chop wood, carry water.

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:55 pm
There is a Zen saying, "Before Enlightenment chop wood carry water, after Enlightenment, chop wood carry water." What's the difference? The tasks are the same. The need is the same. What about the frame of mind? Who is chopping? Who is carrying water?
Anyway I was surfing the cable t.v. today and came across the local public access channel and there was a video of a local rancher/farmer in the mtns somewhere in the area who had set up a video camera that for 20 or so minutes just showed him splitting firewood and you could hear the attendent sounds of the wood splitting as well as the birds etc in the background. That was it, I watched the entire video quite mesmerized. It was really very serene and calming. Not a single word was spoken.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 472 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Diane

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:57 pm
I wasn't around, was I?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:58 pm
I'd have watched too..... too bad the video isn't online.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 11:39 pm
Yep...rhythmic motion, good sounds.........
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 12:02 pm
Dys, you doing Peyote again?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 12:42 pm
Reyn wrote:
Dys, you doing Peyote again?
I did peyote once, it was in a classroom (cultural anthropology) , all i got was a tummy ache.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 01:48 pm
Are you sure that it wasn't god talking to you?

Apparently, he moves in mysterious ways.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:30 pm
I cut wood for stress relief.

Strong, pysical, repetative excercise. Reward at the finish. (big pile of wood). gives me a real sense of satisfaction.

Just need to make sure it a straight grained log.

competetive woodchop is popular in some circles here.

http://www.nikonclub.com.au/competitions/millennium/gallery/0003/images/2710-port-r3.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:38 pm
Where I recently moved from, Humboldt County in northern California, home of redwood forests and much more, people were very into both wood turning and wood carving. Lot of beautiful things made by those wood turners, not so much by the wood carvers of, say, large bears, as a group, though they must have fun at it.

I know, not the same as chopping wood, as far as getting a product out of swinging an axe - but not entirely unrelated.

I've been to this woman's studio... really, kind of a heaven on earth, to me. It was part of an open studios tour that they have in the county once a year.
http://www.woodguild.com/kasek/portfolio/portfolio.htm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:56 pm
I chop furniture. People dump all sorts of couches, beds, dressers and what all at the dumpsters. The trash man won't take them if I simply toss them in.The only way to get them picked up is to break them up with an ax and hide them under the trash. It's a messy business, taking out all the trash (diapers, cat litter, pork n beans cans and the like), putting in the furniture, and then throwing the trash back in on top of it. Get them all gone and the next day two or three more are tossed out there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:43 am
Edgar--

Aren't there any football bonfires in your corner of Texas?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 10:54 am
Edgar, maybe you can try advertising on craigslist. There is a "free" section, and I frequently see that kind of thing advertised, and often a quick "gone!" follow-up.

Even if it's crappy, there are people who will want it if it's free.

Shouldn't be much trouble at all, might make someone happy, and will save you the hassle.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 12:18 pm
The part about removing the garbage and picking it back up was tongue in cheek. I select an empty dumpster beforehand. Actually, the old stuff gets a good going over before the unusable gets stuffed. Dressers with no drawers, nasty mattresses, couches that look like hogs lived atop the cushions- -I have about a dozen big ones to break up right now.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » chop wood, carry water.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 06:22:14