Ciao Renato!

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:32 pm
My grandfather died last week. The funeral was today. There's been a lot of death in my extended family these last 10 years and each death brings a different range of emotions. When my grandfather died, I though that it was a mercy. He had had a couple strokes many years ago and, after my grandmother died, he had been living with first an uncle and then an aunt for 4-5 years, now. They have spoon fed him, changed his diapers, read to him, medicated him and loved him day to day. I never went to see him.

I felt like it should be less emotional for me because his death was welcome, but I realized that it wasn't because my relationship with him was complicated. Not complicated in any dramaitc way, but he was a cranky old coot in his later years and could be a little mean. I lost sight of how wonderful he was. Aunts, uncles, cousins of mine read thoughts they'd typed up, letters they'd recieved, shared thoughts that they had about granpa. A picture of him emerged - part old memory and part new knowledge. I guess that's what wakes and funerals are for. I have printouts of many of the speeches made, but not the beautiful love letter my grandmother wrote him after 70 years of marriage, just before her memories were lost to her and us through dementia.

At the wake there were 3 tables of photos and keepsakes on display to view. On one table was a card he made for me. He was a technical drawing teacher - a drafter. His card showed it, but it was also silly and sweet. Also on display was his old tobacco and pipe holder. I took a sniff and that's when I lost it. A moment later I watched as my sister did the same. Smells..... they hold so much memory. There weren't as many people as I expected. He was a teacher, I thought there'd have been more. Kids ran around and the funeral staff took away the bowl of mints because we were abusing their generosity, I guess.....

He loved nature with humans as part of it. He lead us into respect for all for who they are. And, even though he got over-stimulated and cranky when his grandkids swarmed into his home on holidays, he still loved to tease us. Once when I was 3-4 he came to stay with us on the cape for a vacation. He and I were on the beach, chatting, when he motioned me closer. I peered at him ever closer only to have him suck out his front-teeth dentures with a loud sucking noise pop - I went screaming for the house his laughter following me all the way. He would ask for hugs only to grate his beard stubble into our cheeks with more laughter. As he lay on his back on the floor to relieve his pain, we'd run around him only to have out ankles snatched up in an iron tight shackle of grandpa hands. He was.... well...he was grandpa.

At the gravesight, we laid bits and pieces of nature on his casket. He was a naturalist, he loved the wonders of nature and taught what he knew to all of us. He rejoiced at finding a crysalis, sighting a hawk aloft. So, we placed collected shells, feathers, pinecones, acorns, butterfly wings, crystals, bird and wasp nests, mica, twigs of hemlock...... on his casket after my mother read "The Tuft of Flowers" by Robert Frost. On the back of the card commemorating his passing was a poem he wrote.

Mulch Pile

It's the season for gleaning.
Seperating that which nature will not digest
From the richness of this season and of seasons past.

The mulch pile collects from trees and gardens.
There are a thousand workers for free
Who live in what to some seems ordinary,
And they change it all to rich black soil
From which beautiful gardens may grow.

I must check the mulch pile occasionally for the richness therein:
I find branches too large to be useful and some roots the same.
It takes time and patience to search for the good
And to find, too, occasionally a treasure from the past.

Amidst bits of plastic, and glass, and wire,
Hidden by leaves and worms and weeds and rocks,
Occasionally an old merit badge, a toy pistol, and a plastic horse.
Whose horse, Mother? Whose treasure is it?

And the gleaning continues when the work is done.
The memories surge and tears emerge --
What fun they had, alone or with others,
What a rich, rich field of life --
Of life with discovery and energy and tears and joy.

We all must glean occasionally
Through our thoughts and emotions.
In each one of us there are treasures to be found.
Amidst the dross of daily life, they are there --
Beautiful memories, new thoughts,
Undigested morsels of no more use.

Lay bare and collect the fertile thoughts;
Bring them to the front to see;
Avail yourself of the fertile soil.
There is so much there for you, and for me.

