Disappearing Pay Phones

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:03 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I have had a Nokia 252C analogue cell phone for about 5 or 6 years and only use it when I have to.

I had a Nokia analog phone for many years, through Bell South (pre-Cingular). It was big, (6.2 ounces) but I did not know what a "dropped call" meant, and I could get service just about anywhere. In fact, I was making calls in parts of the Grand Canyon, where other people could not get any service.

At one point I was told that the network was going over to digital, and that at some time, I would have to get a digital phone. I was told that I had about a year before the changeover. Anyhow, one day I was on vacation in New York. All of a sudden I found that I could receive calls, but could not make them.

I find that the digital network, although it is getting steadily better, is nowhere near as good as the analog network in terms of area coverage.

Some of the problems lie with the phone itself. I had an LG, where you could not get service in the facility where my mother lived. People there told me that just about no one could use a cell phone in that building. Anyhow, I recently got a Razr, which had more bells and whistles than I could possibly use. The upside is that I can make calls at my mom's facility, which is a great convenience.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:44 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Although...I did have a blow out on an interstate, and I feel the phone paid for itself right then.

That's what persuaded me to get my first cell phone too. I'd been resisting it for a while, but one winter a friend and I got in a car accident at about 11:00pm on the side of a highway in the middle of nowhere. It was only because of his cell phone that we were able to call for help.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:52 pm
Phoenix wrote:
Quote:
I find that the digital network, although it is getting steadily better, is nowhere near as good as the analog network in terms of area coverage.

That is the reason that I still use this phone. My brother-inlaw moved up (?) to a Motorola digital phone from the Nokia 252. He wishes he still had the Nokia. We can be in the same place and I can use my phone, but he can't get good reception on his. Cool
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:52 pm
roger wrote:
On the AT&T card, by the way, the time you buy is yours - period. It does not expire.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but you're talking landline, not cell, right?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:53 pm
Reyn,
You should note that the plans in Canada are not the same as in the U.S.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:54 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I did not know that. Interesting, I wouldn't have thought so.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 02:56 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Reyn,
You should note that the plans in Canada are not the same as in the U.S.
Yeah, I kind of figured, but I never checked AT & T yet. Perhaps one day.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:11 pm
Reyn wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I did not know that. Interesting, I wouldn't have thought so.

The Cingular digital network covers most of the major highways in the US, but there are a lot of gaps out west. I remember looking at the analog coverage map. It was almost completely covered.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQDhAvwav5tNOnQdSNmtD6zvr60WNpbCcaSQLhASl3mQD67XKzSPGp19FfPooNWLeUoHn4AqBV!fAlIbbsDf4mATH8fHcZz*3Hk*w!TGBpNgcFU0f3nxHBdcThKwyL9C/a%20gsm.gif
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:35 pm
I admit cell phones are great in an emergency and it's hard to find a pay phone, let alone one that works. I've been resisting get a cell because for years I had to wear a beeper and I always felt like one of those wild animals they tag and track across the Seringeti. You could be walking, running, pooping or making love and that thing would go off and people would always be able to find you. I have a hard time ignoring these devices- even when they are interfering with my life. I'll probably give in one day, buy one and get addicted, just like I did with the microwave.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:38 pm
I only turn my cell phone on when I want to make a call. In fact, very few people have my cell phone number. If they want me, they can leave a message on my hardwired phone at home. I can easily access the home phone by cell to retrieve messages and call back those whom I choose to.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 03:40 pm
Green Witch- When I got my first cell phone, I was only going to use it "in an emergency". My first plan had only 150 minutes on it. I find that I still don't use it a lot, but when I do need it, it is a great convenience.

I don't know if people realize this, but even if you don't have cellular service, you still can use a cell phone to call 911. You just have to make sure that the batteries are charged.

http://www.andreas.com/faq-cell911.html
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:13 pm
oh....I had to have a pager for work long ago too....I absolutley HATED it. It was like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yeah, that's why only the man has my #...if I need to give people a way to contact me, I'll give the land line, or my email address.

Sometimes I like to catch up with old friends, but I wouldn't use that phone for that purpose, since the minutes are limited...I'll use his cell where weekends are free.

I would NEVER give my cell # to my boss. She's literally addicted to her cell, and is one of those people who think nothing of calling someone to talk about something that can wait until work hours...THAT though is another story, and worthy of another thread.

Intrepid....you made me laugh...I've used the land line to try to locate where my husband is IN the house! Embarrassed

Green Witch, it's happened on occassion it's been more of a convenience, like being out and about and being able to call someone about their hours or directions. Then you don't have to go home to do it.

I'm a bit of a germaphobe, and in the last few years before getting a cell I would get all creeped out talking on a public phone....think Monk.

Those little walkie talkie type things...whenever I see someone with that I want to giggle....reminds me of cb radios.....come in good buddy....
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 04:20 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Those little walkie talkie type things...whenever I see someone with that I want to giggle....reminds me of cb radios.....come in good buddy....

Hey, I used to have one of those CB radios back in the 70s. Never could take them too seriously though.

These new radios are of interest though. You folks in the States have had them for quite some time (they're relatively new in Canada), but these new UHF ones (I forget the frequency) are worth considering if you're talking short distance.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:17 pm
Interesting. So far, 10 for 'yes' and 6 for 'no'.

Everybody vote who's posted?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:20 pm
By my count....you have had 12 different posters on this thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:25 pm
Well, a lot of people vote without saying anything.

I just did that on nimh's thread about nuclear power in the heat. I'm not smart enough to formulate a terrific response but I know what I think enough to vote.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2006 06:26 pm
Also, some comment without voting. Confused
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 09:29 am
@Intrepid,
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:40:19