Are people fearful of using traffic signals?

ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:42 am
I am sorry Linkat, I look at this issue with a different perspective. I think it is usually more efficient for pedestrians to dart across unless the street is very busy.

If I push the button it is certain that cars will need to stop for a minute or so... even if I don't need that much time. Often I can find a natural opening that doesn't affect cars at all. Of course, truth be told, the real issue is that I don't like to wait... especially for a machine.

I also chuckle at out of towners waiting for a light (I am never sure if they have pushed the button or not).

There will be a bunch of tourist looking people patiently waiting until one of us locals comes and just confidently steps out in the street. Generally the out-of-towners will sheepishly look at each other, and then step out together trying to look confident.

Now a confession... sometimes I use the light to my advantage without following the rules. Where Mass Ave crosses Route 16 in Arlington there is a very busy set of streets with a annoying traffic pattern and a very quick cycle for pedestrians to cross. I generally want to cross twice (i.e. from the SW corner of the intersection to the NE) but there isn't the time.

So I use the light (Rte 16 is very busy) to cross Rte 16. This stops traffic for a very short time (just enough to barely make it across one street). Then I press the light a second time... but I keep walking.

When the traffic is stopped again for the walk sign (with no one there to cross)... I am nearly a block up Mass Ave... but traffic is stopped at least one way and this gives me the chance to cross Mass Ave without a crosswalk where it is convenient.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 09:53 am
Do you also feel it is safer? Also do you often drive in Boston? I find it much more frustrating as a driver to have to stop and avoid pedestrians than stopping at a light.

As an aside I used to live in that general area of Arlington.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 11:27 am
Further aside...
That's where we kept losing Crazielady at the last gathering.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:07 pm
I agree waiting for the light is safer, but this doesn't balance the inefficiency of it all. I feel the safety thing is a pedestrian argument.

I have also noticed a big difference in behavior between inside 128 and outside 128 (for those not from Boston 128 is a highway that makes a big loop around the city of Boston). Inside 128, both drivers and pedestrians are aggressive and at times rude. The rule is pretty much that I need to get where I am going quickly and everyone else is on their own. Pedestrians don't obey the traffic light... but neither do drivers stop for crosswalks.

Outside 128 people are generally more courteous. I had a job in Concord (about 15 miles west of Boston) and was always a bit taken aback when people stopped when they saw me approach the curve to let me cross.

The strangest thing was that out there they wave all five fingers as you cross in front of them.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 02:21:09