nightlife in asian countries?

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 10:19 am
are there any difference from each country in asia?

what are the differences?

i live in taiwan so i can tell you about it.
in taiwan, pubs are so crowded on weekends. you can't even dance. the only thing you could do is stand on the dancefloor and just move your hips, but that's not dancing.
the entrance fee is so expensive and you only get one free drink ( few drinks to choose from).
if you're gonna but drinks, its expensive too.
if you're a woman, most likely you'll get hit on a lot by men. (depends)
most places are located on other floors ( 2nd, 5th) or basements.

glad to hear from ther posters who had been to pubs/bars in asia.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,706 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2006 07:47 pm
Hong Kong has some good night club spots with space for dancing.
0 Replies

oriental

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 10:05 am
haven't been to hong kong. but if got a chance i would go.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 11:42 am
Hong Kong was one of my favorite world cities before it was returned to Chinese authority. We haven't been back since, and shudder to think of how it has probably changed.

I used to go to a place called the Eastern Seas. Outside it looked like a plain office building with a movie marquee. The doorman's uniform was fancier than an Admiral's and he had an assistant. A plush elevator carried the visitor up to a reception area of quiet, understated elegance. There one was greeted by a fellow with an eye-patch dressed in a tux. He led me to a changing room and saw to it that I was helped to undress and secure my clothing in a locker. The first order of business was a shower. The shower stall was stocked with several perfumed soaps, and some of the fanciest shampoo and conditioner bottles I've ever seen.

Leaving the shower area one came into a large room dominated by a spa pool roughly 25 feet square. An ice plunge with a waterfall was located above one end of the pool, and around the top of the room was a dozen closed-circuit televisions showing the races at Happy Valley. The water was wonderfully hot and popular with local businessmen. Coming out of the water, one had a choice of either steam or sauna, or both. Both steam and saunas were large and far more elegant than anything I've ever seen in the West. I would spend hours going from spa to steam, to ice plunge, to sauna, and back to the hot spa water.

Eventually, one leaves. At the door one of the many attendants helps the visitor on with a short cotton robe, and slippers. Before opening the door, the attendant combed my hair with what looked like a golden comb. On the other side of the door was a relatively tall woman in a female version of a tux who accompanied me to an over stuffed club chair and hassock. There I was offered a variety of cigarettes, cigars and drinks. At the time I wasn't drinking really good single malts, but I'm sure if I had been that they would have been able to oblige me. There was in the room a very large television playing kung-fu movies, and a huge rack of newspapers, most of which were in Chinese. I settled in and worked on recovering my Mandarin while a young woman did my fingernails and toenails. By this time on my initial visit to the Eastern Seas, I was becoming a bit anxious as to whether I had enough cash back in the locker to pay for the services and products I was using up at an alarming rate.

The tux-clad woman came and asked if I were ready for my massage, and at a nod, helped me to my feet and to another door. Inside was a warren of cubicles, each with a massage table in it. Two young women received me and accompanied me to our table. There one spent about half an hour massaging my head, neck and shoulders. In the meantime the other woman worked upward from my newly trimmed toes. Above was an arrangement of bars, like a trapeze. They took turns after the first half hour in walking up and down my back, and wooooo was it good! An hour later the girls asked if I'd like another half hour, but I found an hour to be just about right. From the massage room, I was taken back to the dressing room where an attendant helped me dress. My shoes were polished and my jacket brushed carefully. From there another attendant combed and trimmed my hair before leading me back out into the front entry.

I expected to pay dearly for such treatment, but the whole 3-4 hours only came to about $25 American. I went down in the elevator and the doorman was already summoning a taxi to take me back to my hotel. The first night I went to the Eastern Seas, I thought I would walk back to the hotel. There was a light mist, but I was feeling so good that walking was a joy ... for about 10 minutes. Then I discovered I was walking the wrong way, and had to get my own taxi. Oh well.

After my initial visit to the Eastern Seas, I was hooked and became a regular while in Hong Kong. Almost every night I could be found there soaking and being rubbed into bliss. I met a number of businessmen and Hong Kong officials and police at the Eastern Seas, and some of us became friendly. I've always been afraid that my friends of the Eastern Seas didn't fare well under the Communists. Do the horse still run in Happy Valley? A few years ago, before I retired, I had an opportunity to return there, but turned it down.

You kids might think nightlife is loud music, frenetic dancing and drinking far too much. Older folks know better. After a full day to have a great dinner in one of Hong Kong's top restaurants, followed by watching the races at the Eastern Seas is almost beyond compare. Older folks can appreciate the Eastern Seas, where a man can relax and carry on a conversation while being catered to like an emperor. Ah, I DO miss the Eastern Seas.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2006 09:27 pm
My night life? hehe, book, and Internet, currently :wink:
0 Replies