Now It's Dark

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:13 pm
The electricity went out late this afternoon. I walked outside to look at my neighbors' windows, in case the outage had nothing to do with the fact that I haven't called ComEd to transfer service since I moved in over a month ago. No one had lights on, so I had some hope.

Remembering the gas isn't working either, and realizing I couldn't cook any of the groceries I had just bought, I went to Subway. I thought, maybe the lights will be on again when I get home.

Driving back, I heard an ad on the radio, about some mail order school, or some tech college, and the voice kept insisting that more education equals more money. He stated all these facts, as if education is directly proportional to income. And I thought about how, after having just completed the 20th grade, I cannot afford the light to read the book I've just opened, a book entitled "Zero Debt." All my education has left me with is this crummy, overdeveloped sense of irony.

The neighbors' lights were on when I got home. My groceries--I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables--are rotting. At least I didn't lock myself out, like I did last Sunday, and have to pay some dude 150 bucks to turn a screwdriver once.

That's a lot of money. He must be in thirty-second grade.

(This post written in the dark, on a battery operated computer with an illegal wireless connection)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,216 • Replies: 22
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:18 pm
I hear you. I repeated 14th grade four or five times.

Do what I did. Find a chick who knows how to make money.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:19 pm
It must be quite rough coming from Alabama and living in civilization
again, hm?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:21 pm
Power outages are kinda cool for the first 30 minutes. I like lighting a few candles and enjoying the momentary quiet. But after that boredom sets in and the kids need entertaining. When we get high winds my street inevitably loses power. But you know what really stinks is when the neighbors 2 doors down have power while the rest of the street sits in the dark.

So on the other note, why is it that I work regular hours plus overtime to make the same amount as someone who works 9-5 with the same 20 year education plan? Sometimes I have to wonder what life would be like if I went a different direction with my education....Oh well.

Hope you get your power soon!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:54 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
It must be quite rough coming from Alabama and living in civilization
again, hm?

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:19 pm
Aw, Gargy, things'll get better. Take care of yourself...
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:52 pm
I worry about being able to make good money sometimes when I get outta college.

just remember that no one makes great money starting out in their first job.

I mean that dude turning the scewdriver has probably been doing it for decades!

with a little more job experience you'll be able to get a better job with more money someday.

unfortunately it also often comes down to who you know. for many it's not the colloge education they got but all the people they met and networked with while they were in college.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:57 pm
Power outages are fantastic. But what in the world were you doing on a comp, my friend?

You could have been out watching the other poor saps huddled in their dark houses. Having a wee bit of fun, maybe using paper.

Now I'll be off to Canuck Tire to buy back up generators...you know, for when that lucky end time comes. Smile
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 05:58 am
xguymontagx wrote:
I worry about being able to make good money sometimes when I get outta college.

Heed my advice: NEVER LEAVE COLLEGE.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:03 am
Did the radio guy mention that the glaring exception is if your education has anything to do with English as a subject? Most especially creative writing. (Yes, that was my degree, too.)

Oh and art. Art's no good, either.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:10 am
On the other hand, he correctly used "it's."
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:43 am
DrewDad wrote:
On the other hand, he correctly used "it's."

Your right.

(get it?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:45 am
Ah, grammatical jokes . . .

I'm reportin' you to Con Edison . . . that'll teach ya . . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:52 am
That sucks, Gargamel, but at least you have your sense of humor intact.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:48 pm
Thank you Gargemel, I had my suspicions that leaving college would be a terrible mistake.

Now I have proof.

I'm living at college forever.

What do you think the retirement is like?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:54 pm
Get outta that college right away. The money you will save will buy lots of screwdrivers.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:15 am
roger wrote:
Get outta that college right away. The money you will save will buy lots of screwdrivers.

He's got a point.

You'll be happy to know my groceries have been spared. The next morning Arturo, my building's designated Mexican laborer, showed me the fuse box in the hallway.

Turns out I'm not as poor as I thought. Nor as smart.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:21 am
Damn, that's funny. Ha!

(A while back, I took my car into the mechanic -- I used to do all of my own repairs, out of financial necessity and at considerable risk to myself and everyone else on the roadwar -- and told him it needed a new coil. I new this. It's a Camry of a certain, it was having electrical issues on acceleration in wet weather, I've had the same model have the same problem in the past and the presentation is very distinctive. He tells me, no, no, I tested the coil, the coil is fine, you just needed new plug wires, rotor, distributor cap.

Okay, whatever, I pay him, take the car home, and with great satisfaction the next time it rains the car has the same problem. I take it back in, tell him the coil's bad, this time he agrees and replaces it with no charge for labor.

I'm feeling pretty good and manly at this point.

A couple of months later I decide the brake pads need replacing. Take it in. Tell them to do it.

He calls back. The pads have about 80% left, the shoes 60%.

I'm not feeling at all manly. I'm feeling like an idiot who's spent a lot of money on a lot of useless so-called education.

Kinda like not checking the circuit breaker when I've got no electric...)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:22 am
You should try Scientology®! It will make you rich and get you a pretty girlfirend.

I have earned a wonderful living playing the Savart's Wheel for decades and I owe it all to Scientology!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 04:22 pm
You should party with the rest of us next weekend. We'll get you sh!tfaced and you can drown your sorrows.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Now It's Dark
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 10:23:44