and treasure varied from time to time, but usually involved Germans (jerry's) and the war, and some form of treasure.
Apparently, little tin capsules were dropped all around the area, filled with money, so that the spies would be able to buy food and train tickets.
He said he was pretty sure he'd seen a couple of these capsules in the garden, but was too busy to go and get them. He asked if we could have a look, as he had to go to work, and we could keep anything we found.
In record time, the cornflakes were bunged down our throats, and we started our hunt.

After about ten minutes of turning over rocks and digging various clumps of earth, we found a long narrow tin which looked very much like one of those bicycle puncture repair kits. It was coverd in mud.....and rattled.
Upon opening the tin, we found that there was a scrap of paper with what looked like German writing on it, and four large old Pennies.

As we stood there in wonder, a very large stem train approached at slow speed, brakes on full and sounding its whistle.

I stood and watched, as this giant of a train came hissing to a stop, with a man attached to the front.
He was facing forwards in a standing position, both arms fully outstretched and head looking up to the sky, eyes wide open.

The train driver was shouting to Alf Whitehead as the train stopped, and Alf was shouting "Elsie" (my Mum's name) , obviously wanting Mum to go and use the Fire Station phone to call the necessary authorities.

For what seemed like an eternity, my brother and I just stood there, mouths open, looking at this man who couldn't have been any more than twenty feet away.

All of a sudden, Mum came out of nowhere and bodily lifted me into the air and whisked both of us indoors. She was angry at us, for some strange reason. Maybe it was adrenaline.

The theory was that this "loony" had jumped from a nearby bridge, but instead of going under the train, the large coupling bolt at the front of the engine had got him underneath the rib cage, and pinned him in place, a bit like a figurehead on a ship.

We weren't allowed out for the rest of the day, so had to wait until the following day to find the rest of the treasure (which had more pennies, and some boiled sweets).

Well, that's a gruesome one to start the ball rolling.

What can YOU vividly remember?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,507 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Eva

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:12 am
Whoa.

That is some story, LordE. No wonder it's still a vivid memory. Horrible! No nightmares?

My earliest memory is much more gentle. I must have been about three years old at the time. I remember crawling across the small, white, hexagonal tiled floor of my parents bathroom, then sitting under the square pedestal sink watching my father shave.

My mother said I did this regularly, because I was always afraid he was going to cut himself. I would say, "Careful, Daddy!"
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 09:00 am
Eva wrote:
Whoa.

That is some story, LordE. No wonder it's still a vivid memory. Horrible! No nightmares?

!"

No, not one. It didn't really mean anything at the time. I was more shocked by my Mum's reaction, if truth be known.
Lots of happy memories from the Fire Station....riding in the Fire engine, ringing the bell, the smell of engine oil and brass polish, lots of excitement as the fire siren was sounded, knowing that frenzied activity would take place, culminatng in the engine roaring off down the road.

Little boys heaven, really.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 09:15 am
Clouds
I recalled pleasant childhood hours spent identifying the cloud shapes floating overhead, deciding whether they were jungle animals, exotic rose vines, medieval castles, or the faces of old folks from my neighborhood.

I stared at these new clouds in my old age, trying to recapture the imagination of my youth. But the earth's spin rushed the clouds by too fast and the shapes curled and twisted so rapidly that I could not connect them with anything from long ago or to anything the future held. I could only enjoy their beauty briefly before the next rain storm came thundering in. A too brief respite of contentment.

BBB
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 09:20 am
As they say, BBB, a grown up is merely a child who has lost the key to the Castle of imagination.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 11:50 am
Remembering childhood memories and fears
Remembering childhood memories and fears. Growing up in our two bedroom house, my two brothers shared one of the bedrooms. That room had a large closet, which became my bedroom and a favorite spot of the Daddy Long Legs.

--- BumbleBeeBoogie

DADDY LONG LEGS

In my tiny bedroom, hardly wider
than a closet four by eight,
a spindly Daddy Long Legs spider
keeps her nightly nocturnal date.

My window's narrow shaft of light
slams against the wall each dawn
as the hated creature of the night
scurries back to her haven calm.

But surely as dark comes creeping
and silence spreads across my bed
Daddy Long Legs will be leaping
and dancing o'er my sleeping head.

