Parsley!!! I love it!

Wy

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:39 pm
I have frozen basil pesto in small containers (for short times). The oil doesn't exactly freeze so it remains slushy. The flavor stays fresh, tho, longer than you can keep it in the fridge.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Jul, 2006 04:53 pm
Wy, I freeze basil I know I won't get to in a couple weeks (sometimes I buy it in largish containers). I have an icebube tray I use for the purpose. An icecube of pesto is just about one serving of pesto (the way I eat it). I store the pesto cubes (soft, but they hold their shape) in a freezer baggie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Just rereading this thread and saw your post, ehBeth..

I've been making a lot of parsley pesto this year - have some parsley in the yard, and happen to have a big bag of walnuts. Now I'm thinking I'll try a batch with some spearmint leaves too.

Oops, I should show the quote -
back in a minute.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:04 pm
@ehBeth,
There it is -

ehBeth wrote:

The best falafel I've ever had had so much parsley and mint inside that the inside of the falafel was green.

Flat leaf, love it.
Curly, not so much.

I've found that if there's a fair amount of mint mixed into the parsley, I can tolerate a LOT more parsley - which means a minty taboulleh is my favourite.

mrs. hamburger makes omelettes for hamburger that are nearly green from their parsley and chive content.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:07 pm
@ossobuco,
To littleK, also from earlier in the thread - I made a parsley potato soup one evening and I remember it being good. I'm sure I added a bunch of garlic.. and probably pepper.. as well as broth. (My new odd potato soup thing is to grate peeled red potatoes, not mash - can't remember which I did when parsley was the addition.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:08 pm
@ossobuco,
omigawd, that was the best falafel. The place that made those falafel closed, but there's a place brendalee and I go to that's almost got as much mint mixed in with the parsley in the tabbouleh.

<note to self to go to Sarah's. Soon!>
littlek

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 03:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I still think a good tabouli is the best way to eat parsley (and of course it has to be flat-leaf!).
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:14 pm
@littlek,
I made a potato dish last month " taken from the back of a package of small red potatoes (I’ve done similar with white). I didn’t note it I’m afraid, but wouldn’t hesitate to experiment if I couldn’t find the same product in future.

Maybe it was something like

Small potatoes " enough to fill the bottom of your casserole dish or what ever you use. Single layer anyway.
Large handful of parsley " chopped
Garlic…say, a glove or two, minced
Fresh ground sea salt " an ample amount (I love it)
Fresh ground black pepper
Fresh thyme " sprig or two, chopped
Basil (Uh, 1/2 teaspoon?, more if fresh)
A good drizzle of olive oil

Mix

Bake.

The parsley blackens and crisps up " delicious.

I might try it with a bit of oregano, too, or just with parsley, garlic, sea salt and pepper…whatever’s on hand.

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 05:17 pm
@Joeblow,
Ah, throw a couple of filets of a nice flaky white fish on top of that next time! Sounds yummy.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 08:23 am
My parsley survived a Michigan winter.
After a heavy garlic or onion ladened meal, we chew on it to eliminate buffalo breath.(my little nephews term)
First time I made tabouli, the cuisnart decided on a pesto.
littlek

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:57 pm
@alex240101,
Speaking of pesto. .... I just harvested my basil and pesto (two big pots full). I made a few servings of basil pesto and a few servings of mixed herb pesto, a few servings of parsley pesto. Talk about buffalo breath!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:00 pm
@littlek,
Breathe on that mozzarella di bufula..
0 Replies