Trolleys in the basket only queue!!!

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 03:05 am
Ive just been to my local supermarket to get some lunch.
I go to pay for my goods at the basket only queue as I only have a basket.
In the queue I find in front of me a woman with a trolley!!!
I could sense a man behind me getting agitated and looking at the trolley, he said boldy 'Errr' in the womans direction, she paid no attention.
I was silently egging him on to say something but he didnt.

Now, I didnt say anything and the man didnt say anything, what is it that makes us not say anything?
And why do I get wound up by it so much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 542 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 04:00 am
Stress-the confusion created when the mind overrides the body's natural desire to choke the living **** out of some arsehole who really deserves it!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 04:59 am
Over here we don't have a basket and cart line, but a 12 or fewer "express" line.

Maybe she was a Yank.

or....sometimes I'll have a fairly full cart and the cashier @ the express lane will not be busy and say "come over here".

I'll always ask "are you sure?" because sure as hell as soon as I start unloading, someone with 2 items will get behind me. If they give me "the eye" I'll tell them the cashier told me to do this.

Why don't we say anything? I don't know about others, but for me, 99.9% of the time it just isn't important. The one or two or 5 minute holdup just doesn't mean that much to me. Corny as it sounds, in situations like this, I try to "wear the world like a loose garment" touching me in few places. It seems silly to carry a grudge long afterwards about a person who never even knew you were there.

Just so you don't think I'm some self appointed saint...here's a story for ya....

You know how sometimes a person in front of you will, even inadvertantly, cause some kind of holdup? What gets me is when the person behind YOU complains to you about the holdup, and not the person causing it. What a coward. Even worse, when they complain about the cashier to you.
When that happens, meaning if they've gone on long enough that it's obvious I hear them, I'll just flat out ask them why they are telling ME all this, when I don't have the power to change it.

One thing that does irk me is when the complaints are directed to someone who is obviously new and learning.
Once, some girl who was new was doing her best with the person in front, but something went wrong with the transaction, and she was flustered. This guy behind me (let's just say he was not the picture of a healthy lifestyle) starts grunting to me about the holdup.

I looked at the 3 or 4 items he was getting and said "Yeah, I can see you're in a big rush to get home and start eating those pork rinds and cheez whiz. Don't want to lose a second, to you?"
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 05:15 am
Ooohohohohoho, nice one.

I understand its not worth bearing a grudge over but it right royally narks me off for a while.
Especially when the woman had half a dozen other tills to choose from, specifically for trolleys!!!She didnt want to be held up but she didnt mind holding us up!.
Its one rule for some and another for others.

I was in a queue at the post office and someone was getting tax for about 6 cars.To me thats ok as its got to be done and you dont want to make multiple trips to the post office.But it was causing a hold up.
A guy at the end of the queue(looked like builder) half jokingly shouts down to me as I was next in line to be served 'your not gona be doing the same are you?'.
I hadnt a clue what he was on about at the time as I was thinking of my own things patiently waiting in the queue so I just laughed it off.
I wish Id said something to him.These things have to be done, it cant be helped that it takes time.

I seem to have selective annoyance features.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 05:16 am
The store my wife and I used to use quite a lot had a ten or fewer items check out on the left end of the registers. Consequently, we always took our basket to the ones to the right. Once, when we went to the register to the far right, just as I finished putting my groceries on the belt, a belligerent young man stood behind us with two or three items in hand. "Looks like about thirty items," he growled. I glanced up and saw they had moved the ten items sign to that end. Before I could say anything, he said, sarcastically, "Yeah. Ha ha." That irritated me enough I kept my back to him as I took my time counting out the cash and finally moving away from the register.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 05:52 am
Ok, another annoying story.

I was queing at a shop, the cashier handed me one of those signs that said 'sorry till closed' which she asked me to put at the end of the line behind me.
I saw a guy wondering around the tills with about 3 things in his hands, but thought nothing of it.
He then stood behind me in the queue.After a minute or so the cashier said to the man 'sorry the line is closed now'.The guy replied 'Ive been in the line a long time ACTUALLY'.
To this I thought 'kn*b'.
What amazed me was that he was trying to make out that he was in the queue before I but the sign there!!
Again i wish id said something but I was nice in those days.

I think we complain to other people so the actual person in question will overhear and correct their mistake.
I dont think we like direct confrontation.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 06:15 am
one time in Manhattan I was standing in a line @ mcdonalds...

A dishevled codger with bad teeth and carrying a pitchforth stumbled in front of everyone, threatening them with the tines.

He fell against the counter, tossing 14 pennies out and said "gimmie a cheeseburger, gimme a cheeseburger dammit!"

The 16 year old cashier leaned forward, slapped him across the head with a hot apple pie and said..."Get back in line gus, or you'll be dumpster diving for your lunch again!"

It was an exciting day in the city for me.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 07:58 am
In the supermarkets in the UK, you can take your basket of grocery items, "5 or less" , to the cigarette stand & pay there whilst getting a carton of Extra Strong Industrial Smokes.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:13 am
oldandknew wrote:
In the supermarkets in the UK, you can take your basket of grocery items, "5 or less" , to the cigarette stand & pay there whilst getting a carton of Extra Strong Industrial Smokes.

I usually find it has its own long queue of people who want lottery tickets.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 25 Jul, 2006 08:29 am
Yep, lottery tickets & then newspapers & magazines. When you get back outside you have too try and remember where did you leave the car ? Or did you get there by bus ?

C'est la vie
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Trolleys in the basket only queue!!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 08:26:34