URGENT MAN DOING LAUNDRY QUESTION.

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:37 am
If I were to suddenly notice a reasonably vivid red garment slowly sudsing around in amongst what I thought was an armful of white laundry, is it likely to all come out pink?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 584 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:41 am
It is according to the fabric. Permanent press fabrics tend not to "bleed", while all cotton ones sometimes do. If you end up with pink underdrawers, there are products that will remove it. Also, you can rewash your pink unmentionables again, using chlorine bleach. That should take care of it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:41 am
That depends upon whether or not you used hot water. If you did, you're likely screwed. If you used cold water, you might get away with it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:42 am
Are you washing in cold, warm or hot?

Has the red item been washed before?

Does the water look pinkish?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:45 am
I've worked out what it is now. It's a top that my wife bought last week, a two piece thing that is basically a white Tshirt that covers all the lumpy parts, with an attached red/orange skimpy loose thing that hangs about on the outside of the Tshirt when worn.
She must have turned it inside out when she took it off and put it in the laundry bin. I just grabbed all the whites and threw them, in a manly fashion, into the washing machine.

Trouble is, most of the stuff going round and round are my plain white Tshirts.

It seems to be OK at the moment.....no pinking evident.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:47 am
Another thing. If you see that clothes have become pink, wash them again immediately while they are still wet. Drying them first would make it harder to remove. Also, if it happens, check each garment. Even in pink water, some items (usually cotton) will absorb the color, while others won't.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:48 am
squinney wrote:

1. 50 (I've just looked)

2. No. I think this matters in some way, right?

3. Not that I can see, though the bubbles are obscuring the scene, somewhat.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:49 am
Quote:
It's a top that my wife bought last week, a two piece thing that is basically a white Tshirt that covers all the lumpy parts, with an attached red/orange skimpy loose thing that hangs about on the outside of the Tshirt when worn.

Just in general, if a garment is red and white, it should not run. If one does, I would bring it back to the store for a refund.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:49 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Another thing. If you see that clothes have become pink, wash them again immediately while they are still wet. Drying them first would make it harder to remove. Also, if it happens, check each garment. Even in pink water, some items (usually cotton) will absorb the color, while others won't.

AH! Good ideas.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:51 am
If this all goes pearshaped, I am considering starting a new fashion craze.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:52 am
If your wifes top is white or light colored it is highly likely the dye used for the red piece is color fast (but dont bet on it)else it would run into the lighter portion when washed.

I ran a drycleaning store for 13 years.
if you are using hot water get the thing out of the wash just to be on the safe side. cold/warm should be OK
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:54 am
50's about medium, I think.

The digital readout says 36 minutes left.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Lord (call me pinky) Ellpus.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:54 am
Just in general, I never wash anything in hot water other than towels. Besides being more energy efficient, warm water is easier on the clothes.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 06:58 am
I wash towels on warm, whites on hot (w/bleach) and everything else in cold. I use Spray n' Wash in the washer for all my colds and everything comes out fabulous.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 07:03 am
Yes, it is likely...

Happened once to me, when my husband decided (not by accident) that it was OK, to wash a yellow T-Shirt (the only one I own) with beige colours...

Most of the stuff I had to throw out afterwards.
My favourite pair of trousers I died brown.

Of course I could not bitch too much, or he might stop doing the washing.
Now THAT would be a disaster!

Razz
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 07:11 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
squinney wrote:

1. 50 (I've just looked)

2. No. I think this matters in some way, right?

3. Not that I can see, though the bubbles are obscuring the scene, somewhat.

Red items that have been washed several times before are likely to have already bled out any extra dye. After a few washings, they should be able to be thrown in with darks, pinks, or like colors without bleeding.

As others have said, if the red is attached to white, you should be okay anyway. The manufacturer SHOULD make sure the two will wash together without ruining the white part.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 08:26 am
Everything came out OK!

My whites are whiter than white, apart from that one with the engine grease on it.

My wife LOVES me having a housework blitz. I can see it on her face when she walks in the door. It's that sort of fixed look, with wide, surprised eyes. I know she's only playing it cool, but I can tell, behind that glazed expression, there lurks delight.

Having said that, her first question is usually of the more urgent variety, and goes something like "What have you broken/scratched/smashed/stained etc., as, I must admit, I DO tend to be a bit vigorous with the moving around of delicate ornaments and things.

The glass shelf in the ornament cabinet springs to mind. It wasn't my fault, as I was just trying to re-arrange the shelf to a more logical height, when the bloody thing cracked in half. It wasn't the shelf itself that she was mad about, it was the set of Royal Albert china that she had sitting on the shelf below.
When I had superglued the broken bits back together again, I showed her that the damage didn't really show, but it didn't lighten her mood, really.

Then there are the times when, putting laundry away, I think to myself "You know? There must be a more sensible way of arranging all these things.

When I did this with the airing cupboard, it ended up with me getting out the scredrivers, in order to move some of the wooden slat shelves up and down a bit. Of course, this involved emptying the entire stock of the airing cupboard onto the upstairs hall landing, and rummaging around in the shed for an hour or so, to find the right size screws etc.

When she got home, it was all neat and tidy, but she noticed straight away that things were in a different order, and now she couldn't reach anything on the top shelf.

Don't even ask about the saga of the re-arranging of her underwear drawers.

Yes, she loves it when I do all the housework.

Thank you for your answers and ideas. I'm off now, to sort out the kitchen cupboards. That'll please her. Methinks I'm in for some kind of reward, this weekend.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 11:33 am
I'm partial to flowing ethnic garments and I've found tht flowing ethnic garments are not necessarily color fast for the first several washings.

Shout makes something they call "Shout Color-Catcher" packaged as 24 dye-trapping washcloths.

I'm not one to got chucking extra chemicals in my wash, but these "dye-trapping washclothes" work very well on exotic dyes.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 11:40 am
oh yeah.

It's just the nicest thing to come home and find it all straightened up.

It feels like this.... Surprised
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » URGENT MAN DOING LAUNDRY QUESTION.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 06:59:21