How Many Pairs of Shoes Do You Have?

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 06:59 pm
Okay, in NYC your shoes are your tires okay so the first ten pairs or so are just the basics, work shoes, walking shoes, weekend breakfast, dinner shoes, then hack about, shopping shoes, park shoes, beach shoes, train to NJ shoes, then there are the sneaks and sandals, mexican huerrachis and thongs.

==
I am not excited about shoes, but BUT yesterday I went to the Rockport Store down in SOHO with a 50% coupon AND I bought two pairs of walkers for .........$75.00 ........ total.

major score... :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 07:37 pm
Ok, let me start by explaining that I have deeply sensitive feet. High arches. My metatarsals tend to wound themselves whapping on the sidewalks of the world. Can't have shoes too flexible either, or it feels like my ball-of-foot will mess up, break in two.

So, after that time I bought two, count 'em, two pair of four inch heel sandals and ...couldn't wear them except for that minute in the store, I have been on a lifetime search for comfortable shoes that wouldn't look goofy. Luckily, about fifteen years ago, goofy became ok, which has been quite a relief, I don't have to go around with striped adidas or nursing shoes in dressy situations. You think I'm kidding. I went from Vogue patterns to jeans and sneakers, not entirely because of the general change in clothing mores.

So, today, what is here, lying about on the shoe racks? This brings up that I have these great shoeracks, they came with the old house, are in the closets.

I have four pairs of Dansko clogs. One pair of black ones, exceptionally decrepit, almost too decrepit for yard work. Two pair of browns, semidecrepit and almost decrepit. One pair of new black ones, my dress Dansko's, somewhat scuffed.

Two pair of sneakers, ok. Two pair of colored loafers with slightly high heels, one in burnt orange suede, $5.00, Discovery Thrift shop, and one in red leather, too much, North Soles Shoes.

Two pair of sturdy Oxford type leather shoes, part of an effort to find just the right one pair of shoes to take on trip where I would be walking 5-10 miles per day on stone paving. They didn't make the cut, but who can throw Wolky's or Born shoes out the window?

One pair of Nine West brown laceups, $5.00, Salvation Army, Santa Monica, like them a lot, good for an art opening and no longer.

One pair of dressy sandals that are sort of cushy, Nordstrom's, them's my lady shoes now. One pair rubber boots. One pair Ariat boots, tight. One pair sorta fifties boots, $2.00, St. Joseph's Thrift Shop, Venice.

Call me Imeldilina.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:19 pm
I have a lot of shoes, but I don't wear most of them. I have several funky pairs: platform knee-high velvet boots, 6 inch platform sandals, etc. These funky shoes were gifts, whims - they are all shoes I got for under $20 or for free. I have worn each once prolly. There are hand-me-downs from my sister (acounts for about 1/2 my shoes): ankle/calf boots of various styles. I have several pairs of cheap thongs 2 a year old, one new this summer. I have work sneakers and excersize sneakers, hiking boots, and danske clogs. The clogs I have 3 pairs of (all black), one pair is 3 years old, one pair is one year old and the other is a hand-me-down from sis. I use the oldest pair to garden in. I also have a couple nice pairs of low flamenco-maryjane hybrids for weddings and 3 pairs of maryjanes of which I actually wear only two.

Wow, that's a lot of shoes. Time to clean out the shoe tree.....
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:59 pm
I have 32 pair, owing to a disorder, which renders me incapable of throwing things away. Sorta.

I keep some destroyed shoes for gardening and boating and washing dogs...

