The new Batwoman is a lipstick lesbian!

littlek

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:32 pm
I love the idea that DC Comics is branching out into wider ethnic and gender diversity!

Quote:
Batwoman - real name Kathy Kane - will appear in 52, a year-long DC Comics publication that began this month.

In her latest incarnation, she is a rich socialite who has a romantic history with another 52 character, ex-police detective Renee Montoya........

..........The new-look Batwoman is just one of a wave of ethnically and sexually diverse characters entering the DC Comics universe.

Others include Mexican teenager Blue Beetle - who replaces the character's previous white incarnation - and the Great Ten, a government-sponsored team of Chinese superheroes.

Regular characters Firestorm and The Atom, meanwhile, have been reinvented as black and Asian heroes respectively. BBC
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 625 • Replies: 16
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 08:45 pm
I haven't seen any new comics in years. What does the 52 signify.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:52 pm
I have no idea. The only thing I can think og that corresponds is the number of weeks in a year.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 06:02 am
Are they making a black character named Token?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 06:09 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Are they making a black character named Token?

Ha!!

I agree with the 52 reference.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 06:52 am
Typically, periodicals (of which comic books constitute a genre) refer to a volume number. In such a case, "52" would refer to a volume number. As volume numbers typically refer to all of the issues of a year (the first issue of a periodical would be Volume One, Issue One), one would assume that this will be the fifty-second volume, in the fifty-second year of publication. If that were so, it would imply that Batman has been published since 1954. I'll do a little research.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 06:58 am
Apparently, the Batman series has not been published serially with volume numbers relating to the year of publication. This site gives the following origin for Batman:

Character Products-dot-com wrote:

I don't know if the comic were not published serially, or if the volume number does not refer to a year's worth of issues, but i'll delve a little deeper.

I found this at the same site, and found it interesting:

Quote:
Comic Buyer's Guide conducted a survey to determine the best of what the last hundred years of comic books had to offer. Batman was voted the most popular comic book character of the last century, beating out Superman, Spider-Man and many more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 07:04 am
Further research shows that Batman continued to appear in Detective Comics for many years, and it appears that at such point as Batman became a distinct publication (still haven't dredged up a date), the issues were numbered serially, without a volume number. More later, if i find anything.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 07:07 am
littlek wrote:
I have no idea. The only thing I can think og that corresponds is the number of weeks in a year.

This may be the answer. The name of the new comic series by DC Comics will be 52. From the DC Comics 52 page:

Quote:
52: A year without Superman; a year without Batman; a year without Wonder Woman...but not a year without heroes.

It appears that they intend a new issue each week for a year.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 07:11 am
Im waiting for the new Wonderwoman film.I can remeber seeing pictures of Tea Leoni in a WW outfit, that was about 10 years ago!!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 08:07 am
I was once asked if I was a lipstick lesbian. I guess because I was in KeyWest - they assume you are gay/lesbian first.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 08:11 am
Just had a google.Apparently there is a Wonderowoman film out in 2007 and Kate Beckinsale will be in the role!!!!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:47 am
Have a look HERE Cool
and for Ms. B's future workload CLICK THIS
For info only as "nothing is written in stone" :wink:
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:24 am
Linkat wrote:
I was once asked if I was a lipstick lesbian. I guess because I was in KeyWest - they assume you are gay/lesbian first.

I always assumed that the Queen was a man-hater.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:49 am
DrewDad wrote:

Heh heh heh - I'll never tell.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:01 pm
She'll never take the place of Cat Woman. Everyone knows Batman always wanted Cat Woman.

That was what made Robin so annoying. He never gave Batman and Cat Woman a chance to have any time alone together. Just when things where getting interesting, you could count on Robin to butt in and say something stupid like, "Holy Hannibal, Batman! You've made Gotham City safe for democracy again!!!"
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:46 pm
Linkat wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Heh heh heh - I'll never tell.

Take that box out of your mouth while you're talking to me....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The new Batwoman is a lipstick lesbian!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 02:27:16