Long long threads

Bohne

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 06:08 am
If you see a question/thread that you are generally interested in.
Then you see, that there are several hundred (or thousand) answers to it already, do you still check it out?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 566 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:04 am
Yep!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:07 am
Yes, and I go back about 10 or so pages to try and be sure I'm not posting something someone just put up, or to quote them if I'm reinforcing their point.
At least, I try to.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:07 am
Many people dive in on page 500, read a few posts and respond. Others dive into such a thread, read the first post, and then respond. Usually, the ones who are following the current discussion in a thread (not necessarily the titular subject) are those who have commented since the thread began.

A prime example: the "Evolution? How?" thread is now over one thousand pages, and now has more than 10,000 posts. It is quite common for someone new to pop up, and respond to the original post. The author has not posted here literally in years. The discussion wanders around the topics of religion and evolution, mostly, with a great many side discussions.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:24 am
Yes.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:28 am
If I am a newcomer to a long thread, I will always read the initial post and generally read the first couple of pages to see how the conversation started. Then I will read the last couple of pages to see where the conversation is now before deciding whether to jump in or not.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 09:34 am
It depends.

If I am really interested, I at least read the first post and skim through the rest of them. Just to check to see what's been said, the general atmosphere of the thread...etc..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 10:13 am
To see how many people jump in on a long thread without reading the intermediate posts, check out the "Evolution How?" thread.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 10:14 am
It depends on whether the word "orgasm" is in the title.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 10:23 am
I typically don't join in long, long threads even if I do read them and try to keep up with what is being posted. I think it is kind of rude because it seems to stall the conversation.

If it really sparked something I will sometimes start a spin off on the topic.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 11:05 am
I hesitate to join a thread of more than 25-30 posts, particularly if the thread is playful.

Someone seems to be whispering in my ear, "Ya hadda be there to understand."
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 11:14 am
No. I have a very short attention span and will not read pages and pages and pages unless I am very interested in the discussion. If a thread is over 30 pages and the title doesn't grab me, I won't read it.

At the same time I am a nosy git and am not inclined to make a comment unless I do read all the posts of a thread.

A long thread, to me, is anything over 50 pages. Up to 50 pages and I am not put off.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 02:45 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
It depends on whether the word "orgasm" is in the title.

or vagina, for that matter...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 May, 2006 03:02 pm
Gotta coupla questions for folks who're "put off" by "Long Threads" ... #1) How do you suppose they got to be so long? and #2) Why do you imagine that might be?

Anyhow, I think, if you're gonna join a thread-in-progress, it's just good form to read the inititial topic post, a few immedoiately following, and at least a couple pages or so prior to the point you've picked to jump in. Of course, that's just my take; ain't no hard-'n-fast rule, or nuthin'. I figure we're all pretty much here for the entertainment value - do whatever entertains you, and bear in mind, it don't take much to entertain some folks - set your own goals.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 10:21 am
I'd answer your questions Timber, but this thread is getting much too long and I'm leaving it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Long long threads
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 02:31:38