It's 3 AM and it's just me and a billion chinese students...

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 01:15 am
all asking questions about English phrases and if I'll be their pal. I'm debating whether I should go back to bed and read a book or tell them what I'm going to have for breakfast in about 4 hours.
What do you do when A2K is going in circles and you can't sleep?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 558 • Replies: 17
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 01:46 am
I am here too...sort of...so it's you, me, and a billion Chinese students.

I do not want to sleep, I want to go home from work, but I am hoping the rain will ease off a bit first.

I read if I cannot sleep.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 04:41 am
Sorry I missed you dlowan. It's been raining here too with some serious thunder storms. I only got back my electric about an hour ago. I did end up reading some NY Times magazine articles I had stacked in a basket for about two years. I kept thinking I would get to them and now I did. It was nice to throw them into the recycle bin.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 04:44 am
I can't quite figure out the time problem...
So not sure how long ago this post was.

Over here it's 12:41h (afternoon)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 04:49 am
Hi Bohne - it's now 6:15 AM in the US. I put in the orginial post about 3 hours ago. I know time is different from place to place, but as an American from New York City, I believe only my time matters.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 04:56 am
so are you still awake?
or did you get some sleep in the meantime?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:15 am
It's 7:14 a.m. in Toronto now.

Hopefully, Green Witch is at work now - as I will be in a little while.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:25 am
Well, I don't have to work, but I will still sign off and do some work around the house for a change.
Will have visitors tomorrow, and it might make a better impression if some of the stuff has been cleaned away...
Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:36 am
I know that feeling..

GW, hope you got some sleep still
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:51 am
Good morning everyone :-)

are the students gone for now? HA
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 07:21 am
In school I hope. Learning.

Getting assignments so they can come back and ask us about lunch.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 04:48 pm
Razz
Bella Dea wrote:
so they can come back and ask us about lunch.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:03 pm
These chinese students are starting to worry me....

WHY do they want to know what we eat?

Are they trying to replicate our breakfasts, but infusing them with "knock-out drops" or even worse trying to get us hooked on "the goof ball"?

....and this thing about wanting to be our friends.
Jiminy Cricket...do they already know so much about us that they know they want to be friends.

Maybe they just want to be friends with those of us who eat breakfast. Since this has all begun, I find myself being much more conscious of what I choose to eat when I get up.

I find myself thinking things like...."Should I tell the Chinese students about what I'm eating today?", "I wonder what the Chinese students would think about me eating this?"

I was telling my new Chinese friend Wen about my mushroom omlette earlier, and I could sense she couldn't wait to tell the others.

I think I'm going to start telling them I'm eating cereal or toast, but instead have some leftover lasagna. That way, I won't get turned into a zombie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 08:58 pm
I sort of enjoy all of the questions, and admire Set for his sticktoitiveness in responding. I am perplexed about the matter of one question something like 28 times, dribbling in over weeks. Even the most fervently helpful can flag at that.

Might be nice if the teacher posted at some point, so we could converse a bit with that person re ways to work the communication to be more helpful to the students and not drive us berserko. (PS, I am conjecturing that class is usually on Monday..., but maybe not).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:15 pm
Ah, I see Green Witch suggested the teacher post on another thread... (great minds float upon the same river...).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:21 pm
I was thinking this was some sort of grass-roots spam. <mostly joking>

So, let's start some questions for them!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:26 pm
Yea, ehBeth has started that, and maybe some other folks have. Time will tell...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 06:05 am
littlek wrote:
I was thinking this was some sort of grass-roots spam. <mostly joking>

So, let's start some questions for them!

I too thought this was a joke a first, unfortunately they are serious. They do NOT look at other people's questions and they will not look at anything you post. All they are interested in what they have to post and I don't think they are even interested in getting answers.

In the past I've had some very interesting chats with Chinese students, this bombardment is just annoying and I am going to boycott the English forum and any thread that looks like it was started by a Chinese student.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It's 3 AM and it's just me and a billion chinese students...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 09:43:09