Calm my fear of flying!

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 02:57 pm
Too bad you won't be flying this time. I'm sure there will be more opportunities.

~~~~~~

Try to remember that the pilot's goal is to arrive alive.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 03:01 pm
Okay, I'll give it to you straight-- The takeoff and the landing will basically scare the crap out of you. In between, it's not so bad! Unless there's turbulence, in which case you might want to bring a clean pair or two of underwear.

I never took much comfort in knowing that I could die more readily in a car than in a plane, probably because in a car I at least have some semblance of control, however illusory.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 08:04 am
happytaffy
Quote:
It is called an ambien..LOL

HA, reminds me of a story..lol Short/Sweet version! I had to have some sleep studies done. Instructions were to take one ambien on the way to the hospital, the other when I arrived. Husband was convinced I was wrong, so I followed his directions. Took both before I left the house..Lets just say, when I got to the hospital, I was literally knee walking drunk. The nurse in charge offered me a wheel chair! LOL I told the nurse in that drunk slurred voice.."Noooooooo, I can waaa lll kkkkk...>giggle< I realllllly cannn..., I PRRROoooMISE!"

(I could have strangled him the next day)

Quote:
Too bad you won't be flying this time. I'm sure there will be more opportunities.

~~~~~~

Try to remember that the pilot's goal is to arrive alive.

That'd be my goal too! I'd just rather skip flying...I'd would rather walk...lol, or drive.

Quote:
Okay, I'll give it to you straight-- The takeoff and the landing will basically scare the crap out of you. In between, it's not so bad! Unless there's turbulence, in which case you might want to bring a clean pair or two of underwear.

I never took much comfort in knowing that I could die more readily in a car than in a plane, probably because in a car I at least have some semblance of control, however illusory.

UMMM, yep...thats what I was told...scary as hell I think!

The thingy about this job, is eventually there will be trips to China... Shocked So...I know there won't be any driving to THAT destination...lol At some point, I'm going to have to suck it up and be a big girl... My husband asked me if I was going to go with him, when he went? "NOPE! I don't believe I have lost anything over there..lol" (Yes, I am going...if/when, I wouldn't miss that opportunity for the world) But its just those preconceived notions of flying...I don't wanna......
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 09:39 pm
Thought you all might like to know that the husband got his first opportunity to fly today. It was not on a commercial air liner, it was on a Lear Jet that belonged to the company he works for.

They chose 10 men to fly to Pennsylvania today to enjoy the fascination of learning the set up on some new machines... (he's a tool/die man) I left him at the airport in H.S early this morning, he was set for take off at 8 a.m, and an expected two hour flight.

His take on the flight..."AWESOME"....

MY TAKE ON THE FLIGHT..."NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN!"

He called me about 10:15 this morning to talk to me, the first question I asked.."Are you there? How was the flight?"

He just laughed..."I got a story for you... and ........I'm at work."

"WHAT???"

Apparently after take off, they discovered the door hadn't sealed, they pilot couldn't get the cabin pressure right, but they chose to fly on to Penn...even with the loud whistling noise.

Then midstream of them still climbing, they all heard a loud POP. Which come to find out after they landed that they had lost the hydraulics to the plane. They had managed to set the flaps (whatever they are on a jet) so they could land, but that was about it....

Come to find out after the flight, one of the men that was sitting right behind the open door of the cockpit could overhear what was going on...and the co-pilot reached around and tapped him on the shoulder and told him to keep quiet about it.

They made a u-turn somewhere over Tennessee and headed back to the airport they lifted off from, after the pilots had a major discussion about trying to land in Joplin, Mo...which wasn't going to happen for some reason or the other...Now, these men are sitting here in this plane thinking they are landing because of the open door....

He said during the landing that they hit on one wheel and it tossed them upward and almost over...finally landing safely...to be chased down the runway by the fire department.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d34/Stephanie1970/th_NelsonsTriptoPennState001.jpg

They are rescheduled for two weeks out. Lovely...not!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:21 am
Funny how everyone's take on this sort of thing is different.

I read ^^^ as

"D%*^, those pilots sure can fly those things"
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:11 pm
Ohh ehBeth, don't read me wrong...that was our take also...Trust me!

My husband has bragged on those two men, and has talked highly of them each time he's had to retell it. He's impressed with the nerves they have...

I am too...

It'll be the same two pilots that fly them the next round...My husband said after they landed that they all joked about their experience...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:21 pm
The reason people are afraid of flying is due to the lack of control. It's enormous. You have absolutly no sense of control in an airplane. In a car, you still might not have that control but you feel like you have some control.

Flying isn't so bad. I don't like it. I never will like it. But I tolerate it because I'd rather get there in 2 hours instead of 21 hours.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:26 pm
Awww, SWIZZLESTICKS! You put those fears to rest. I've flown a bunch of times, and it's nothing.

Except for the one flight coming back from Cancun, Mexico. It was this huge plane, that had three seperate rows of seats(one smack in the middle), and the plane was sectioned off into 2 or 3 sections. On the ceiling of the plane were monitors all over. They gave us cool info like altitude, speed, time to destination, ect.