I really only use me brown leather Bass slide-ins, some black mules and slide-ins, tennises (destroyed and new), flip-flops, comfy platform wrap sandals, heels (2 black-brown-grey-taupe). The multitude of my shoes need to go to The Salvation Army. And I really need to update. I am a cheap shoe woman. Only two pair were over $70.00.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:04 pm
I have 3 pairs of shoes.....well, actually only one pair, I have a pair of docks and a pair of steel toed work boots. I'm the type of person who basically wears the same pair of shoes (boots) untill the soul comes off. For the past 3 years in a row i've bought the very same pair of boots. I can't get enough of them, they look good with everything i wear.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:06 pm
4 pairs, only 3 of them get worn.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:06 pm
That doesn't include my workboots or riding boots.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:20 pm
I have about 20 pair which includes 2 pair of leather cowgirl boots, 1 pair of black leather dress boots, and a pair of work boots. The rest are a mixture of dress shoes, sandles, sneakers, and moccasins.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 02:45 am
After a major cull (when shifting house last year) I now have something like 15 pairs left. The funny thing is, I seem to wear only 3 or so pairs all the time during any particular season of the year. The rest just sit there in my wardrobe.
And in summer I love nothing better than bare feet, most of the time around home. Very Happy
I've come to the conclusion that I suffer from a compulsion to buy shoes, but not necessarily to WEAR them! Confused Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 02:50 am
msolga wrote:
After a major cull (when shifting house last year) I now have something like 15 pairs left. The funny thing is, I seem to wear only 3 or so pairs all the time during any particular season of the year. The rest just sit there in my wardrobe.
And in summer I love nothing better than bare feet, most of the time around home. Very Happy
I've come to the conclusion that I suffer from a compulsion to buy shoes, but not necessarily to WEAR them! Confused Rolling Eyes

I always thought that women believe that she who dies with the most pairs of shoes is the undisputed winner! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 02:59 am
Nah, Wilso, we're just trying (somewhat optimistically) to find a pair that looks terrific & are also wonderfully comfortable! Why are they so bloody uncomfortable once you've left the shop Question Question Question Question Question Question Confused
They're the pristine looking ones that end up in the back of the wardrobe, while the "faithfuls" get worn to death!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 03:52 am
Snowboarding boots (2 pairs)
Ski boots (3 pairs)
Snowmobile boots (for snow camping)
Snow shoes
Set of chains (like tire chains in the ice)
Swim fins
Roller blades
Bicycle shoes (street)
Bicycle shoes (mountain bike)
Motorcycle boots (street, 2 pairs)
Motorcycle boots (dirt)
Running shoes (street)
Running shoes (dirt)
Running shoes (formal, black)
Hiking boots (heavy, steel-plated)
Hiking boots (light, day-use)
Hiking boots (clean and professional, office use)
Hiking boots (old, for caving only)
Teva sandals
Neoprene surfing booties (6 mm)
Gym workout shoes (white sole)
2 pairs, black leather (office)
2 pairs, brown leather (office)
Mukluk slippers
Large fuzzy bear-claw slippers

= 31 pairs

Hmm, is that accurate? I guess so. Absolutely no basketball shoes, workboots, ice skates, waders, dancing shoes, climbing shoes, soccer shoes, cowboy boots, spiked shoes, or any of that other crap that might clutter my closet. :wink:

I don't give a damn about fashion. The color and style can kiss my ice. But the construction, shape and composition is important for highest performance. A well-engineered equipment attachment system with ergonomic shock-handling substructure, lateral support and adequate torsional rigidity. That's all I ask. Carbon fiber skid plates are exceptional too, but that's . . . that's not for style.

Is it a stereotype that women care more for their appearance (being more visually oriented than men), while men have more stuff to do (functionally oriented)? I'm not sure what stereotypes are strong these days; they seem to change depending on what town I'm in.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 04:05 am
I have been an extremely good boy and did not buy a SINGLE pair of shoes during my vacation to India.

Does a pair of sandals count ? I forgot to pack mine and it was so damn hot out there .......
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 04:26 am
msolga wrote:

Sounds just like me! Confused

Ijust went and did a count - and I think I'm sneaking (or sneakering - 2 pairs) towards Imelda level! Confused Shocked Almost 30 pairs - sheesh! Who knew I had so many - and hardly any get worn now!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 05:29 am
Gautam! Welcome back. CodeBorg clearly does waaayyyy more excercise than I do. I have walking shoes, chef clogs, sandals, dress shoes and ca sais tout. 4 pairs. However, I do own 2 food processors. Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 05:30 am
Oops, one pair of cowboy boots, and one pair of winter boots. It's 6 pairs then.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:17 am
GAUTAM!! Welcome back! How was your trip?

Kerver, yeah, the beauty of docs is you can wear them with anyhting. I went through an approximately 6 year period where I wore only docs or fluevogs, with jeans, with dresses, with skirts... anything. Maybe some sandals on very hot days.

I'm currently eyeing boots. There are some soft brown leather patchwork boots that would go GREAT with my new vintage brown leather trenchcoat, but expensive... oy.

<picturing CodeBorg in large fuzzy bear-claw slippers...>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:28 am
Mrs. cav continues to inherit from mother-in-law Imelda....not sure how many she has now.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 04:43:36