Mormons and guns, a dilema

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:38 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The Utah Supreme Court on Friday struck down a ban on guns at the University of Utah, saying campus officials cannot adopt a policy that runs counter to state law.

The university will not immediately lift its ban while the matter is considered in federal court, President Michael Young said.

The 44,000 students, faculty and staff on the Salt Lake City campus have been subject to the university's ban on carrying guns since the 1970s. Those who violate the rule can be expelled from school, although university officials said that has never happened.

Young said the school's interest is in keeping the learning environment safe.

Utah law prevents state and local agencies from restricting possession or use of firearms on public or private property. The university sued Attorney General Mark Shurtleff after he said the law applied to the school.

The university had argued that it had autonomous authority under the state constitution.

The Supreme Court said in a 4-1 ruling that "the university's claim is unsupported by the text of our state's constitution, its historical context or the prior decision of this court."

"The university is subject to Utah law prohibiting it from enacting or enforcing any policy restricting the possession or use of firearms," the court said.

In 2004, the Legislature amended the law to specifically include "state institutions of higher learning," among other things.

Chief Justice Christine Durham was the only dissenter, saying the policy is "necessary to the educational enterprise."

In a statement, Shurtleff called the decision a "victory for the rule of law." He suggested university officials could talk to lawmakers if they want an exception.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 233 • Replies: 7
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:46 pm
Hmmm... mormons... Young.... ringing a bell.

What a fun place!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:57 pm
Very interesting. Makes me wonder right away about other universities..

I've friends who went to med school there or got a doctorate, all long ago; I think that was the school - or is there also a Utah State? So what, just one of those degrees of connection re the question.

So, also wondering... can they drink alcohol in the dorms?

signed,

Bemused.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 05:10 pm
I kinda wonder, do "liberal" profs carry side-arms or are there any "liberal" profs?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 05:22 pm
A friend who got an english doctorate there was likely a liberal prof - let me reword, if he did do a teaching stint, he was a liberal prof - though I didn't follow his professional pathway. I suppose I could look it up. I don't know anywhere near enough about the university to surmise. Berkeley presumably has plenty of conservative and other mode than lefto profs though its fame is in other directions.

The people I knew who went to Utah to med school were pleased to get into med school and were fishies out of water in the context of the Mormons, et al.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 05:33 pm
with utmost apologies to warren zevon

Mormons, Guns And Money

I went over to the temple
The way I always do
I was hoping to acquire
another wife
or two

I'm a student at U of U
I don't take no risks
Mormons, guns and money
They'll get me out of this, hyeah

I'm the innocent bystander
Somehow I got stuck
Between the school
and a hard place
And I'm down on my luck
Yes I'm down on my luck
Well I'm down on my luck

I'm nervous in my lectures
'Cause I can't have my rod
Screw the university
Our next apeals to God

All right
Mormons, guns and money
Huh!
Uh...
Mormons, guns and money
Uhh!
Mormons, guns and money
Hyah!
Mormons, guns and money
Ooh!
Yeah!
Yeah
Yeah...
Uh!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 05:50 pm
Are guns a real problem with the students, or is this just political jockeying?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 06:01 pm
Seems contrived at first to me, but I can see easily how it could come up, even re an on campus arrest of a non student, n'mind student.

I'll try to be quiet while any actual info surfaces.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Mormons and guns, a dilema
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/13/2024 at 04:21:11