About Lei Feng, a Chinese Hero and Suntse, Ancient General

fansy

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:14 am
It is widely believed in China that Lei Feng, a national hero of the 1960s, is also adored by the military people of the United States. His portrait is found on the wall of classroom in the West Point Military Academy. Ding Xiaowen, Foreign Minister Li Zhaoxing's secretary proved that it was not so. However, some people who have been to the West Point Military Academy, told me that badges bearing Lei Feng's image were seen in a shop on the campus. I want someone to prove to us that this is true or otherwise.
And also if Suntze' Art of War, an ancient work on military strategies and tactics, could also be found in that shop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,697 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:48 am
Lei Feng might be known at the USMA at West Point, but it is completely incorrect that he is well-known in the United States. I seriously doubt that any such badges are to be found in a shop at West Point. I also rather doubt that his portrait is found on any classroom wall. He was a kid, fer chrissake, and had no military reputation whatsoever--he is only a hero in the sense of communist propaganda.

Sun Tzu is very well known in the West. I couldn't say if he is part of the instruction at the USMA at West Point, but it would make sense if he were. The Art of War is never out of print in the west--if you can't find it at a bookstore, they can and will order it for you promptly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 07:50 am
By the way, what you want someone to prove or disprove to you is a matter of hilarity--no one here is going to run over to West Point and diligently search all the shops for Lei Feng badges just to gratify you. Get a grip on reality--Lei Feng was a nobody who was killed in an ordinary traffic accident, and he is not going to be well-known or popular outside the propaganda of the PRC.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 10:11 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 10:45 am
Or merely more cynical stuff . . .
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 12:41 pm
The modern cynical genre has spawned many new subgenres with no clear counterparts in the mythology or folklore upon which the tradition of cynical storytelling is based, although inspiration from mythology and folklore remains a consistent theme since the rise of popular fiction in the twentieth century.

Cynical is not a proper subgenre as such, but a catch-all term employed to describe works of fantasy literature described in an antagonistic relationship with the more well-defined high cynical genre. As such, it can indicate fantasy that tries not to emphasise stuff that is Set in the real world and which contains realism and a more cynical worldview.
0 Replies