Cell phone chats, better than reality TV!

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 04:31 pm
Ok, I was born a natural observer...perhaps I am crazy, but on my shopping expeditions, I have found that hearing other people's cell phone conversations is far more entertaining than any reality show I have seen. And, please...it is only eavesdropping if it is friends or family. Strangers do not count.

Today: Loud woman on cell phone: "Yeah, whatevah, saying you love me don't make up for you LOSING YO JOB! And, and....I already KNEW you lost your f--ing job, cuz (name deleted) TOLD me!"

A lot of people air some very private stuff with family, friends, internet peers even Wink, but airing it to the public at large on the street....it just don't seem right. Makes for good entertainment however Very Happy Any thoughts on what I see as a gross abuse of cell phones?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 845 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 04:51 pm
First we had elevator music invading public air space. Then every medical waiting room was equipped with a blaring television set. Cell phones are a logical development of even-if-you-didn't-request-it entertainment.

Why do people talking loudly on cell phones strike the general public as more obnoxious than people talking loudly to a flesh present companion?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 05:22 pm
Now #1 son bought a new cell phone. Does everything but brush his teeth.
Each person in his address book has a different ring. Mine is the 1812 Overture. Do you think that I should disinherit him? :wink:
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 05:37 pm
My cell phone hasn't been activated for quite some time. The few times it did ring when I was out in public, I was extremely embarassed! (No, I hadn't learned how to turn the thing off!) Never mind that driving a stick shift is not conducive to answering/talking on a phone.

The cell call I was privy to today happened in line at Eckerd's Drug Store. I was next in line, the woman in front of me answered her phone.....ahem.....

'your grandfather had to go back to work ~ I'm at the store......No, I don't know. <fiddling with her money now> well, you should have asked him that before he left.....<cashier is now glaring> can this wait until I get home? well, it's going to have to.....<I am now tapping my foot, the cashier is getting red in the face, lady is still fiddling with her money> okay, honey, have some ice cream.....i'll be home soon.....'

Upon hanging up, the lady looks at me and the cashier and says 'what would we do without cell phones nowadays?' and smiled disgustingly sweet. I responded with 'get out of the store quicker, possibly.'

Ahem.
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 12:52 pm
Hi all!

I don't know Phoenix, maybe just make it a mandatory order that he reassign you a different tune?

I just got a cell phone, I will only give the number to a few close family members and friends, explaining most of the time it won't be on, it's mostly going to be for me to call people, or for emergencies and or pre-planned situations, where I'll have it on at work, etc.

The strangest conversations I can't help overhear, are when I'm on the subway train, between stops, before the tunnel. Everything from wayward children to people making illicit dates--I recently included it in a poem about the train that I'm working on.

I'm still often startled by people walking down the street talking into them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 03:21 pm
Phoenix--

Emulate the anaconda--all mothers should. Like all snakes she can unhinge her jaw and swallow such improbabilities as a largish goat to digest at her leisure.

Perhaps I don't really need to loose weight. I'm just digesting a series of metaphorical, gastronomic goats.

Do you get the part of the 1812 with the cannon?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Cell phone chats, better than reality TV!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 10:51:11