I know that shy lady arachnids,
with their delicate silhouettes,
are harmless ballerina kids
doing dainty spider pirouettes.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 12:14 pm
THE STALKING ROOM
It took me a while to find this earlist memory of my childhood.---BBB

THE STALKING ROOM
By BumbleBeeBoogie
(A true story I was unable to write for many years)

A bedroom in a small house, built before the Great Depression, holds memories still stalking its victim into her old age.

Spasms of nausea interrupt browsing through antique shops, stocked with pewter hand-mirrors, polished mahogany dressers, and yellowed linen table runners edged with frayed tatting.

An innocent glance with a inward eye at a faded wedding-ring patterned quilt hanging on the wall causes sweat to run down her ashen cheeks.

Her heart pounds in her chest as memories flood through her veins. She cannot escape the diary of her mind, preserving forever the unspeakable acts of two nineteen year-old men who lifted the smiling, trusting four-year old from her crib in her parent's bedroom on to the wedding-ring quilt covering the bed.

The men disappeared, but the memories of that room do not fade. They stalk her still in unexpected places, at unexpected times, in still unexpected ways.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 02:39 pm
Re: Early "vivid" childhod memories. What are your
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I clicked on one of Reyn's threads this morning, and as soon as I saw the two words "body parts" I immediately thought of something I remembered seeing when I was about 4 years old.....

Here was me thinking we were about to have a saucy story relayed about when you were young and in an exploring type mood. :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 09:42 pm
Re: Early "vivid" childhod memories. What are your
Reyn wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I clicked on one of Reyn's threads this morning, and as soon as I saw the two words "body parts" I immediately thought of something I remembered seeing when I was about 4 years old.....

Here was me thinking we were about to have a saucy story relayed about when you were young and in an exploring type mood. :wink:

Sorry to disappoint, Reyn. I can't be naughty ALL of the time...........
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 10:07 pm
The earliest memory I have is rather trivial in light of what I've been
reading so far.

When I was around 3 or 4 years old, my beloved grandfather had given me a beautiful papermachè doll that looked somewhat like me: dark braided pigtails and she wore a red and white polka-dot dress. I named her Monika and the two of us were inseparable until the day when I left Monika outside in the garden in her doll carriage for a few hours to accompany my mother
to the store.

Shortly thereafter it started raining quite heavily and poor Monika disintegrated rather quickly. By the time we got home, Monika was a
slobbery piece of pulp and couldn't be salvaged at all. I cried for days
and days. My grandfather bought me many, many dolls after that
but none was like Monika.

I still can see her lovely doll face very clearly <sigh>
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 12:02 am
My earliest memory is really very mundane.

I was sitting on the dining-room floor at my grandparents' house. There was a cabinet and the large table with the carved legs where everyone congregated. There were many giant people (at least 12 foot tall from memory) gathered at the door-way and one of them was holding something draped in white cloth. "Come and say 'hello' to your new cousin" my mother said. I was 20 months old at the time.

So too the next one.

I was walking down the garden path and I said to myself 'I am four years old and I will remember this always' and I did.

Sorry they are so boring, but you did ask.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 12:17 am
Morning M'lud !

My earliest memories include being carried upstairs to bed, and being wheeled in my pram feeling the weight of the shopping bag near my feet. Early memories seem to be associated with early language acquisition.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:16 am
I am finding all of these stories fascinating.

Loved yours about the clouds and the spider closet, BBB. So sad about the other, though. I can see why it took you so long to write. Repressed memories are difficult things. I hope writing that helped you find a way to live with it.
(((((HUGS)))))

I thought your memory of the doll was anything but trivial, CJ. Dolls are Very Important Things to little girls. As proof, I still have my favorite one. Her name is Jenny. She resembled me just like Monika resembled you. Jenny lives in a small, old, blue suitcase along with several of her dresses on the top shelf of my son's closet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:02 am
I can situate my earliest vivid childhood memory with a great deal of precision, by applying in retrospect what i know as an adult . . .

It is early in the morning, very early, and it's still dark outside. I come downstairs to use the bathroom. My grandfather is standing at the sink shaving, in his undershirt (the old-fashioned sleeveless variety), with his braces hanging down. He uses a straight razor, and shaving soap and a shaving brush. He is soaping the brush in the cup with the soap, and spreading it on his chin and cheeks. His stubble is very apparent, as his hair as coal black, even though it the day of his 59th birthday (as i now know). There is a "potty-chair" in the bathroom, and i sit down there. He turns, looks down, and smiles. Neither of us has spoken. He strops his razor on the razor-strop which always hangs beside the sink. He turns back to the mirror, and begins to scarpe the whiskers from his face--it is very audible, a unique scraping sound.

