How long have you ....

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:03 am
..spoken for in one go?

Im not a very chatty person and will rarely start a conversation.Ive never made a speech and wouldnt want to.
But what is the longest amount of time you have ever spoken for in one go?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,395 • Replies: 35
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:18 am
Oh, loads...

It's the nature of my job. I conduct 45 minute interviews with people. I have to go through certain things (legally) so I have to talk all the way through. By the end of the day, I regularly have a sore throat. I have lost my voice after a particularly heavy week once.

Previously, I was a Training Officer - so spoke all day.

Maybe that's why I like A2K...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:25 am
Two damn days in a row. I (also) am a training officer - trouble is, that it all starts to sound like total bullsh*t by end of Day 2.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:27 am
Re: How long have you ....
material girl wrote:
..spoken for in one go?

You're asking moi, a teacher? :wink:

I have spoken to classes for considerable periods of time, when required.
Fascinating, always! :wink:

But public speaking? I dread it. <shudder>
I had to make a "fighting" speech to a local council committee last year. 10 minutes max allowed. I was so nervous about it I prepared, prepared & prepared! It went over surprisingly well ( Surprised ) but these things don't come at all easily to me.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:27 am
You poor thing stillwater...

I would NEVER be in training again!

I know what you mean about the bull though.

x
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:51 am
Im so jealous of people that can do public speaking.Im such ap ainfully shy person it even effects jobs because i avoid interviews.
One of my friends loves interviews and is a good speaker but she cant deal with other things that I can easily deal with and vice versa.
Very odd.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 04:12 am
Some people are just like that matgirl...

I used to get nervous, especially if it was a large group - but not anymore, it's just part of the job.

I'm sure you have many other talents that I don't share.

I do a lot of work with people regarding interview skills and used to train employers in 'fair recruitment practices'. Most interview panels certainly do take nerves into account, so unless you're going for a job that requires you to be more extrovert (sales etc) it shouldn't matter too much, as long as you are clear and answer all questions as fully as you can.

Don't be afraid to acknowledge your nerves vocally before the interview starts. And if you find yourself 'off' the question, pause... take a breath and ask the panel to repeat it...

I'm rambling now!

I just want to say there is loads of help out there. There are evening and day classes in basic Employability, you wont need all the elements, but the courses help those who are nervous at interview, and gives you the opportunity to practice them in a safe environment, which is what you need.

If you need any help in this area, just email me and I will send you some literature. Learn Direct hold the National Database of course and they will now about specific 'Interviewing Skills' courses.

x
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 04:35 am
Does working in telesales count? Some days I just couldnt face saying another word after finishing work at that god-forsaken job. Really used to get sick of the sound of me and get a really croaky throat.

(If the phone rang at home I quite often went into robot mode and said, "Good evening Direct Line Insurance, your through to Dorothy, how can I help you?")

x
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 04:51 am
The repetitivness must drive you nuts!!Especially when its a long opening greeting!!
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 04:56 am
Yes, I did loose the will to live sometimes. Luckily I don't do that job anymore but have every sympathy for those that do.

x
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:31 am
From the time I wake up 'til the time I go to sleep.

And then there are the nights I talk in my sleep as well.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:54 am
Giving evidence and being cross questioned in front of a Crown Court Judge is my least favourite pastime.

Not only are you scared sh*tless about the next question, and what traps it may contain, you are also trying to piece together an answer for the previous question.

Say too much and you leave yourself open, say too little and the Judge intervenes, making you look silly.

I take a spare pair of trousers with me to difficult cases.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:10 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Giving evidence and being cross questioned in front of a Crown Court Judge is my least favourite pastime.

Not only are you scared sh*tless about the next question, and what traps it may contain, you are also trying to piece together an answer for the previous question.

Say too much and you leave yourself open, say too little and the Judge intervenes, making you look silly.

I take a spare pair of trousers with me to difficult cases.

My goodness, is that what you do??!!!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:15 am
Only when I have to.......

Usually I am just recording cases that are unopposed. If someone has breached a Probation/Community order, they have to be brought back before the judge and the breach has to be proven.

If the little bugger in question denies the breach, he/she is automatically allowed legal representation, and when THOSE sneaky legal blighters get involved, they nitpick over every technicality.

B*stards! Shouldn't be allowed......
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:21 am
It's now been some 50 years of nonstop blathering.

Seriously, I can talk for hours if there's a reason to.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:30 am
You need a reason?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:35 am
Well, er, um...no.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:38 am
Sturgis wrote:
It's now been some 50 years of nonstop blathering.

Seriously, I can talk for hours if there's a reason to.[/quote}
Hehe, you just reminded me of my boss.
We all went on a work outing and he did nothing but talk nonstop on the way back, that was about an hour.He can be on the phone for ages.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:45 am
I can talk and talk and talk and talk....and talk some more...especially if I find the person on the opposite end of the conversation enticing, and willing to interact also.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:50 am
I recently sold on a retail floor so some times I'd have customer for more than 2 hours. While I didn't talk non-stop, it sure felt like it. Once per week I would do 12-hr shift too on a sale day. I would come home only after they picked me up on a blotter.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How long have you ....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/20/2024 at 09:43:36