Will representative government survive in Iraq?

au1929

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 09:47 am
Despite the religious, ethnic and tribal diversity in Iraq it is possible to establish a stable representative government. Or are we just "whistling Dixie" and the only thing that will hold Iraq together is a strong man government?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,741 • Replies: 21
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:03 am
Representative govenment could indeed occur in Iraq if it was created by the people that would be represented (strange idea i know) governments of and by the people are not created from the top down ("The Bush Plan") by foreign authorities. i would offer as an example the USA where a representative govenment was created by the people governed also known as we the people. Imposed governments are hardly likely to be successful simply because it is a contradiction of itself. Ideas we might have in the US to aid a modern government in Iraq would be centered around such assistance as a small business administration, a public health system, an education system and a functional/reliable judicial system. clean water, adequate sewarage and electricity would certainly be a boon as well.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:20 am
dyslexia
I wasn't asking how and by who a representative government could or should be established. I was asking could one survive based upon the diversity that exists in Iraq. Or will it quickly deteriorate into a Balkan type of situation.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:23 am
and my answer is yes, diversity can actually inhance a representative government in Iraq if it meets the needs of the people.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:38 am
Actually, that's the only way a government will survive in Iraq. Any unfairness seen by the people will never work. c.i.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:51 pm
Au1929:

Sixty Percent of the population in Iraq is shiite, and they want to install a theocracy. They even have a leader they want to take the job ... so what do you think??

Anon
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 06:55 am
Anon
I think the other 40% will not sit still for it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 07:48 am
au

In your original question you asked if it "will" survive.

In your response to dys, you asked if it "could" survive.

In my opinion, it could survive -- but I have reasons for supposing it won't survive -- at least not for any appreciable length of time.

I think we are whistling Dixie.

And my reasons for being pessimistic are directly related to what Dys was saying: If this had been an internal undertaking, I would probably be guessing in the other direction.

Fact is, I am not being completely facetious when I say: I'm not completely sure American can have represetative government survive this group of retards that have wrested control of our government.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:11 am
Frank
"Could" "will"semantics the question is the same.
As Reagan used to say "Here we go again." Another opportunity to bash Bush and company. Aren't there enough posts on a2k Bashing Bush to satisfy you. It seems that no matter the post or the subject of the post it always ends up the same way. I have many issues with Bush and would not support him however, I am still able to engage in a post without entering a discussion or should I say rant about Bush.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:12 am
I believe US troops will have to be in that country for about ten to thirty years if Democracy is to thrive according to the Bush plan. Which is not a problem if they really are planning to move the troops now stationed in Saudi Arabia to Iraq. That would more or less mean they do not plan to relinquish their hold on Iraq at all.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:24 am
The greatest detriment to representative government in that part of the world is religion. Until they are able to separate religion from government democracy does not stand a chance. Unfortunately that schism seems unlikely to happen
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:29 am
Mankind is a territorial animal. Religion is in the imagination, a territory more vast than any parcel of land. Naturally they struggle mightily to prevail in both arenas.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:37 am
au1929 wrote:
Frank
"Could" "will"semantics the question is the same.

There are big differences -- and I was calling them to your attention.

Representative governement COULD endure in Iraq -- but I don't think representative goverenment WILL endure.

I was using the change you made in your wording to make a point.

Quote:
As Reagan used to say "Here we go again." Another opportunity to bash Bush and company. Aren't there enough posts on a2k Bashing Bush to satisfy you. It seems that no matter the post or the subject of the post it always ends up the same way. I have many issues with Bush and would not support him however, I am still able to engage in a post without entering a discussion or should I say rant about Bush.

My comment about Bush followed the logical direction of your question. Sorry you thought it was inappropriate.

I apologize for thinking Bush is a muttonheaded, unintelligent, devious, dangerous person whose administration poses great peril for our own government -- and for having mentioned it in this thread.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:39 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I believe US troops will have to be in that country for about ten to thirty years if Democracy is to thrive according to the Bush plan. Which is not a problem if they really are planning to move the troops now stationed in Saudi Arabia to Iraq. That would more or less mean they do not plan to relinquish their hold on Iraq at all.

If Bush is re-elected, we'll need most of those troops in Iran.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:50 am
And leave Iraq in the same situation as Afghanistan?
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:31 pm
AU1929:

Exactly how much support did Saddam have while he maintained control?? Forty Percent, Sixty Percent ... What do ya think ??

Anon
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:40 pm
I might be a very stupid question, but shouldn't there be a representative parliament before creating a government - at least, in a democraty?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:16 pm
Walter, "It might be........" Wink c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:37 pm
Anon
Quote:
Exactly how much support did Saddam have while he maintained control?? Forty Percent, Sixty Percent ... What do ya think
??

The way Saddam controlled it he could more than likely have controlled it with 10%.
Torture chambers, prisons and mass graves.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 04:45 pm
edgar, And this administration got around that one by saying "we'll leave Iraq as soon as......" c.i.
0 Replies