That was the morning of my fourth birthday--or so i then thought. In fact, my grandfather's birthday was six days before my own, and when i was just a liddly, i celebrated my birthday on the same day as his. Later that day, i got a wooden firetruck, with little firemen who fit into holes, round, square, triangular--all painted in brightly-colored enamels. The vision of my grandfather, however, standing at the sink shaving, i can recall with as much sharp clarity and ease as i can the events of this morning. I lived with my grandparents, and my grandfather was a station master and telegrapher with the railroad. As i later learned, he worked from 4:00 a.m. to Noon each day. The depot was just block away, down an alley kitty-corner from our front yard, so he could walk there in a minute or two. So, i know now that it was between 3:30 and 4:00 a.m. That was more than fifty years ago.

I miss my grandfather very much, to this day.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:08 am
How about that! Another story of sitting under the bathroom sink, watching someone shave. My father used a brush and a straight razor, too, Set. That was part of my memory as well. The razor strop next to the sink was used for paddling us as children...or threatening to. I still have it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:21 am
Eva wrote:
How about that! Another story of sitting under the bathroom sink, watching someone shave. My father used a brush and a straight razor, too, Set. That was part of my memory as well. The razor strop next to the sink was used for paddling us as children...or threatening to. I still have it.

If i were "bad," i'd usually get the back of my grandmother's hand. But if my crime were horrendous enough, i'd be told to wait until my grandfather got home. He'd hear the story of my criminal transgression, look at me sadly, heave a sigh, and then take me to the basement stairs, stopping for the razor strop along the way. Then we'd go down into the basement, to the coal chute. Then he'd begin to lecture me about my stupidity (to him, i'd never actually been "bad," but only thoughtless), while laying great welts on a coal sack. Each time he struck the coal sack, i'd holler, not simply because i knew it was expected of me, but because it was truly frightening--he was a quiet, gentle man, but there was no doubt that he was physically strong, and a cloud of coal dust would fly up--and i never otherwise saw him behave violently, so i was genuinely intimidated.

He'd tell me i was truly foolish to "upset the womenfolk," and point out that women did the cooking, the cleaning, the laundry--how stupid could i be not to see what side my bread was buttered on?

He was a truly loving man, and though he died 45 years ago, i still miss him that much.

LE, is not Watling Street in fact an ancient road from London to the Midlands? A Roman road built more than 2,000 years ago?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:03 am
(Setanta, You are correct about Watling Street. The moden "A5" follows its route. BTW Other "A roads" can also follow Roman roads. Any older main road that stays straight for several miles in England is likely to have Roman origins because the Roman's ignored property boundaries!)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:13 am
Setanta wrote:

LE, is not Watling Street in fact an ancient road from London to the Midlands? A Roman road built more than 2,000 years ago?

You're correct, Set.

In actual fact, I think it runs all the way up to Holyhead. It passes through StAlbans (about ten miles or so from where our fire Station was), which was called Verulamium in Roman times. There are plenty of traces of Roman walls in and around St Albans, and a brilliant Museum, stacked with various artifacts.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:49 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

In actual fact, I think it runs all the way up to Holyhead. It passes through StAlbans (about ten miles or so from where our fire Station was), which was called Verulamium in Roman times. There are plenty of traces of Roman walls in and around St Albans, and a brilliant Museum, stacked with various artifacts.

Around there is - if I'm not totally mistaken - St Mary Aldermary. Which I think to be interesting not only due to its organ but the name as well: 'Aldermary' means that it's older than Mary-le-Bow ... which on the contrast is world famous for the "Bow Bells". [Thanks to Peter Ackroyd, again :wink: ]
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 03:45 pm
Eva wrote:
I thought your memory of the doll was anything but trivial, CJ. Dolls are Very Important Things to little girls. As proof, I still have my favorite one. Her name is Jenny. She resembled me just like Monika resembled you. Jenny lives in a small, old, blue suitcase along with several of her dresses on the top shelf of my son's closet.

http://www.borge.diesal.de/board02/images/smiles/wub.gif
Hopefully, one day, your son is going to have a daughter and Jenny
will be a great playmate for her.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Early "vivid" childhod memories. What are yours?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:29:19