about Singapore

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2006 05:55 pm
I am Chinese and I plan to go abroad for further study although I am 35 now. Is there anybody who has been to Singapore? Since most of the residents in Singapore are Asians, is it possible for me to improve my spoken English there? Thanks a lot!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,360 • Replies: 11
No top replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 09:38 am
ddlddlee

Hi, welcome to A2K. We share the common goal, I can see. Even I wish to pursue my higher education in Singapore from National University of Singapore. It was only yesterday that I read that Time magazine's survey had ranked it No.22 on its Best Universities in the World list. The only problem is they don't have any courses on Neurosciences, which is what I want to major in. They do have Biological Sciences,but that is my second choice. My final decision regarding the majors and the university, however, will not be taken before the end of 2007.

Oh,yea, Singapore is a wonderful place to be in. It is the least corrupted country in the whole of Asia and second only to Japan in terms of advancement. Unlike the Far East, people are well versed with English and they have loads of English publications, newspapers and consumer magazines, that I could write for during my stay there. I really look forward to going there.
0 Replies

ddlddlee

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 04:26 pm
Thank you very much, spidergal.
So, in Singapore, can we hear people in the street communicate in English usually?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2006 08:15 pm
They usually communicate in mandarin but because they also know English you can request them to talk to you in English.
0 Replies

giantgem

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2006 10:12 pm
i'm a Singaporean and i live in Singapore. is there any doubts i could clear for you?
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 03:45 am
giantgem wrote:
i'm a Singaporean and i live in Singapore. is there any doubts i could clear for you?

haha,u r here!!

Singaporean are very nice,just like giantgem! haha~~~
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 04:06 am
giantgem wrote:

Hey, Giantgem, hope you haven't forgotten your promise of hosting me when I come over to Singapore. Very Happy

For now, can you just tell me how many, and what all, English newspaperps are published currently in Singapore.
0 Replies

ddlddlee

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:39 am
Raymond chan, are you in Guangzhou? I am in Guangzhou. Are you Chinese?
0 Replies

ddlddlee

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 02:43 am
Giantgem, thank you. Do you speak English every day, for instance, when going shopping, chatting?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:19 am
Lee, I am happy wisdom struck your senses at an apt time and you deleted your email from the post. Laughing
0 Replies

raymond chan

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 01:47 pm
ddlddlee wrote:
Giantgem, thank you. Do you speak English every day, for instance, when going shopping, chatting?

Hi,I'm now living in Guangzhou,of course,I'm a Chinese la~~~

Singaporean they often speak english more than mandarin in daily time.
But they can understand you when you talk to them in mandarin!!
0 Replies

ddlddlee

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2006 11:55 pm
spidergal, could you tell me what you meant by " I am happy wisdom struck your senses at an apt time", please? Thanks!
0 Replies