The Point of Online Debating

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 02:00 pm
Ha ha ha!!

I read the thread title and initially wanted to jump in only to post: "it alleviates boredom and facilitates procrastination". But then I decided to read the damn article excerpt first anyway.

What a laugh!

And he's so f*cking right too. Jesus.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 04:55 pm
timberlandko wrote:
You have no rhythm.

I beg to differ on this one point. I do TOO have rhythm.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 04:10 am
parados wrote:
I do TOO have rhythm.

Who could ask for anything more?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 04:28 am
Dang - I just read it, too. Brooker is undeniably correct- and it makes me feel kinda dumb to admit it! Embarrassed

(anybody wanna argue about it?) Laughing
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 06:50 am
I do think that online debating makes us more prone to outlandish name-calling and ad hominem attacks than live debating does (I can't imagine something like Timberlandko's rhapsody happening in real life, though I would pay good money to see it)... but whether this is a difference of degree or kind, I don't know.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 06:56 am
timberlandko wrote:
Shapeless wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Your powers of observation are akin to those of the bird which keeps slamming into the picture window trying to get that other bird it keeps seeing.

That should be "the bird THAT keeps slamming," because what follows is a restrictive rather than a non-restrictive clause.

Grammar Nazi

Mr. Green

or fuddy duddy, according to JTT:

Quote:
Yitwail,

The notion that only 'that' can be used for restrictive clauses is an old canard, a prescription that was never, ever true about language. Both 'which' and 'that' are used for restrictive clauses, though admittedly with differing frequencies for different registers.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1789583&highlight=restrictive+clause#1790756
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 07:05 am
Point taken. As it happens, I'm also one of those people who objects to split infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions, though I've been known to break both rules. Sign me up for the Fuddy-Duddy Club!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 07:54 am
Shapeless

You'd enjoy this thread:

What are your pet peeves in English?

Timber

I've saved that for future reference/use. I agree that it's one of the funniest and most accomplished insults that I've ever read/heard.

My personal favourite (of a length which I can actually say rather than write) is:

"You white-ass, red-neck, corn-fed, chicken-sh!t, motherfcuker!"

Laughing

KP
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:37 am
Timberlandko wrote:
You are, at varying times, tedious, boring, and even occaissionally earth shatteringly hilarious in your idiocy, routinely childish, moronic, pathetic, wretched, disgusting and pitiful.

{applause}

It is nice to know that some things are universal....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 01:38 pm
Quote:
CALIBAN: You taught me language; and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse. The red plague rid you
For learning me your language!

The Tempest, I, ii

0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:22 pm
Well, somehow Timber's post comes rather close to what a teacher in highschool once told me he thouht about my intellectual capabilities.
He was a tad more concise though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:44 pm
Heh...!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:01 pm
"You snail-skulled little rabbit."

If you do not withdraw that comment, you puny brained, narrow skulled, reptilian bred, lice ridden, chicken hearted feather duster, I'm mobilizing the masses.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:02 pm
I always love the way them snails can expand and retract their antenna... Just imagine how useful a set of retractable bunnyears could be, Dlowan!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:09 pm
najmelliw wrote:
I always love the way them snails can expand and retract their antenna... Just imagine how useful a set of retractable bunnyears could be, Dlowan!

I can barely fit my whole brain inside there as it is!
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:20 pm
Hmm... Perhaps some lobotomy? I know it's painful, but you gotta think positive... At least you'd possess a unique pair of retractable bunnyears... Think of all hte money you can earn? There may even be interesting jobs for you as a playboy mascot... You can't put a price on that!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:25 pm
najmelliw wrote:
Hmm... Perhaps some lobotomy? I know it's painful, but you gotta think positive... At least you'd possess a unique pair of retractable bunnyears... Think of all hte money you can earn? There may even be interesting jobs for you as a playboy mascot... You can't put a price on that!

I pile turds upon Playboy.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:29 pm
Oooh... The big question of course is, do you buy them first before you pile the turds? If so, Playboy has still won Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:36 pm
najmelliw wrote:
Oooh... The big question of course is, do you buy them first before you pile the turds? If so, Playboy has still won Smile

I pile mental turds upon the enterprise, WITHOUT entering into commerce with them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:42 pm
I keep a few around all the time - I just read the articles....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 06/01/2024 at 05:11:22