ARE YOU RIGHT HANDED, LEFT HANDED OR ...

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:44 pm
...DO YOU USE BOTH. How about some unusual stories, eg. eat one food with one hand and other foods with the left.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:45 pm
ML, are you curious . . . or just yellow . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 02:49 pm
Is this the Mapleleaf inquisition? Smile

Entirely right handed - the left hand is only there to stop my watch falling off - and I no longer wear a watch, so....

Well - one way to lose weight! Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 03:03 pm
Left handed, except that I can only use a scissors with my right hand. Go figure!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 03:08 pm
Absolutely right handed. If I did not need the left hand as an additional support while shooting the M16 assault rifle during my frequent active reserve service periods, I could have easily donated it for transplant, so much useless it is for me in civilian life.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 03:12 pm
I'm ambiguous...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 03:19 pm
Totally right-handed, except that when I played basketball, I favored my left hand for dribbling and shooting. No idea why...
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:03 pm
Does anyone know anything about what determines the dominant use of one hand over the other? And what about D'art's
Quote:
Totally right-handed, except that when I played basketball, I favored my left hand for dribbling and shooting. No idea why...
Dribbling and shooting require fine motor skills; yet, he does everything else with his right hand.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:04 pm
Yellow this...yellow that Embarrassed
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:14 pm
I need another voting option - mostly, but not exclusively, right handed
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:39 pm
I can shoot a layup, hold a frying plan, play chords, and steer a car with my left hand. Any other activity requires assistance from the right. (In some play-kickboxing lately, though, I did find it easier to react when I led with my left side -- I think because I had my strong leg under me.)

No good stories here, mate (hee hee hee -- "mate").
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:51 pm
I guess, I'm in the 'or' category. Wink ci
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:52 pm
Right-handed. I'm told that I started out as a lefty, as a toddler, but my mother retrained me to use the right hand to avoid imagined difficulties. My older brother is a lefty so perhaps she saw how clumsy things were for him sometimes.
I steer my car better with my left hand than my right. Go figure?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 04:59 pm
whooo hooo ! i got to vote !

thanks, ML - ya cute lil smurf :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 07:09 pm
eoe wrote:
Right-handed. I'm told that I started out as a lefty, as a toddler, but my mother retrained me to use the right hand to avoid imagined difficulties. My older brother is a lefty so perhaps she saw how clumsy things were for him sometimes.
I steer my car better with my left hand than my right. Go figure?

This is an interesting response--i'd read in college that right-handed people "train" infants to use their right hands, by placing objects in their right hands. Given the many social taboos against left-handedness, this might have some validity. Both of my brothers are/were left-handed--they went through their infancy and "toddler-hood" before the family left New York. However, my sister and I are both right-handed, and we were raised by my right-handed grandparents. This made the more sense to me, as the same source stated that the "primary hand" is larger than the "off-hand"--and both my left hand and left foot are larger than their counterparts--all of which had lead to wonder if i were initially left-handed, and was "trained out of it" . . .

Inasmuch as i have a standard transmission, placed on my right-hand side, i obviously do most of the steering with my left hand . . .

Just some thoughts . . .
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 09:15 pm
BOTH HANDS equally used while playing guitar, piano, harp, hiking/scrambling, or giving massage. I swim sidestroke mostly, switching sides every half minute.

Often use NO HANDS driving a car, left index finger as necessary.

LEFT HAND primary when arm-wrestling, skiing, typing, drinking or eating dinner. (I hate constantly removing a knife from my right hand, so fork and spoon are mostly lefties).

RIGHT HAND primary most of the time ... reading, writing, sewing, puzzles, wallet, ... left hand holds while right hand manipulates. Somersaults and flips usually land on my right arm. Girlfriend always goes on the right side.

ALL OF MY INJURIES, broken foot, torn ligaments, broken wrist, 5 stitches on finger, sprained back, 60 stitches on head, cap on tooth, ... are on the left side. Strange.

TRIVIA:

1) Do most doors push open from the left, and pull open from the right?

2) Stairs going up castle turrets usually wind to the right, so the defender backing up the stairs has the right-handed advantage.

3) Some yoga practices recommend sleeping on the right side to aid digestion. Any basis in fact?

4) Molecules can be left or right -handed. Does a left-handed person digest any differently? :-)

5) In the Northern hemisphere, more drains and toilets spin counter-clockwise than clockwise, due to the Coriolis effect from the rotation of the Earth. In the Southern hemisphere, it's the opposite. (Not. It's an urban legend!)

6) Studies have shown that righties live 9 years longer than lefties, possibly due to accidents. Studies have also shown that both believers and non-believers should understand how studies are done.

----------
"... when the sharp-tongued Benjamin Disraeli, so the story goes, was ordered in the last century to withdraw his declaration that half of the cabinet were asses. `Mr. Speaker, I withdraw,' was Disraeli's response. `Half the cabinet are not asses.'"
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » ARE YOU RIGHT HANDED, LEFT HANDED OR ...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 04:10:08