So.... I brought some of last season's dried old seed heads and spent flower stalks from his yard to lay to rest with him. Grazie babbo, ti amo.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 841 • Replies: 32
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:34 pm
My condolences, kris.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:39 pm
Thanks Gus.....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
I never met either of my grandfathers.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:44 pm
That's too bad. How'd that happen?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
That was a moving piece. I had issues with my grandfather and avoided him until several months before he died, so I can relate. The last time I saw him, I hugged him and forgave all his trespasses.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:50 pm
The thing is, the time between his years and yours is not all that long - this becomes more apparent as you get older. As children, we have this view of the elders being in some neverneverland of time. Glad to see his poem, and I'm very sorry for your loss.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
My paternal grandfather was a real jerk. When my dad was quite sick as a baby, my grandmother asked my grandfather to drive her to town, to the hospital. He told her to let him die. She took the rest of the kids with her and they all walked to town together. My dad did come close to dying, but survived. After the ordeal my grandmother fled from Florida, with the kids, of course, and started another life somewhere else. My grandfather tracked her down, but by that time my dad and his brothers were old enough to fend him off and sent him packing.

My mom's dad was never around. He left my grandmother (or was thrown out; I'm not sure)

There's more to this particular story, but is is to macabre to post on this particular thread.

Another time perhaps.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:55 pm
Edgar - I'm glad you had that chance! I was close with my grandparents all along, but after his strokes he was vegetative and I thought it wouldn't do him any good for me to visit, so I didn't.

Osso - not much difference in our years - how do you mean? I have been thinking about age and aging lately.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:55 pm
That was a beautiful account, littlek.

All of my grandparents have passed away, 3 of them I knew (my dad's dad died before I was born). I wasn't able to attend the funerals of two, and for the third, I gave the eulogy. A weird imbalance, there, but the third was also the last, and I'm glad I was able to do that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:01 pm
Gus, write a thread - I'll read it there..... Glad the women in your family were strong.

Soz, I have fled from speaking at the funerals (6 in 10 years) because I am a coward. I hate getting emotional. As I watched my much younger cousin do a eulogy I realized how it must be a good thing to do. Thinking about my grandfather that closely would have helped to bring memories to the fore and to recall what he was all about.

The younger cousin was one of three who lived very close to my grandparents. They had a very close relationship even when my grandparents were near the end of their lives. Because I saw them at holidays, they were often feeling overwhelmed and cranky from the chaos. It was in the quiet times, my cousin remarked, that he got to see granpa's humor best.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:11 pm
Beautifully written, k. My sympathy to you. (hugs)

(Never met any of my grandparents. Displacement, migration to the other side of the planet & premature death all conspired to make any possible meetings impossible.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:22 pm
I only lost one grandparent before I got to know them. But, most I got to know while I was a child. By the time I was an adult, the depth of communication between us has become fairly shallow. Part of this is due to their hearing loss as well as mine. Part was due to the holiday-syndrom. Mostly, I should have gone to visit them on my own for some low-chaos time.

Thanks, Olga.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:23 pm
This will sound weird, littleK, but hey. Your grandfather was what, 80 plus? It's just that a batch of decades don't seem all so long to me now. Time constricts...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:26 pm
Osso, he was over 90. I know that time condenses the past. It happens to me, I see it. I can only imagine the effect getting more dramatic the older one gets.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 05:10 am
Hugs k.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((k))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Actually, I knew neither of my grandfathers, either...and only one grandmother!

I am glad you have the memories, cootish and all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 06:15 am
Renato was of Italian descent (obviously!), k. So you come from good Italian stock, on both sides?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 12:52 pm
Good italian stock through my mother. My father is more mixed: english, scottish, german (maybe irish).
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 04:53 pm
That's a beautiful piece of writing, lk.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 05:09 pm
littlek,

I'm so sorry for your loss. At least your Grandpa had a good long life. It sounds like he loved life and loved being in this old world of ours.

From what you've written, he sounds like someone who appreciated beauty, his family and the fascinating show that the world can be.

I guess we have to forgive older people who get a little cranky sometimes! Heck, I already get cranky sometimes! Hee!

Even though you didn't get to spend much time with him in recent years, you will always have your earlier memories of him to treasure. You will always have him in your heart and in your mind.

My grandparents were very special to me too. This has inspired me! Maybe I'll do a thread about grandparents and we can all share our memories!

But not today -- today is just for Renato! :wink:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ciao Renato!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 05:30:17