So we're flying along, and the pilot comes on the PA and informs us we're going to hit some turbulence. Little while goes by, and nothing. All off a sudden, it felt like the plane hit a wall, and started violently bouncing up and down. Unlike any turbulence I've ever experienced. Some people actually started screaming. Then the plane started going down...FAST. Cruising altitude was about 30,000 feet, and I watched it drop down to mid-teens in what seemed like seconds, before steadying. When the plane was going down, I thought we were crashing. The flight attendants walking by even looked scared as sh!t after that. You know something's up when even the staff looks like they saw Oprah bare-assed.

Well supposedly, this caused someone on the plane to **** themselves or something, because we had to make an emergency landing. And that was no fun either. Landed very quick and very hard. When we finally got back to Boston, I saw passengers crying.

I also grew up with a guy that is a commercial plane mechanic. He said the maintenance checks are a joke.

What else? When I was 23, I met this 36 year old stewardess. Man, I didn't realize what a blowjob was until her. Other than that, all the women who have thought to themselves, "damn, this boy knows how to go downtown" can thank her. What a teacher. I wonder what Deb is up to these days? But I digress. She was on a plane once that had to make an emergency landing because the instrument panel in the cockpit caught on fire.

Well, MMS, like I said. You have nothing to worry about. I hope I eased your fears at least a little bit.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:57 pm
MMS--

I'm with ehBeth--thank whatever gods may be for competent pilots.

My worst flight was from Denver, CO to Heathrow Airport just outside of London with two well-behaved pre-schoolers. Since then I befriend young mother's traveling alone and ask them if they would like me to keep an eye on the kids while they go to the bathroom all by themselves.

I predict your husband will be so fond of his First Flight Story that eventually you're might demand to fly so that you can have a story too.

Off into the wild blue yonder...hold your dominion.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:19 pm
Bella
Quote:
Flying isn't so bad. I don't like it. I never will like it. But I tolerate it because I'd rather get there in 2 hours instead of 21 hours.

Uhhumm...sure, not so bad...lol I've never flown..still. And after HIS experience, notta gonna.

He just kills me though...lol He's all about that now, lets go....were flying our next trip..yadda yadda yadda. I'm lookin' at him like he's lost his mind. Lack of oxygen....uhhumm.

Slappy
Quote:
Well supposedly, this caused someone on the plane to **** themselves or something, because we had to make an emergency landing. And that was no fun either. Landed very quick and very hard. When we finally got back to Boston, I saw passengers crying.

LMAO......I'd be the ONe everyone would be talking about when we got off...no doubt!

I have no want too....to fly. Not interested. But now, I enjoyed the video of his flight. What parts he filmed that aren't just the ceiling of the plane...ha.

Noddy
Quote:
I predict your husband will be so fond of his First Flight Story that eventually you're might demand to fly so that you can have a story too.

Ohhh...Oh he is fond of his story. I've been so tickled at him talking about it. Those men that had never been up in a plane yesterday were still chit chatting about it today at work. There were 3 of them I think that had never flown out of the 10.

I'll let him have this flight story...I still don't want one...lol
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 10:52 pm
I love to fly. I don't love the waiting around and how crowded I feel in the plane, but the rest is fun for me.

When I get nervous about turbulence or something, I think about my dad navigating bombers in WWII and how he survived all kinds of scary stuff. You know, like getting shot at or landing with pieces of the plane missing. If he could do that 60 years ago, I can certainly feel safe in a (fairly) modern jet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 01:08 am
I'm similar to Mac. My dad, by virtue of his job, did a lot of first time air stuff - I suppose I'll post a list one day. Not that that made me want to do all that, although I had fleeting ideas of being a pilot.. but that I just never got all shivery about getting in a plane. Getting in some cars with some guys, now, there is a question. Memories of a blind date set up by my cousins, guy with a red porsche (waves to Dys). Please, no needy show offs. I know Dys raced cars. This guy didn't, and hit mountains.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 04:30 am
MMS wrote

Quote:
I just don't see me getting on an airplane unless some doctor has prescribed me a valium first...lol

I NEVER fly without valium. All the statistics and logic in the world won't help if you are scared of flying. You know it's irrational but you just can't help it. So I say, get a little doped up and don't sit next to the window.

x
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2006 08:22 pm
Dorothy Wrote:
Quote:
I NEVER fly without valium. All the statistics and logic in the world won't help if you are scared of flying. You know it's irrational but you just can't help it. So I say, get a little doped up and don't sit next to the window.

Ohhh HELL YEAH...LOL I'm not gettin' on a plane unless we've had a relaxer or two beforehand. NOTTA GONNA HAPPEN! My stomach knotted up over HIM gettin' on the plane Wednesday...and I knew I wasn't going...LOL

Mac ~N~ Osso Bless your fathers hearts...braver than I will ever be. Its amazing at what they flew in some 60 years ago, versus today. And they lived through it. Thats amazing....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 09:48:49