Forbes Article: 'Don't Marry Career Women'

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 05:39 pm
Of course, yellow dresses make their skin look funny...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 05:45 pm
Right. And men have a deep aversion to red because it represents blood = injury in war/ hunting, which is imprinted upon their primitive brain.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 05:48 pm
Pink probably looks like oozing intestines... (sorry, it's the influence of the book I'm reading). Pink seems to be by now almost genetically anathema to men, which is, y'know, silly.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 05:49 pm
sozobe wrote:
Right. And men have a deep aversion to red because it represents blood = injury in war/ hunting, which is imprinted upon their primitive brain.

Oh? That would explain the red rag to a bull thing too......
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 05:50 pm
Ooh I have a better one -- they hate red because it represents menstrual blood. Yeah.

I saw a big group of apparently unironically preppy fratboy types the other day wearing varieties of pink (pink shirts, pink shorts, they all seemed to have some pink), it was rather bracing even though they seemed basically genetically annoying as a species.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 05:52 pm
Well, then there are the women who watched the husbands of their Mothers friends leave the older housewife who was indeed happy to cook and clean for a younger woman/ In by-gone years many of the abandoned wives lived nearly destitute after the husband traded them in for a younger woman. The so called career woman is looking for stability, the fall-back notion of providing for themselves and their children if their husbands turn 50 and decide to trade them in for a 25 year old.

Certainly in my case I worked to insure my children would have the benefit of financial support if my husband were to die, become disabled or divorce me. As it turned out, my first husband did become involved with other women (when I was only about 25) and the night he tried to kill me was the last night I ever spent under the same roof. I took the baby and left, and mr. career man sent 25 dollars a week to support the child we had together. He spent more on cigarettes.

Everybody in this country should have the means to make a living. If women stay home to keep house, that's great, but they need to know how to take care of themselves in case that doesn't work out so well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 06:14 pm
Sozobe, I treat colors like plants. I know thousands of plant names, and of course don't know tens of thousands of others. As a designer with various constraints, and seeing stuff around town, you can get to just plain HATE some plants.

but it's not their fault. They have a native place, and so on.

I remember loving turquoise in the fifties and hating turquoise in the sixties.
The colors stayed the same and I changed.
Why a guy could easily wear pale blue instead of pale coral or pale majenta? talk about culture...

I was remembering. When my husband's father died, he left a pin striped suit. Neither my ex or his bro wanted it. It fit me perfectly. I thought of wearing it, not as an ensemble, but the pants with say a black turtleneck and a lot of silver or the jacket and jeans. Never did, at least in part because I mourned the father.

When I moved from northern california I called them to make sure, no, they didn't want it, St. Vincent de Paul's it was. (Both brothers didn't want much of their parents' stuff, another whole subject). That suit fit me those years ago, but felt odd. Not me. Hmmm. The whole suit felt like too much not myself. But still, all this symbology is so.... tunnelled.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 10:54 pm
ossobuco wrote:
And yes, infrablue, I married a man who didn't earn much money for many years, or only sporadically, because of his brain and heart. Very interesting man, I still like him, though of course I'm still pissed as hell, mostly at myself. I get tired of reading about how experts say females select.

Would you say that your instance was an exeption to the rule?
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 01:09 am
As an unmarried twenty-something wading through the dating world, I found this article initially tasteless and, well, obnoxious. Now, I can't say it bothers me that much. If I ever get married, it certainly won't be to a fellow who is expecting some throwback creature who will live to adore him. I'm looking for a partner, you know? Someone who will support me as I do him.

I like to think the men my age feel the same way. (The exception being, perhaps, the western men I met along the way while living in Asia. But that's probably why they're there and not in their home countries. But anyhoo.) Of course everyone has an ideal person in mind. But I like to think the majority of women my generation and younger are unlikely to enter and stay in marriages where they have to sacrifice all their ambitions outside the home.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 04:06:29