Double cheeseburger, fries, and a coke---$.67....

Ceege

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:26 am
I'm watching Divorce, American Style (1967). Dick Van Dyke's character goes to MacDonald's and shells out a whopping $.67 for his dinner. I can't help but laugh when I watch older movies that show how much things cost back then. I don't remember the name of the movie, but there is an old Humphrey Bogart movie where he is driving across the desert and his gas gage is shown on empty. He pulls into a lone desert gas station, tells the guy to fill up his tank, and goes inside to make a phone call. When he comes back out he hands the guy a one dollar bill and says, "keep the change". I love it! Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 694 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:30 am
Hey, I can remember when it was perfectly reasonable to buy $2- worth of gas. A slice of pizza was 35 cents and a coke was fifteen cents. Ditto a cream cheese and nut on raison bread sandwich, with an orange drink was 50 cents at "Chock Full o'Nuts. Tipping was not permitted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:34 am
When I came to Texas from California, in 1957, there was a gas station across the highway from home that still sold cokes for $.06.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:35 am
My husband tells me when he was in his teens and early 20's you could walk around all day with 50 cents and not spend it all.

A Mars bar was a nickle.

In high school, you could always buy a slice of pizza and a coke for way less than a buck.

A bagel was what? 10 or 12 cents?

Yes, I remember getting a McDonalds hamburger, soda and fries, and change for your dollar.

Phone calls in a pay phone was a dime.

You could buy a Really nice dress for work for $15.00.

Drinks at a bar. Maybe a dollar for a fancy drink, a beer for .75 or .50.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:46 am
This thread is making me feel all misty and nostalgic.

I remember in my small town where I lived as a youth, movies were 25 cents. I can remember seeing "Psycho" when it was first released. :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:49 am
Oh yeah! Movies for a quarter!

and Raisinettes for a nickle or dime or something!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:49 am
Postage in the early 50s: postcard two cents, Ist class mail 3 cents.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 12:14 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Postage in the early 50s: postcard two cents, Ist class mail 3 cents.

http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/1958/august_1_1958_120500.html

Quote:
August 1, 1958 in History

Event:
1st class postage up to 4 cents (had been 3 cents for 26 years)

So it had been 3 cents during my entire childhood.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 12:17 pm
I thought so, but did not know the statistics.

So it had been 3 cents during my entire childhood. - Phoenix
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 12:41 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
So it had been 3 cents during my entire childhood.

hehe, Watch, you're letting your age slip! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 01:59 pm
Don't forget buying non filter cigarettes from a vending machine. Put in a dollar bill and receive the change taped to the carton.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 02:50 pm
Yeah yeah yeah.

Sent to the store with fifty cents to buy a loaf of Wonder Bread and a pack of Chesterfield Kings. I got to keep the change. (1953)

My first date in 1960: the movie was 35 cents each, popcorn was a nickel and cokes a dime. She (Janet Tomlinson -older girl in the eighth grade, I was in seventh) ordered a box of Non Pareils !! Eight more cents!

(No wonder I like Chocolatety kisses)

But let's remember that the hourly wage for my first real job (1962)(making donuts all night at Bess Eaton) was a buck fifteen an hour..

Joe(who's zooming who?)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 02:54 pm
I recall guys bragging about making $125 a week. That's not tall cotton, exactly, even then, but in those days a man could support a family, with wife working only as a desired option, not real necessity.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:33 am
I have no trouble remembering from the early 60s:

-gasoline was 22 cents a gallon

-first class postage was 3 cents

-a paperback book was 65 cents

Prices have gone up 10 fold in a little over 40 years. Or, to look at it a different way, because of the fools in Washington, the value of the Dollar has gone down 10 fold in a little over 40 years.

I can turn in my notice for early retirement any time now. And we have enough money to live comfortably and modestly, right now. Its thinking about what will happen to the value of the dollar over the next few decades that scares me to death.

That is, unless you think the people running the show in Washington today and tomorrow are so much smarter than our leaders were in the 60s and 70s.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:41 pm
yeah, bag of chips (and it was FULL) was 10 cents; pop was 10 cents; pack of smokes was 35 cents; deluxe theatre - 50 cents...i think stamps were 6 cents then... you could even buy penny candy then - mojos - 2 for 1, licorice babies - 3 for 1, etc...

when i started drinking (underage), you could buy 5 draft or draught beer for a buck, a bottle beer was $1 and a highball was $1.25... I think a mickey was around $2.65...

Gas was 62 cents a gallon at that time (mid 70's)... I know, I pumped it. It wasn't unusual for someone to buy $1.00 worth (although it was kinda cheap - lol)...

remember those velvet paintings with elvis on them? I think they were $6 Smile lol
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Double cheeseburger, fries, and a coke---$.67....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:22:20